Switching from vetsulin to prozinc: Part 11

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Lisa and Smoky, Mar 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

My last thread is getting a little long so it's on to part 11.:p
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...to-prozinc-part-10.174361/page-2#post-1925997

March 26: Smoky AMPS at 222. I didn't give him the steroid last night. I'm feeding him the Nature's Variety Instinct wet food today to see if it helps with his food allergies and IBD. :) I thought 1.8 units would be a good dose for am since I am home to monitor today.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Good idea to try 1.8 u since you're home. Is this new food continuing to keep the litter box smell under control?

3. Lisa and Smoky

It's hard to tell Kris, I gave him the NV and FF yesterday. I think it is helping so far though. I'm just happy to see that his appetite is coming back again. He's not crazy about the new food.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    Reason for edit: Add on to post
    Kris & Teasel likes this.
  4. Lisa and Smoky

Has Teasel had enough fun jumping on his trampoline for now?:D
    Teasel, it's time to take some time off from the gym.:smuggrin:

5. Kris & Teasel

Teasel's gonna do what Teasel's gonna do, Lisa! I can't get too fussed by it. :rolleyes:

Lisa and Smoky likes this.
  6. Lisa and Smoky

I'm going to take my own little cat nap while Smoky is snoozing. :pI'm going to do a +4 test today and give him his lunch in a bit.

Rachel and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  7. Lisa and Smoky

Hmm... Smoky seems to be surfing in the blue numbers today. I'm wondering if the 1.8 units was not enough insulin for today. I mentioned this because he didn't get into the dark green numbers. I did have a gap in between tests, wanted to get in a +6 but didn't get there today.
    He was 131 for PMPS which is usually below the no shot number I use. I'm giving him the budesonide tonight so didn't want to skip his shot. Any ideas on a good dose to give, not sure what to give at this point.

8. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hmmmm...that's pretty low and it looks like he sat at that number all day. Any chance of stalling even for 15 min to see if he goes up at all?

9. Lisa and Smoky

Just a note to add: smoky ate about half of his usual amount today. He is not crazy about the new food. He wants his FF back again. :arghh:

10. Lisa and Smoky

I have about 20 minutes until his pm shot time. Is it just me or did he seem to be low and flat all day long? I did just feed him so that may raise his BG a little bit.

11. Kris & Teasel

You can try stalling, Lisa, or give a small dose like 0.5 u. A few times with Teasel I just fed him, waited about 45 minutes, retested and then gave very close to his usual dose.

12. Kris & Teasel

Yes he is low and flat - much better than high and flat. Hard to know what to do when a new situation arises.

13. Lisa and Smoky

I could wait about 35 minutes from now, he would only be a little late for his pm shot that way.

14. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

He really did seem low and flat ALL day which is what is confounding me. I mean, he stayed right at the same number from +4 all the way to PMPS time. Could be the food thing, but hard to say.

Ah I see Kris posted! Yep, her suggestions are on point (as always). Either of those would work...and can you monitor? Just so we have the data when this situation pops up again. :)

15. Lisa and Smoky

I was thinking about giving him a small dose as well. The 0.5 units sounds good to me.

16. Lisa and Smoky

Yep, I can monitor and get a before bed test in tonight, wld be a +3 or +4. I'm not sure which one would be better. He gets his steroid about 3 hours after his pm shot if that helps at all. Rachel, I was confused by him seeming to hold the same number all day long too.

17. Kris & Teasel

Maybe he has a plan to show you some green. I know that in Lantus Land people are warned to expect a surprise if there's a lot flat run of yellow. I have no idea why - maybe it's just a pattern that pops up.

18. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Some green would be lovely! I'd grab a +3...that will tell you if you need to get a +4 as well or not.

19. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky seemed to be in pain so I gave him some bupe. I decided on a no shot for tonight. He is sleeping all curled up in his chair. I think it would still be a good idea to get a before bed test even without having his shot tonight.
    I'll give him the budesonide in about two hours from now.

Rachel likes this.
  20. Lisa and Smoky

March 27: Smoky 194 for AMPS.
    I think that's pretty good considering his NS last night along with giving him a steroid. He had a similar number on 3/23 so am thinking 1.5 units for am shot.
    I can grab a few tests today since I am home.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Reason for edit: Add on to post
    Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  21. Kris & Teasel

Looks good. I think it's the overall positive anti inflammatory effect of the steroid on his IBD that's helping his BG levels.

