Tabby's numbers don't make much sense. please check and advise

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Matt & Tabby, Aug 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Any suggestions would be great as I am wondering her numbers are all over..

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

It is interesting. I think she is just starting to adjust to the insulin and food and is slowly dropping overall. If you can, set an alarm and get a +6 tonight. I think she will be okay but that is a pretty sharp drop. It would be great if during the day when you can monitor, but at night, it is a little nerve wracking.

3. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Well during the day I work till 6pm and tom which is Thursday I work till 8 pm so I have no idea what to do with the **** and dose then and Saturday evening I have a family event from 5 to 11pm bot being able to be home right at 6pm for her second **** some nights is what I need to figure out what do do and what not as well I feel like I can't go or do anything like I'm pretty much stuck watching her all the time makes it frustrating. I love this cat ti death but wow this is kicking my butt and putting me behind on things. I just pray at night that she can beat this and not have to be in insulin forever

dana moore likes this.
  4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I know it's frustrating but she is doing well. Slowly her pre shots numbers are dropping and the amount of insulin you are giving is less. Look back on your original thread. Cindi (Merlin) gave you a dosing schedule including Thursday.

Someone early on gave me some great advice - Remember to breathe. Take time for yourself and enjoy her. I hope she is improving in other ways - is she peeping and pooping regularly? Does she act like she is feeling better.

Matt & Tabby likes this.
  5. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

She poops a little different cause of the wet food being introduced.. peeing it a tad bit down since she was diagnosed

6. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

She seems more social . Still hides now and then and sleeps a little more then usual

7. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I saw your amps, Matt. There is no way to know what is going on until you are able to get more numbers - maybe one day of the weekend or a few random tests at night this weekend. I know it is hard to get those in, especially working full time. Your before bed test last night shows us that she goes down pretty fast in that early +3 time frame. It is possible she drops lower later than that and then bounces up for the morning test.

Robin had this great analogy that this sugar dance is like putting together a puzzle and the pre shot tests are a good start, giving us the edges of the puzzle. Other tests help us fill in the inside pieces and let us see the whole picture. We know you are doing the best you can. Just keep plugging away and get tests whenever you can.

8. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Matt, how is Tabby doing?

9. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Vet said her weight came down and that her numbers are sill high and that we need to be at 2 units twice a day. This was from Friday are vet follow up. Vet weighed her and took a glucose reading... $30 for her follow up

10. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I wouldn't increase that fast, Matt, but you hold the syringe. Note that her highest number was at the vet. Sometimes, because of the stress of being at the vet, the levels can go up more than 100 points. Then doses based on those numbers can be too much insulin when you get home and the cat relaxes. Personally I think you were getting some place with the 1.5 units. I would guess the 378 today was a bounce from a lower number overnight.

As we have said before, without mid cycle numbers, you are just guessing what is happening. You need that number 5-7 hours after the shot to see how low the dose takes her. If you just shoot based on pre shot levels am/pm, you run the risk of a low number mid cycle. More insulin makes this worse - lower numbers mid cycle, more bouncing for higher pre shots.

I hope you can get some numbers in that 5-7 hour time to see how low the 2 units takes her.

11. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

She read at 415 today at 6 pm so that's plus 12 from her **** this morning. Gave her 2 units. I will test her at midnight if I can to get a number... she doesn't seem to be eatting much today either

12. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Should I get a test at +6?

13. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I would definitely get a +6 test. Without that...we literally have no idea how the insulin is affecting her. The mid cycle numbers tell us how low the insulin is taking her and really EXPLAINS why the preshots are what they are.

14. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Sunday at mignight that's +6 tabby was at 317... monday at 6 am tabby was 92... I did not shoot monday morning cause of low number and had to be at work by 6:30

15. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Tabby also did not really eat much sunday.. just nibbled not the norm food consumption

16. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Wait...Tabby was at 92 this morning at AMPS? That's REALLY odd especially since the +6 was in the 300s. Did you get a second test by chance? Whenever I got a weird number, I always tested again (sometimes in the other ear) to be sure it wasn't a wonky test. That's just a failsafe since you might get a bad test strip, not enough blood, etc.

If you got a 92 or something like it both times...yeah, definitely no shot. That's super way too low, even if you were home to monitor.

17. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

I should of done a retest but was in a hurry to get to work. I'll be back at noon to check on her. Now I'm gonna be making her bounce numbers later on skipping the morning shot. I can't win.. my fault I should of tested and I did not

18. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Give yourself a break, Matt. We've ALL done it. It's possible her numbers really were that low...in which case you kept her safe. You'll know for next time.

You're being way too harsh on yourself. When Gypsy was first diagnosed, I used to blindly shoot 2.5 twice a day. Thank heavens I learned better or I would have killed her. I STILL grow cold at the thought that I did that. I've also given fur shots. Heck, I can think of at least twice that I got up, tested her, fed her...and COMPLETELY FORGOT the shot. And she was more than high enough for one...it just didn't click until I got to work that I hadn't done that. The first time I figured it was just a bad day, but the second I was so mad because I felt like I should have known better.

Every one of us has done something that we felt was a giant set back for our kitties. You may not have even thought to get a second test...I did because I had seen it on the forum before it happened to me. In the end, better too high for a day than too low for a moment.

You've done everything we asked of you. We ask for mid cycle numbers, and you get them. We suggest a weird shooting schedule to match work, and you do it. You're here, asking the right questions, doing EVERYTHING you can to keep Tabby safe...that's what matters. You are a GREAT bean...Tabby is so so lucky to have you. It's going to be fine.

19. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Thank you I apreciatte that alot... just want my cat back. She hasn't been the sane. Deff effects us emotionally

Tucker&Me likes this.
  20. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

Morning Matt. I was happy to see Rachel giving you some moral support this morning. She's a sweetheart, and so are you and Tabby!
    Boy, I can relate so much to feeling like this! I remember telling Sue, "I feel like I am trying my best, and my best just isn't good enough." I was so down with every tiny set back, exhausted and crying alot. I couldn't see ANY of the positives for all the perceived negatives.
    I know now that when our kitties are first diagnosed and we begin this dance..our lives become circumscribed and very small. Everything becomes about kitty! You said it yourself, describing your feelings about not being able to DO ANYTHING ELSE ANYMORE. Everything is like, " How will this affect Tabby?," or "I can't go there, that's Tabby's shot time" "Can't catch the late show, have to wake up and test in 2 hrs!" Sound familiar?
    I was pissed at myself for resenting some of these changes! And that didn't help either! Thank God for this site, because insulin, preshots, and spreadsheets were all I could talk about with anyone! My friends' eyes would glaze over!
    You're a very noble dude, Matt. You're doing above and beyond right now. You're saving a LIFE out of Love.
    And that's awesome.
    Things will calm down and Tabby will come back. Just stay right here and tell us about it. The veterans here have got your back :bighug: :coffee: :bighug:

Sharon14 and Robin&BB like this.
  21. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Absolutely! Matt, many people get this diagnosis and put their cat to sleep, saying they can't deal with it. You have chosen to save Tabby's life. And it is HARD! It takes a lot of time you don't have; it is frustrating and confusing. The best thing I can tell you is that eventually you will start to figure out how this dance works and you'll realize she is safe because you can test her and know how she is doing.

I'd think there are two possibilities for this am. Either it was a bad test (everyone has those) or the dose is too high and she really was 92 this morning. Regardless, skipping was the absolutely right decision.

I was concerned that the vet raised the dose based on one number in his office and didn't consider the likelihood of her bouncing. Regardless, she is likely to be high tonight because she hasn't had a shot for 12 hours. BUT if she were mine, I would go back to 1.5 units and try to get some mid cycle numbers when possible. (Not so important overnight tonight as her cycles will be messed up because of the skipped shot). But maybe 1.5 tonight and 1.5 tomorrow and try for a daytime +6 tomorrow, if possible. (Assuming she is high enough to shoot, always) It is really important to raise the dose slowly and hold it for a few days until her body adjusts to it, and get some nadirs so you know how low that dose takes her.

We know you are doing the very best you can, and that you want your old Tabby back. It will take time. Often it takes several months before people see the food and insulin working efficiently in the body. In the meantime, your job is to keep her safe. Someone once had this analogy: this is a sugar dance but the cat is leading and only she hears the music!

