? Sub-q fluids- interactions w/ insulin?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kyle & Simon (GA), Aug 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle & Simon (GA)

Kyle & Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi there, Im wondering if anyone has any advice or suggestions re: interactions between sub-q fluids and insulin? I am giving Simon sub-q fluids every other day, and I am wondering if I need to wait until the bolus is totally absorbed before shooting insulin. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I've read that giving fluids and insulin 2 hours apart and in different locations is recommended. Can't say 100% though but this should bump your thread back to the top. :)

3. Kyle & Simon (GA)

Thanks for your help! I had to give them sort of close together at one point and I’m wondering if I diluted the insulin somehow?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Lantus acts by forming microcrystals that deposit in fat cells. They gradually dissolve which is what both gives Lantus it's duration and forms the insulin depot. If you are administering fluids in the same area as where you're shooting, it could have an effect on the insulin. I never separated the insulin shot from fluids by several hours. I did not shoot in exactly the same place as where I gave fluids.

Also, keep in mind that fluids can drop the BG numbers. You are "diluting" the amount of glucose in the blood stream. You may want to make sure to test so you have some sense of how the fluids are affecting numbers.

And no, you were not a "loser" by skipping the PM shot. You don't have enough data yet to shoot low numbers. You might want to start posting over on the Lantus board. There are lots of members who are juggling fluids, CKD, and FD on that board.

5. Kyle & Simon (GA)

Oh thank you! Ha ha you saw my note? Yes, I was feeling very defeated last night. I post over there constantly but thought I should give those poor people a break from having to help me every 5 minutes! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.