Rachel likes this.
  22. Lisa and Smoky

Yep, I think so too Kris. Now if I could only find a way to get rid of the stinky poo. :facepalm:

23. Lisa and Smoky

Time for a cat nap before I get in a test for my guy later. I slept about 5 hours last night and need to be rested to spoil him later.:joyful:

24. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

What a nice AMPS after last night!

25. Lisa and Smoky

I just did a +6 test with Smoky, BG at 72. I need to go out and run some errands. I gave him a small snack of 1 Tablespoon of HC food in case he drops too low between +6 and +8 .

26. Kris & Teasel

I mentioned in my post #17 last night that he might surprise you. :)

27. Lisa and Smoky

I had a feeling that he would surprise me too, just not that much.:eek: He was 157 at +9 today, up from 72 at +6. He did have that little bit of HC food earlier though.
    I kind of panicked over the 72.:rolleyes:

28. Kris & Teasel

Very nice run of blue PMPSs! :)

29. Lisa and Smoky

I gave Smoky 1.25 units tonight. I didn't think 1U was enough and 1.5 might be too much. I settled for in the middle of the two.

30. Kris & Teasel

Remember when giving any insulin on a 160 PS would have scared the living daylights out of you? :woot:

31. Lisa and Smoky

Yep, I sure do remember that. It does seem ages ago though. I still get a little nervous here and there.:p

32. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hahaha it always seems like so long ago when we remember how terrifying it was to start! You're a pro now!

33. Kris & Teasel

Hi Lisa,

Just checking in. How is Smoky doing? His PSs are very nice. :)

34. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky was being a piggy yesterday. He ate 8 three oz cans of FF in about 18 hours.:eek: he is truly trying to eat me out of house and home. I'm still trying to find a food he likes and trying not to give him so much of the FF. This is his reaction to other foods. :banghead: wait... maybe it's mine too.

35. Kris & Teasel

Is the issue with FF that it causes stinky poo?

36. Lisa and Smoky

It seems to cause a worse smell than the higher end food does. Of course, those cans tend to run $3.00 for a 5 oz can vs 60 cents for a can of Friskies. On top of that, he won't usually eat more than a half can and the rest ends up getting thrown away

37. Lisa and Smoky

Thought I wld try giving 1.75 units tonight since I can stay up late tonight to monitor him. Good idea or not?

Rachel likes this.
  38. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Sounds good!

39. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky PMPS was 183 and I gave him just under 1.75U. I tested him at +3 and he had dropped down to 83. I gave him some Sheba turkey cuts in gravy which is 11% carbs. He also had 0.5 mL of budesonide for his IBD which usually raises his BG somewhat. I also leave out a can of FF in his feeder overnight. Shld I test him again or will he be OK until the early morning? Any thoughts?

40. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Are you still up? It looks like Smoky's nadir is around +6? I would try to get one more test...and I usually advocate for going to bed. There is still room to drop safely, but three hours before nadir is kind of a long ways to go.

41. Kris & Teasel

Hi Lisa,

I see you got past the nail biter last night. His numbers are really good. Any idea whether he's gained a little more weight?

42. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Wow! Must be something in the air...all these kitties getting lower than normal numbers!

43. Lisa and Smoky

He is about the same weight as before, 9 lbs now. He is not gaining or losing right now.

44. Kris & Teasel

Hi Lisa,

I see a no test and no shot this AM. Is everything OK?

45. Lisa and Smoky

Hi Kris
    Everything is going ok with us. Thanks for checking in on us. have just been so exhausted lately from lack of sleep. Smoky and I decided to take a break this morning so I could get some much needed rest. I'll be testing him tonight and we'll be back to our regular routine again.

46. Kris & Teasel

Whew! I'm a worry wart! :confused::blackeye:o_O

47. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear you've been so tired! Every now and then you do need a little rest.

48. Lisa and Smoky

I'm trying Smoky on 1.6 units for 6 cycles to see how he does. He ate 8 cans of FF yesterday so am wondering how much nutrition he is getting from his food.
    His PMPS was 174 tonight.

49. Kris & Teasel

H
    Hi Lisa,
    His numbers look good. I suspect his IBD impairs nutrient absorption and that's why he wants to eat so much. Have you weighed him at home? If he's at least maintaining that's a positive.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  50. Djamila

EIGHT cans of FF?!?!? Is there any chance that along with the IBD, he might be running low when you aren't testing, and that might contribute to why he's eating so much?