Bobbie And Bubba and Robin&BB like this.
  22. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Vet saw the spread sheet. Said numbers are still high and that she lost weight and the weight loss was a concern and said to put her at 2 units 12 hours apart if possible and that if she was under 150 to shoot half the dose.. like I have stated I am not a fan of this vet and looking for one I can't really trust because I don't get the vibe she really cares to to much or doesn't have the knowledge on this situation I am not sure.

23. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Wow - what horrible advice from this vet; "if she was under 150 to shoot half the dose." There is only one outcome to this advice and that is a sure visit right back to the vet or in the grave. Sure am glad that you have already figured it out to question this vet. You are doing great, especially with such a hectic schedule. That is another reason why I like Prozinc and that it is a little more flexible. Take care of your self while you are taking care of Tabby. She so appreciates it...I can tell.

Tucker&Me likes this.
  24. Robin&BB

Robin&BB Well-Known Member

Can understand why you're saying that, Matt!

As you mentioned weight loss, how much does Tabby weigh? (What do you think she should weigh, ideally?) How much are you feeding her now? You'd mentioned that sometimes she doesn't want to eat ... have you switched her over to low-carb canned completely now? Because, if you're still working on that, I'd make that transition slowly; can help avoid tummy upsets.

Just so you know: I think it's great that you're so committed to getting your Tabby well; I also know it's very stressful in the beginning, too!
    So rest assured: We've all got your back, Matt. (I think you can already tell by the responses you've had so far that we're all dedicated to your support & success in treating your sweet Tabby!!!)
    Sounds like you could use a lot of these right now, too >>>:bighug::bighug::bighug: :bighug::bighug::bighug:- Robin

25. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Thank u... yes we are on can food now

26. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Past few days she has not been eatting much .. doc said she weighed 9lbs few weeks ago and said she was a tad over weight by a lb.. last week's visit she said she lots a little didn't say how much

27. Robin&BB

The low-carb food should help her lose the extra weight. You said vet told you that Tabby had lost a little, but didn't say how much. (You might call your vet's office today & ask them to look at the notes from her last visit & tell you what the vet wrote down for Tabby's weight.)

A pound may not sound like much to us, as humans, but an extra pound on a cat is actually pretty significant --- as additional weight can
    make it harder to get your kitty regulated. One thing to keep in mind is that the food can either work with the insulin, or against it. When your kitty is diabetic, it's helpful to start thinking of the food as "medicine," too - much the same as the insulin is medicine.

So portion control of her food is really important, too: Can you tall me how many ounces of canned food she's getting per day right now (every 24 hours), and which brand & formula of food it is?

To help you assess Tabby's weight, here's a body condition chart

28. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Can we feed are cats tuna? Seems my cat likes tuna in the can in water. Albacore white tuna

29. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Yes, Matt, it is very admirable what you are doing for Tabby! Take a bow. And wow did this post ring a bell. My husband's eyes still glaze over when I give him the Bubba update. And I can relate to everything you just said here. It is a commitment! And we do have a lot to think about with this sugar dance but it is doable and when I read that someone's cat goes Off The Juice (OTJ) I jump for joy at the possibility for my cat too. Hang tight Matt!

30. Robin&BB

Would probably be better to go for something like the Fancy Feast Classics Savory Salmon Feast. (Most kitties LOVE salmon!) Tuna is known to be quite high in mercury. Also, when feeding any fish-based food, is generally recommended to limit it to once a week.

31. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Yep - fish only once a week. I give it as a meal treat.

Robin&BB likes this.
  32. Robin&BB

The other problem with feeding fish-based foods too often is that your kitty can end up a fish-food "addict!" I had that problem with Bat-Bat a long time ago; took me quite some time to get her to eat anything but fish. :banghead:

33. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Who sells young again zero carb cat food and is this stuff any good?

34. Bobbie And Bubba

Hi Matt here's a link http://www.youngagainpetfood.com/ I could not find it in any pet stores near me but that's not to say you won't. It's pricey but the cats eat less. It got my cats off dry food all together and now I don't even give them Young Again as they are on nothing but wet, Fancy Feast Kitten Turkey Feast and Wellness No Grain wet. It transitioned them to wet before I even finished 2 bags so it was worth it's weight in gold to me. Hope that helps.

35. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

O was debating on using young again and some fancy feast as well. See like her crunchy stuff lol... figure a little of that may help keep teeth clean along with some wet since it says young again is zero carb

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  36. Bobbie And Bubba

My cats loved it! You might notice soft serve poop for a couple days then it goes away.

37. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

I had two vets tell me that eating dry food does not clean teeth...it is just a myth. Brushing their teeth cleans their teeth.

38. Robin&BB

If I tried to brush Bat-Bat's teeth I'd need stitches:rolleyes: ... and a blood transfusion!:eek:

(Note to self: If you ever adopt a kitten someday, start brushing her teeth from the moment you bring her home! <sigh> Hindsight.)

39. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hahaha Robin, me too!!!!

40. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Agreed on the teeth cleaning/dry food. Someone on the forum once used the analogy that it was like saying humans could clean their teeth by eating crunchy cookies. Wish it were so......

Sharon14 likes this.
  41. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Matt, I resent your spreadsheet now that I can use my home computer again. Let me know.

42. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Tabby seems to peeing alot this even and drinking alot more then I have seen in a while. Any ideas or suggestions I am all ears. Thank you kindly

43. Sue and Oliver (GA)

You may need to up the dose, Matt, but it could also be that she drops low under night and bounces up for amps. Could you bite the bullet, set the alarm and get up 6 hours after the shot tonight and see what her number is?

If she is in the yellows mid cycle and pink at preshot, then you could up the dose by .25 for the higher numbers (pinks). I like the one unit for the yellow preshots. BUT if she is bouncing for that pink in the am, more insulin will make it worse.
    What do you think?

44. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Well she has been at a steady 2 units for a few days now. Not really sure vet said to stay at 2 so I have been watching best u can with work and stuff

45. Bobbie And Bubba

Matt, the more data you get on Tabby, the better everyone can help guide you. I know how hard it is to get up in the middle of the night to test but, it really dosebhelp to fill in the puzzle. Right now, you only have the outside edge pieces. Now, you need to get the inside pieces to the puzzle.

46. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

So what slots do I need to shot for her to I can try and fill them in this week?

47. Bobbie And Bubba

PS Right now, I am buying my time so I can take Bubba's numbers at +7 ( 12:30 am EST)to fill in the puzzle. The more data we get, the better we can help our kitties.

48. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

I order young again zero carb food and treats for her and supplement powder to hopefully comes this week

49. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I think you need overnight numbers - 5/7 hours after the pm shot. That would give us good info.

50. Bobbie And Bubba

Oh good, I will be anxious to hear how she likes it. My cats loved it. I don't give them the food anymore as I transitioned them to cheaper low carb food but, I do still give them the treats, especially at test time. I would say to get some +6 and +8 numbers on Tabby. Bubba was nadiring at +7-+8 and if I had not gathered that data, I would not have known that. It really is like a puzzle.

Matt & Tabby likes this.
  51. Bobbie And Bubba

Matt, go with Sue recomendations,, she has been doing this for a long time with great success.

52. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Ok I will get some.. also how long is the prozinc good for once the vial has been opened anyone know

53. Bobbie And Bubba

Matt, I am going out on a limb here, most vet have limited exposure to diabetic cats because most people euthanize their cats when they get the diagnosis of diabetes. These peeps on this forum have so much knowledge on diabetic cats. Let them guide you. I have complete faith in them to guide me.

54. Bobbie And Bubba

Matt, I think it is 6 months, but let's see what everyone else says. I am still using the one I started on May 26th. I think it is 6 months.....

Matt & Tabby likes this.
  55. Bobbie And Bubba

Matt, I was just looking over some of the past post of yours on this thread. Just know that I have made a lot of mistakes in trying to regulate Bubba. I am trying hard not to beat myself up but to look at them as a learning curve because that is what this dance is all about, a learning curve. There are no set rules, Every Cat is Different (ECID) and it is so frustrating, but every time I read on the forum that someone's cat goes into remission, I am so pumped. We can do this with everyone's help!!:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Matt & Tabby likes this.
  56. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Matt - My prozinc bottles go over six months. The one that I am using now is one that I bought the end of February, 2015. I would just go to the end (I hate wasting) and you may find that yours will last that long. As long as you don't shake it (roll it instead) and you don't drop it, it should last to the end. When I start a new bottles, I watch the numbers like a hawk and will typically may decrease the dose by 0.20 just in case it is more potent. Usually after a couple of cycles, I go right back to my current sliding scale and find that it is not that much potent than my old bottle. I always indicate on my spreadsheet when I purchase a bottle so I can keep track of it just in case.

57. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yep, Cindi's right! Some people get a new bottle of insulin after awhile when they they see the numbers suddenly go higher for no reason...you're not there from what I see. Just keep an eye on it and take care of it and it should last. I used mine all the way til the end!

58. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Thanks.. tabby was high at 6am +12 this morning tested at 457 seems to be high in the mornings past 3 I think.. drinking lots of water this morning too. Not sure what is causing the bounce or if she is just eatting herself high at night. I'm not liking this bounce thing if that's what is taking place... and I do roll my viva or tip side to side slowly and when transporting when we go out of town I keep it with a cooler pack so it won't get hot as well. I'm pretty anal about that stuff and don't wanna mess up.

59. Sue and Oliver (GA)

We have to figure out if that amps is a bounce, Matt. Please try to set the alarm and test in that 5-7 range tonight. If not a bounce, we need to raise the dose.

60. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I just feel the need to echo Sue here. Setting the alarm and getting a nadir tonight is super crucial. That's the only way we can know what's going on and figure out what a good next step would be. Please please get a nadir tonight!

61. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

I will get one at +7 which I believe is 1am

62. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Tabby read at +7 which was at 1am she was at 184.... this morning at 6 am which is +12 she was at 112... I waited and tested again she is the same. I gave no shot this morning... I have no idea how she got that low this morning..

63. Bobbie And Bubba

That was a good call not to shoot that low of a number. Good job getting the +7 number. That will help Sue and Oliver to help guide you with your dosing. Your are doing a great job Matt!

64. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Thanks.. frustrating that's for sure

65. Bobbie And Bubba

Oh I know. Sometimes, Bubba looks like he's going into the green zone and I am prepared to be up a lot through the night to test him to make sure he is safe, and then bam, he bounces back up high......it's like Sue says, it's a dance, the cats are leading and they are the only ones that hear the music......

66. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Well that wasn't what I expected. What was her PMPS, Matt? Can you add to the spreadsheet (sorry...I'm having problems making sense of the numbers...it helps me to see it.)

Good job on the no shot thing! That was definitely the answer for this morning.

67. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

I can't yet been working on fixing spread sheet. Will have them up later I'm at work now. She was in the 300's I believe when we tested at 6 pm +12 she got 2 units last night.. I'll get it updated later. Or will check my notes at lunch time and post on here. Thanks u guys. Have a good morning

68. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Wow, Matt! It looks like she finally "broke through". My guess is that she has been getting too much insulin and bouncing and then today, just crashed. This is great news but I agree, looks confusing. You did the perfect thing by stalling and then skipping. An amps that low, insulin lasting longer than 12 hours means the dose is too high.

Tonight, she will most likely be high, because she is 24 hours since the last shot. BUT still lower the dose - maybe to 1.5. My thinking is that you don't want to give the same dose that gave you the 112. It may take her a few cycles to get back on track, but you want her in safe numbers as you can't monitor that often, and you want two shootable numbers every day.

Make sense?

Marje has an idea about the spreadsheet. I'll add the numbers today and then send you how to try on your laptop. Meanwhile, I'll add your new numbers. Let me know what last night was when you find it.

69. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

No still Japanese to me lol. What u mean by breaking through? So her 2 units is causing her to go low and bounce? I was figuring the vet wanted her numbers to be lower cause she never came into the 100's before that's why she said to do 2 units twice a day. I'm stilling figuring out how this is suppose to work. And what numbers she should be daily. Information overload I must say lol. Makes my brain hurt. I must say that she seems more active lately tho and more social tho

70. Sue and Oliver (GA)

It's that Every Cat is Different thing. Her body seemed to absorb the 2 units for a lot of cycles, probably going low at nadir some of the time and then bouncing up for amps. Then finally it said, Enough! And just stayed down there. I am guessing because you only have the pre shots. People who can test more often have a clearer picture - more numbers make things easier to figure out.

We consider a cat regulated (the first goal) if they are in the mid 200s at preshot and in double digits at nadir, but above 50 which is approaching hypo territory. Cats off insulin, in remission, range from 40-120.

