Tonight is my first time shooting in the 100's

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Carrie Arrowsmith, May 24, 2024.

1. Carrie Arrowsmith

Carrie Arrowsmith Member

She is always testing high for her AMPS and PMPS - yes we need a curve and way more testing throughout.
    I am doing the best I can right now and have a plan in place to get to more testing. Tonight she was 135 for her PMPS - I decided to brave it because I am able to watch her all night tonight. Right now my plan is to test every 2hrs. At +2hrs she is 107- I gave her a few high carb treats. she is sleeping right now. I don't have questions just posting because I am nervous!! Thanks for reading and letting me talk it out(type) here.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I would get a +3 as a drop at +2 indicates an active cycle.
    Remember that high carb food only lasts a couple of hours at most, so don’t stop testing if the BG has risen after the higher carb food you have fed. It could drop again once it wears off.

3. Carrie Arrowsmith

Carrie Arrowsmith Member

she is down to 61 now - I will start testing every 15 minutes.

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Have you fed some high carb food and or honey/karo?
    She has earned a reduction down to 0.75 unit at the next dose.
    Please try and get some mid cycle tests in if you can. She has probably been dropping low and you were unaware.

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  5. Carrie Arrowsmith

Carrie Arrowsmith Member

I did feed her some high carb but she doesn't like it really so I will have to do the syrup.

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Please let me know what the next test is

7. Carrie Arrowsmith

Carrie Arrowsmith Member

79 just now - I rubbed some karo on her gums - she is not happy :)

8. Carrie Arrowsmith

Carrie Arrowsmith Member

After I get her back up to a safe zone should I still keep testing every few hours? I'm prepared to be up all night - I just want to be sure I do the right thing

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

You will need to keep testing for 2 hours after you have given high carb food/karo. Let’s see how she goes. You can feed her some normal low carb food now

Carrie Arrowsmith likes this.
  10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Since you are using a human meter, above 50 is a safe zone. This Sticky Note tells you when to give carbs and how long to wait between tests. Don't Panic! or How to Handle Low Numbers It's a good one to print off - should the power ever go off!

You didn't need to give her karo at 79. You can stick with low carb food now.

11. Carrie Arrowsmith

Carrie Arrowsmith Member

I do have it printed - I gave karo when she was at 61. We have a hard time with high carb foods, we have them but she doesn't care for them and she is an allergy cat so my options are limited on what I can give her. I appreciate the response and help.

12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

61 is still safe. But almost all of us have over carbed at our first lower numbers. :) Take good notes. On the Remarks column put how much of what and what time you gave extra carbs. That information will be handy next time she sees lower numbers.

Carrie Arrowsmith likes this.
  13. Carrie Arrowsmith

Carrie Arrowsmith Member

Thank you - I wrote it all down in my medical journal for her too. I started making notes on the spreadsheet and stopped when I went to bed. I appreciate the support!!