51. Lisa and Smoky

I weigh him every Monday but it's hard to tell. The scale at the vet clinic always reads higher than my baby scale at home does. He was 8.5 lbs at home this past Monday. He was 8 lbs 15 oz at the vets office on March 6.

52. Lisa and Smoky

I was home all day the last time he ate that much. He went down to 80 before going back up again. The steroid he takes usually keeps him from going too low. My vet said he may have to go to a raw food diet for a while to get his weight back on again. It's time for his shot so I'll be back in a little bit. Right now he is trying to steal my piece of fried chicken off of my plate.:D

53. Lisa and Smoky

He has this look on his face right now:D

Attached Files:

54. Lisa and Smoky

I have given Smoky 1.6 units for 5 days now. I thought about increasing dose a little bit to 1.75 or 1.8 units. I haven't done a curve on the 1.6 but I did one on the 1.5U. I am home to monitor for Sunday and Monday. Any thoughts?

55. Kris & Teasel

Yes, I think you could try an increase. I see you've entered 1.75 u on your SS. What's your take on how he's feeling over all?

56. Lisa and Smoky

Good Morning Kris. Oops, I just gave him 1.8U about 5 minutes ago. I didn't see your post right away. He is still having the very stinky poo problem, it wakes us up in the middle of the night sometimes.:eek:
    He is still eating a lot of food and the vet wants to continue with another month with the budesonide. He isn't gaining any more weight but not losing either. He has been a lot more active lately, just wish I cld get his IBD under control. I think that he wld feel so much better. I see that Teasel has been on his trampoline again.:p how he is doing? How are you doing?:bighug:

57. Kris & Teasel

Hi Lisa,
    Don't worry - 1.8 u and 1.75 u aren't much different. I think Smoky's increased activity and maintaining his weight are positive signs.

Teasel is very high this AM because he missed his shot last night. I went out well before shot time and didn't get home until late. He still bounces a lot but he feels better on Lantus. All I can do is keep working on the dose. He'll never be an easy cat . I'm fine - still hanging on to my sanity because I don't let Teasel's numbers get me down. :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    Yong & Maury GA and Rachel like this.
  58. Lisa and Smoky

It's good to get out once in a while.:) I need to do that soon myself. Hope you had a great time out.:smuggrin:

Kris & Teasel and Rachel like this.
  59. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky was 96 BG at +4 today. We had unexpected company so didn't get any extra tests in today. His PMPS was 180 and I can check him later tonight. Is it better to get in a +4 or a +6 test in?

60. Djamila

It looks like Smoky is lower at +6, but it's been awhile since you've done a curve, so it's hard to be sure. Anywhere from +5-+7 is probably good.

61. Lisa and Smoky

OK thanks for the advice. I thought a +5 test would be good. That would be at 1 am for me.

62. Djamila

Ugh. I hate getting up to test! I think that's a really good idea though looking at the dose and the pre-shot. Sending you lots of love and empathy!

63. Lisa and Smoky

Yep, I usually just take a nap at 11 pm EST and get up about an hour later. I don't work tomorrow so may just stay up with him. The steroid he gets before bed always raises his BG somewhat.

Djamila likes this.
  64. Lisa and Smoky

I just checked Smoky 30 minutes ago and his BG was 76 at +3. I gave him two tablespoons of LC food, he ate about 1.5 tablespoons of that. I also gave him the budesonide, 1 mL right after his +3 test.
    It's difficult for me to tell when his nadir is at night since bedtime is the time I give him the steroid. I'll check him again in a bit.

65. Djamila

Looks like we're all going to be a little sleepless tonight. Sam is 77 at +3, so almost the same. If you were closer, I'd put on a pot of coffee for us ;)

66. Kris & Teasel

And I'm still up keeping an eye on Cherish's kitty, Angel.

Djamila likes this.
  67. Djamila

That's pretty dramatic over there! Glad she has her BF there to help!

68. Lisa and Smoky

I think we are all up past our bedtimes tonight. It's funny you mentioned it since I just put some coffee on now.:rolleyes:

69. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky's BG is 93 at +5. I left him some LC food in his feeder for overnight. The feeder will close in four hours so no food 2 hrs prior to am test. The 93 was after no food for 90 minutes. I feel confident enough to go to bed now.

70. Lisa and Smoky

I will set an alarm for a few hours from now to make sure he is OK.

71. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Well I missed the PJ party! I'm up early though for work...does that count? What great numbers all round last night!

