? Tinker OTJ didn't take, next steps?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tinker's Mom, Feb 6, 2023.

1. Tinker's Mom

Tinker's Mom Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...am-67-5-100-9-126-pm-105.273275/#post-3037678

I thought his OTJ trial was going OK but I was not able to test every day (I haven't been feeling well). Over the past couple of days he got back into the 140s. Yesterday he was at 153 so I gave him a tiny dose, maybe 0.1.

The tricky thing is that we are scheduled to go on an 11-day vacation in 6 days. Our cat sitter can give insulin but doesn't test him. I was thinking of having her give a small insulin dose every other day? I will monitor him between now and then but just trying to figure out what to do while we're gone. Maybe I will give 0.1 units every other day until we leave and see how he does?

2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hope you are feeling better!

It's good you started him on insulin. Because of their faster metabolism, insulin does not last as long in cats as it does in humans. Lantus works best when dosed consistently twice a day. You want to stay at 0.10U twice a day and get enough tests to see how he is doing on the dose. We can decide about his vacation dose 2-3 days before you have to leave.

@Wendy&Neko

tiffmaxee and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I like Bhooma's strategy. It'll take a few days to get the depot going again, and then we'll be able to see if this will work as a dose while you are gone. If it's too much, there is always the drop dose.

Do you think Tinker will eat as well when you are gone?

4. Tinker's Mom

Tinker's Mom Member

He doesn't eat as well... he forgets to eat. I am worried about giving him insulin 2x per day, wouldn't that be too much?

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You don't have enough data to say that 0.1 will be too much. You can get three days of data before you go. Based on that data, we can decide if a drop dose is a better one while you are gone. Two doses a day would be better.