Syringe type

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Rosie Lass, Apr 22, 2024.

1. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

Another question I am currently using the syringes on the left, which is what my doctor recommended the syringes on the right look like the same thing with half unit markings. Would I be able to use these in place of what I currently use?
    upload_2024-4-22_14-38-23.jpeg

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 22, 2024
  3. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Yes. And as Diane said, the ones on the right are what you want.

The most important thing is that they are both U-100 syringes (meaning for use with a U-100 insulin such as Lantus). The main difference is the volume of insulin they hold — the ones on the left that your vet recommended are 1/2cc (so they hold 50 units), whereas the ones on the right are 3/10cc (hold 30 units). It’s easier to measure doses with the smaller volume (3/10cc) syringes; they also have 1/2 unit markings which is helpful when dosing in less than full unit increments.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Also, if you live in the US and have a Walmart, you can get U100 insulin syringes with half unit marks for $12.58/100.

Either of these 2 boxes are the ones you want (with a purple stripe)
    upload_2024-4-22_23-37-23.jpeg

5. xsie

xsie New Member

I can’t find the Relion syringes on the Walmart app and didn’t see them in the locked case with the glucometers. Do you have to ask for them at the pharmacy counter?

6. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Yes

7. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, you can't order syringes online from Walmart. You have to ask for them at the pharmacy.

Ask for Relion 3/10ml, 31 or 30 gauge insulin syringes. Don't mention "with half unit marks" because most of their employees don't know they even come with half unit marks and many times will assume you don't know what you want and will try to sell you 1/2ml syringes (which you don't want). As long as the ones you get look like one of the boxes above, they are the correct syringes and WILL have half unit marks.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.