Switching to Lantus on Monday

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ann & Tess GA, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

I will be switching Tess from Vetsulin to Lantus on Monday. I just want to make sure I'm completely ready. I've read all the stickey's and will do so again tomorrow. I've been testing at PS, +1 and +6 (or +5 when I can't stay up that late). Tomorrow morning I plan to do a mini curve adding +3, +5 and +7 instead of 6.

We're starting w/ 1u BID. no mixing, no air into cartridge, no solution back into cartridge.

I've been shooting at 7:00am but need to move it up to 6:00 so I can have at least and hour before we have to go somewhere next Saturday I can do a couple of small advances tomorrow and Monday morning that way the Lantus schedule will stay the sam, Does that sound right?

She's been having a little problem w/ peeing accidents when she's asleep. Could this be from getting used to new wet diet? And will it be a problem for switching over?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

2. pjstroop

pjstroop Member

Hi Ann!

Sounds like you are right on top of things.. Reading the stickies and getting acquainted with how Lantus works.. I think you will find that it is a great insulin!

Many of us have to change our dosing schedules and usually do it in 15 minute increments per cycle.. Time changes happen.. Plus, giving yourself some extra time, especially in the AM is a good idea just in case you need to do a +1 before running out the door..

Please try to put Tess's numbers in a Spreadsheet to help others help you..
    Here is a link to get it started: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16

Also, I would suggest you have your vet take a peak at Tess.. A cat leaking urine could be a medical problem - such as a UTI..

Glad that you are here and look forward to hearing from you!

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Congrats on taking the leap!

You can move your shot time earlier by 15 min. each cycle without a problem. (Just an an FYI, an early shot is like a dose increase; a late shot is like a decrease. This is why we try to stick as close as possible to a 12/12 shot time.) Given that you have several days, moving 15 min. per day should be very easy on Tess.

I don't know what to suggest about the peeing. The only experience I ever had with that is with one of my cats after anesthesia. Have you mentioned this to your vet? Maybe some others who stop by will have some thoughts or experience with this issue.

4. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Hi Tess Welcome!

Sometimes I get so confused with the time thing (I'm probably a half a day ahead of you) So You want to start Lantus on Monday morning, and you have been giving Vetsulin at 7:00. Next weekend you need to be on a 6:00 schedule? Would you rather be on 6:00 schedule starting on Monday?

If you shoot your Vetsulin on Sunday evening at 7:00 PM you can most certainly begin with Lantus on Monday morning at 6:00. Vetsulin does not last even 12 hours so it is completely gone after those 11 hours (and it has no "shed" or depot effect either). It would be easier if you can do a 6:00 schedule this week to start out on that, as opposed to messing with shifting times during the first days of begining with Lantus.

5. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

Hi Ann! :smile: Welcome to Lantus Land!

I agree with Monique that you can start just about any time as long as you are about 8 hours past your last Vetsulin shot. The majority Vetsulin is gone from the system in most kitties by then. When I began Lantus after using PZI my first shot was 8 hours past my last PZI dose. It is much easier if you just start at the time you would like to be at for the first week, and not have to worry about adjustments as Monique said.

Also agree with having Tess checked by the vet for the urine leakage. That's not a usual reaction from a diet switch, and some diagnostics need to be done.

Hope to see you posting often!

6. Ann & Tess GA

Thanks, I was hoping that I could start at 6:00 on Monday to keep things consistent. I'll try moving both of tomorrow's shots up by 20 min so that it won't be too big a jump. The peeing just started and I'l talk to the vet on Monday (it's Saturday night here and no vet except ER available until then).

I do have a SS link in my signature. Do I have to do something to become a member of this forum or just continue posting?

7. pjstroop

pjstroop Member

Hi Ann!

Eyes are tired ... lol! I see that you already have a SS..

Yes.. just start a condo on Monday morning just like you do over in Vetsulin land..

You are already a member :mrgreen:

8. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

Hi Ann,

Leaking urine..
    Spacey had that problem too.
    In her case there were two possibilities (I think).
    The vet discovered during a urine test she's got during her dental that Spacey had sugar in her urine and possible blood.
    The last thing she wasn't sure off, could also have been from the poking. But when it's not from the poking, UTI is possible.
    Spacey didn't get any antibiotics then, I wanted to wait a bit, see how she is doing on Lantus.
    Because... the other thing I discovered...
    Is that she is only leaking on day's her blood sugar is high. I think there is a kind of overflow then because of the mayor urine production. Hence the leaking. I haven't had that problem since she switched to Lantus. Because she is lower in numbers now??
    Don't know. But there is this urine (or kidney?) threshold. And I thought that might have to do something with the leaking.
    Just my 2 cents. :mrgreen:

9. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

I really have no clue about the urine thing, but it does sound reasonable what Ella said. My sugar kitty is a boy, but before he was diagnosed his symptoms were typical. He was always at the water dish and the litter box was full 3 times a day! It seemed like I was always chasing him out of it, and sometimes he was running for the box and almost losing it on the way! Of course being a boy and being young he probably had better control. I guess if Tess has high BG and still drinking and peeing alot it could be simple overflow incontince. When shes sleeping and her bladder is overfull maybe she just dribbles a little, it certainly can happen to ladies when they start getting up in years. :D I would think a UTI would be associated more with constant squatting and pain. I know personally when I've had such you feel like you have to go all the time but very little comes. If it happens while she's sleeping it sounds like a muscle control problem either muscles to weak to hold it in, or pressure to high for "normal" muscles, or nerves controling the muscles are not working properly.

Shoulöd definatly mention it to the vet, and hopefully it will improve when her BG is better regulated.

10. Ann & Tess GA

Hmmmmm....... The old vet gave Tess an antibiotic shot that was supposed to last for 14 days after her dental cleaning, she started to leak just about when that would have worn off. One more thing to mention to the vet tomorrow. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.