72. Lisa and Smoky

April 10- Smoky AMPS was 227 so he bounced a bit from the 96 at +5 last night.
    I wanted to add a note: I bought him some Evo cat and kitten for a low carb snack. He won't eat any of the freeze dried snacks, even if I moisten them first.
    I give him a few pieces after BG tests and meds. I did leave a little down at night for grazing this past weekend in his automatic feeder. He doesn't have any food for 2 hours prior to testing.

I'm not sure if the Evo is causing his BG to drop a bit. I think maybe the 1.8U was too much for him last night. Should I reduce 0.25 units which would be about 1.5U or go back to the 1.6U? Any ideas?

73. Kris & Teasel

Putting your comfort level aside, Lisa, the 1.8 u gave you very nice dark greens last night. That 76 was safely away from the 50 cut off. What do you think? Your comfort level is important too.

74. Lisa and Smoky

I just wasn't sure due to the bounce this am Kris. I'm OK with the 1.8U for am since I am home to monitor today. I was thinking more about for when I go back to work tomorrow.

75. Lisa and Smoky

He has slowed down on how much he was eating the last few days. I'm going downstairs to give him his am shot now.

76. Kris & Teasel

Let's see what he does today while you can monitor. :)

77. Lisa and Smoky

Thanks Kris. That sounds good to me.
    Going to grab a quick nap before Smokys next test.;)

Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  78. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky PMPS at 168 so not sure if I shld continue with the 1.8 unit dose tonight. He is always higher in the am due in part to the steroid he gets at bedtime. I have been doing sliding scale dosing so shld I give a lower dose for pm?

79. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

1.8 gave you some lovely numbers last night on basically the same preshot. I think you could do that again. Can you check to see where he's headed tonight?

80. Lisa and Smoky

I cld only get in a +3 test and then have to go to bed after that. I can't monitor him overnight so I wondered if a lower dose might be safer

81. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hmmm...could go with 1.6 in that case. Does that sound good or is your gut telling you lower?

82. Lisa and Smoky

No that was my thought as well. Thanks Rachel:)

83. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Anytime! :)

84. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Lisa, is this a single meal feeder or the popular 5 meal one?

85. Lisa and Smoky

Oops I missed your post. It is a five slot feeder.

86. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

No worries :). Thanks for getting back!

87. Lisa and Smoky

Monday am Smoky BG at 156, nice blue number. I'm a little shocked since I gave a lower dose of 1.6 units last night. I gave him a steroid before bed which usually raises his BG. I'm giving him his am shot in 30 minutes so need to know if I shld give just 1 unit or 0.5 or something else? Any ideas or thoughts on that wld be appreciated.

88. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Are you home to monitor today (I know, that's always my question :p). I would think 1 unit would be good. Can you get another test in like 15/20 min just to see where he's at and if he's rising?

89. Lisa and Smoky

I'm working today so thought 1 unit wld be a good idea

90. Lisa and Smoky

I gave him 1 unit on a BG of 162 a while back and he was OK with that

91. Kris & Teasel

Nice! Go with 1 u, Lisa. Thanks heavens for the SS history! :)

92. Lisa and Smoky

I ended up giving him 0.75 units for am.
    Thanks for your help Rachael

93. Lisa and Smoky

Thanks Kris but went with 0.75 to be safe

94. Kris & Teasel

Always safety first!

95. Lisa and Smoky

I'm very surprised he was that low given the budesonide last night. I've been giving him Nulo wet food over the weekend to see how he does with that. So far so good. It's a better food for his allergies if I can get him to eat it on a consistent basis.

96. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Safety is most important...and you have to be comfortable with the dose! I think that's a fine dose. We'll see what kind of PMPS that gives him! :)

97. Lisa and Smoky

Smoky PMPS was at 209 so I guess I could have given him 1 unit this morning after all.:oops: I'm thinking he will be OK with the 1.8 unit dose again. What do you guys think?

98. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I agree. He's done well on it at similar numbers before, so it should be fine tonight.

Hey live and learn! It's better that you gave a lower number and were comfortable and KNEW he would be okay than worrying all day and it maybe being too much. Now you have some data if it happens again to fall back on. :)

99. Lisa and Smoky

You're right:joyful: thanks again Rachael

100. Lisa and Smoky

I'm thinking 1.8 unit dose for smoky tonight. His BG was nearly the same this past Sunday night and he had some nice green numbers then.

Djamila likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.