I hope there will be a day (or night) - maybe this weekend- when you can get a curve. You test at +2/4/6/8/10 or some variation of that. It will give you a better idea of what is really happening with the insulin. And then you can adjust the dose better.

71. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Yea my work schedule and needs of sleep make it hard. I did get a +7 last night I can try maybe a + 8 or + 10 tonight? Should I stick with the 2 units then so numbers are consistent ? Or see where she is at tonight at +12 first then post on here and see what dose we should do...

72. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I'd reduce to 1.75 even though she is likely to be high. See my reasoning in the previous post. Yes, any number at night is good.

She may float along a little higher for awhile if you reduce. But the other possibility is that she will drop low when you aren't there or she will be too low to shoot. When you skip (which you needed to do this am) it's a set back for awhile. But if she drops too low and you are not around, it could be deadly. Better too high for a day than too low for a minute.....

Tucker&Me likes this.
  73. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Wow that +7 is interesting and actually some good news. Makes me wonder what she is doing around +5 or +6? Can't wait to see the curve as that should tell us more.

74. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Guess I'm confused of why low this morning is good with no shot because she will be high later. I understand shooting low is bad. But the low number this morning what is that telling us? Is her body producing some insulin naturally off and on maybe remission opertunity? That be a dream come true for her. Hope one day

75. Sue and Oliver (GA)

The low number this morning tells us the insulin lasted longer than 12 hours as she was still dropping at +12. That is usually an indicator of a dose that is too high. You want a dose that give you 2 pre shot numbers low enough to shoot. That keeps her on an even keel, getting enough insulin twice daily to keep her in good ranges. Having to skip means, yes, you are likely to have a high number tonight.

The other possible reason for the low number this morning is that her pancreas started working and kept the number lower longer. If so, this isn't a on/off thing. It sputters - working for a few hours and then not. But I am guessing this is not the case. We usually see a sputtering pancreas when they are in lower numbers overall. But not always. Every cat is different. :banghead:

Remission is a real possibility for every cat. Our ProZinc records are one week on insulin and two years on insulin. A cat's pancreas can heal, unlike humans. You just keep giving the insulin as they need it until the pancreas starts doing its job again. This is not a given for every cat. There are cats on the Lantus forum still posting who have been on insulin for 6+ years. But they are the exception, not the usual. The thing that is usually a constant is that it takes time for most cats - often 6 months to a year.

Tucker&Me likes this.
  76. Tucker&Me

Tucker&Me Member

Hi Matt and Tabby!!
    Matt, don't get down about what Sue just told you. Remission is always going to be on our hopeful minds!! I figured Tucker was going to be the first miracle cat on here!! And we would be in remission pronto.
    Build your stamina with this hope, you & Tabby are going in the right direction.
    And as all have said already..you're doing an excellent job ok

77. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

I have to go to a meeting so I can't get on computer tonight.. tabby was at 317 last night at 6pm +12 gave 2 units... at 1 am +7 she read 184... at 6 am s+12 he read 112 no shot... at 1pm +7 she read 332... at 6:30pm +12 this evening she read 339.. gave her 1.5 units..

78. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I see this as encouraging, Matt. With 24 hours since her last shot, she is not terribly high. And she surfed along for 5 hours at the end of the cycle with no big jump.

Robin&BB and Matt & Tabby like this.
  79. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Yes makes no sense to me but I'll take it. She didn't eat much looks like tho.

80. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Hoping 1.5 this evening will be good

81. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I'm with Sue. Her numbers are very encouraging right now. The low AMPS you had today meant the insulin lasted too long...which is why you want to lower the dose. Hopefully with less insulin, you'll get it to not last too long and can shoot 2 x a day. :)

You're doing great!

Matt & Tabby and Robin&BB like this.
  82. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

+4 and we are at 170 right now it's 10:30pm here. 1.5 unit shot was at 6:30 pm. Tring to get in night numbers here

83. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, tomorrow is your long day between your AM & PM preshots. So hopefully, you will have a shootable number tomorrow morning. Tabby is looking good tonight. Way to go on your testing!

84. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Not bad. 50% 4 hours in. Hope you can get a 6/7 or 8. Whenever. It would be great to see if she drops low at nadir. That would explain the higher amps number.

85. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Should I get another test in two hours?

86. Sue and Oliver (GA)

If you can, that'd be great.

87. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Ok last night numbers fold and this morning.. at 10:30 pm which is +4 she was at 170 and at 12:30pm which was +6 read at 139... this morning at 6am +12 read at 313 gave 1.5 units

88. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Great! Your sleepless night helps us. So she has a nice, slow drop into good numbers and then bounces a little for the amps. Not a super low nadir and not a dangerous one, but a nice drop.

So, if you were a bean who could monitor carefully we might suggest upping the dose a smidge at this point - not back up to 2 units but eyeballing 1.75. That would be the more aggressive approach. Trying to see if a little more would drive her numbers down some but not too much, still giving you two shootable numbers a day. - which 2 units didn't do.

But you aren't. You have a demanding job and you are doing a great job, losing sleep to get the numbers you can. So my advice is to keep with the 1.5. She may slowly start giving you lower numbers with some higher ones thrown in. It isn't as fast as the more aggressive approach and you may have to up the dose at some point anyway, but it is the safest route. She is good ranges most of her cycle, day and night. She is below the renal threshold most of the time, the range at which her pancreas should be able to heal. You are doing a great job keeping her safe - the number one thing!

Is she feeling okay? Good energy, eating well, litter box okay?

I hope this makes sense. Today is the weird cycle when you dose late so we won't worry about it. Just keep on doing what you are doing.

89. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Kinda makes sense what is the renal threshold hold? What should though numbers be guess I'm asking. Her eatting comes and goes. She doesn't eat as much as she us to because she was on dry and now on wet friskys pate and fancy feast classic. I did order in young again zero carb dry food and treats and a supplement powder for the food which should be arriving today. Far as bathroom behavior she still pees more then usual and doesn't seem to go number 2 as often as she use to but again could be from food. Sometimes I have to put the food bowl in from of her and she will eat for a few min then pretty much grazes rest of the day. Her mood seems to be more social and playing like. Sometimes she does hid it seems like when she is high or when her numbers are falling she sometimes wants to nit be sceen. Weekends she comes up to cleveland with me to stay at my girlfriends place the car rides she is getting use two and seems to enjoy being in a different environment over the weekends. . At this point anything to make her healthy and to heal I'm all ears or any supplements and or tricks for better health

90. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Watch to see if the zero carb dry brings up her numbers. It does with some cats. It's okay for her to graze on the wet for 8 hours or so.

There is a renal threhold, under we think the pancreas can be healing. Because it's a cat and there is little research, we guess it's around 250-280 and below. Just a good reference to shoot for. Sounds like she is enjoying life otherwise.

Matt & Tabby likes this.
  91. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Thanks. I will try to get spread sheet problem checked out here this weekend when I have Internet connection

92. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

+14 tabby is at 209... today is her long day at I don't get off work till 8 pm... what do I shoot?

93. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I'd be cautious. Maybe .5. My thinking is she is just barely over our cut off pre shot number of 200 and she is getting the dose 2 hours late. Most likely if she was at +12, she would be too low to shoot.

So I'd dose less. It is overnight and you want her to be safe and you don't want to monitor. Could you get a before bed test?

PS. This is good news. Any lowering of the numbers is good news!

Matt & Tabby likes this.
  94. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Yea I can dose .5 and test before bed time which would be around midnight here which would be +3 after her shot then. Curious why she stayed low today never seen that before except that one day where I didn't dose in the morning

95. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Ok just got another reading 280... she ate a little wet food... is 1.5 good or go 1 unit

96. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I'd do one unit. Remember, it's 2 hours past her normal time.

97. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Ok gave 1 unit at +15 with a third reading this time at 280.. strange

98. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Not strange. The insulin kept her under 200 for 14 hours - longer than a normal cycle. Then the insulin was gone and she started to go up.

99. Merlin

Merlin Well-Known Member

Plus she ate so that would rise her too. Nice to see another 200+ number at pre-shot time.

Matt & Tabby likes this.
  100. Matt & Tabby

Matt & Tabby Member

Thanks. Asking as many questions as I can so I can learn. If the insulin is lasting longer then 12 hours does that mean the dose needs to come down or is this something that happens with prozinc where it can go longer then 12 hours

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.