TRIBUTE TO FDMB - from Genghis - OTJ 11/25

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Brashworks, Nov 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

I have been working on this off and on for several weeks - my thank you to the wonderful people here.

I hope you enjoy it (and I hope it plays okay!)

As with any "thank you" - I really hope I haven't forgotten anyone!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    Reason for edit: Update
  2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Melanie --

Your video is WONDERFUL! I hope you won't mind if I direct new members to it because the message is inspirational. This board is a community and everyone contributes or pays it forward in his or her own way. Many of us stick around because we believe in the community spirit and, most importantly, we do it for the kitties.

I know the next time someone is overwhelmed, frustrated, disappointed, and/or disheartened, I'm giving them this link.

And thank you for the shout out.

3. Tina & Sammy

Tina & Sammy Well-Known Member

What a great video.

Brashworks likes this.
  4. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

@Sienne and Gabby, I'd love that! I know Genghis was not particularly hard to regulate and I am lucky for that - but people need to know what an amazing community this is. I'm quite sure I never would have been able to get her OTJ without the help I got here.

I've never made a video before and this was a labour of love - least I could do. I'm hoping lots of people see it, and see the possibilities.

5. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Melanie, I absolutely LOVED this! What a wonderful message. I so agree with Sienne. We are such a community, all supportive of one another. I think this video will be a great help to anyone. WELL DONE! What a great thing to see first off today. KUDOS!

Brashworks likes this.
  6. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

Great video Melanie! It brought tears to my eyes!

Brashworks likes this.
  7. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

I'm tearing up too...it's a great video and so happy for you and Genghis! Gives us hope and we're very thankful for this group. :D:D:bighug:

Brashworks likes this.
  8. Amazing!
    "Formally Fat Cat Productions"
    Perfect ending credit!!!

9. Anne & Hyde (GA)

Anne & Hyde (GA) Well-Known Member

That video is GREAT!!! FDMB is definitely something to be thankful for today and every day:cat::cat::cat:

Brashworks likes this.
  10. Darcy and Jonesy

Darcy and Jonesy Well-Known Member

OMG Melanie!!!
    This is amAAAAAZing!!! I couldn't stop smiling, and the growing syringe pile??!! The meter shuffling towards the box of test strips??! LOL Yup, yup, yup! Nailed it.

Would we be allowed to share this to our personal Facebook pages? I ask as I know there are people out there that may not understand A - the importance of the "community" of a feline disease, and B - well . . . 'cause it is FANTASTIC!

Thank you so much for adding myself and Lebowski into the "beans". I'm honoured. As I've said more than a few times, I consider myself a cheerleader. Not nearly the knowledge as SO many on here, but definitely the "rah rah, you can do it" to share! heehee

Congrats on doing a beautiful job on this video. The very fact you took the time to put it together is amazing! :)
    Darcy

Brashworks likes this.
  11. Josie & Ripley (GA)

Josie & Ripley (GA) Well-Known Member

From beginning to end, this video is amazing. Brought happy tears to my eyes!
    :cat::D:cat::D:cat:

Brashworks likes this.
  12. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Awesome Video!!! I have tears too. Michael and & are so happy for you and Genghis and hope you are at The Falls for a very long time. FDMB is wonderful community and without the guidance of these compassionate and caring people, Michael would not be at the Falls today. Like you, I am so very grateful.
    Don't be a stranger, stop by to visit. That's what Michael and I do, trying to help and to
    encourage!:)

Brashworks likes this.
  13. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

What a wonderful video. That is a great message. Thank you for taking the time to put it together and share it with us.

Brashworks likes this.
  14. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Fantastic video Melanie!!!

I loved the shuffling meter and the growing stacks of syringes too!!

So very creative and fun!!!

Brashworks likes this.
  15. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

What a rocking hot video your so gifted and than you for sharing that with us!

Brashworks likes this.
  16. Suzi_S

Suzi_S Well-Known Member

Love the video!!!! And again, WOOOHOOO!!!!!

Brashworks likes this.
  17. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Tears falling here, too. Your video is touching and captures the essence and spirit of our board. Congratulations on Genghis being OTJ!!!

I'm literally walking out the door, but had to stop to thank you, Melanie. Your kind and thoughtful remarks not only helped me, but helped all the moderators during a very difficult time. On behalf of them as well as myself, THANK YOU!!!

18. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

@Darcy and Lebowski - if it's okay with Robert, it's more than fine with me. I'd like to make sure he's okay with it as his site's name is all over it. I did not make the video public - it's unlisted for the moment. I will email and ask!

Thank for your kind words. This actually started as just a tribute, before the trial even, but wanted to add that bit and it just grew and grew! Two months to make a 4 minute video -- look out Spielberg!!! LOL.

Glad you enjoyed it and of course I had to thank you - the cheerleading is what gets us through the dark days.

Anne & Zener GA likes this.
  19. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Melanie, I cannot believe that was your first video! You totally nailed it! I, too, teared up. We are all so happy for you and Genghis, and you were one of the easiest to help - you kept yourself informed and listened to advice and followed it when appropriate. I know, if Genghis could make a video, she would do one thanking you for loving her and taking such awesome care of her!

As Paula said, don't be a stranger!! We love to have updates on our OTJers!

Brashworks likes this.
  20. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Thanks @Tricia & Cinco - Tricia, you are actually a huge role model for me. Your devotion to your cats is unsurpassed - Cinco's profile is one of the first I ever read when I came here. Reading his story really inspired me.

21. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

That is just wonderful Melanie. You put into works how a lot of us feel about FDMB. Thank you.

Brashworks likes this.
  22. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

((((Melanie))))

Absolute BEST Thanksgiving “gift”. I also had tears of joy and laughter, gratitude, and so many other emotions. Thank you for doing this....simply spectacular and what a professional “job” you did. Wow!!!

Thank you...thank you. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Brashworks likes this.
  23. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

*sniff* I'm so touched by your loving video tribute to FDMB. As Jill said, you've cat-ptured the essence of FDMB - people learn the ropes, then they teach others. All for the sake of the cats. The drama here comes and goes, as with any place where people gather and form relationships, but in front of us all is that this is for these beautiful felines that we share our lives with. They make it all worthwhile. It's the reason so many spend hours each day here, looking for people who want to learn how to help their beloved cats live as long as possible.

And Melanie, it wouldn't matter how many people tried to teach you if you hadn't been ready to learn. You showed up for school, learned the lessons, and did the hard work with Genghis to help him heal. Kudos to you for saving your sweet kitter!

Feline diabetes is not a death sentence. That message needs to go far and wide!

Thank you so much for this wonderful Thanksgiving gift. I made my family watch it too. ;) [​IMG] :bighug:

24. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Even though it's not our Thanksgiving, this was the perfect day for the perfect video. Thank you Melanie!! :bighug::bighug: I can't believe you've never made a video before. What a fantastic job you've done with the video, but not surprising given the fantastic job you've done with Genghis. I too felt tears showing up while I watched the video, but partly also tears of pride in a job well done. Our "family" here is what makes this journey possible.

25. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

@julie & punkin (ga) - I'm so glad this touched you. You gave me my very own balls of steel - never forget it! It's one of many great traditions here and you are very welcome for this gift - it is the very least I could do. Happy Thanksgiving!

@Wendy&Neko as well you should feel proud. So many cats to take care of and you always made us feel like we were special to you. While I would not wish this condition on any cat, my life is richer for this experience here. Thank you.

julie & punkin (ga) likes this.
  26. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

@Marje and Gracie have a Happy Thanksgiving. I know you say I would have got her OTJ on my own (thank you!) - I'm not so sure of that. It's the finer points, I think, that "got us to the finish line." As you have said to me in the past, some folks have an incredible knack for reading spreadsheets and knowing what to do. There are a fine few who take management of feline diabetes and elevate it to art. All the best to you and your family. :bighug:

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  27. Peg and Toby

Peg and Toby Well-Known Member

Such a great tribute to FDMB. You really rocked it. I am so happy for you and Genghis

Brashworks likes this.
  28. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

Yup! *sniff*

Marilyn

Brashworks likes this.
  29. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

Melanie, that was just beautiful... it should be required viewing for all newbies to give them hope and inspiration. This board is a lifeline for so many of us cast adrift when first diagnosed and not knowing where to go for help. I count my blessings every day that I ended up here by chance. Truly an amazing support group willing to share experiences, offer advice, listen to the rants, share tears and rejoice in good news. I am honoured to be part of it. My heartfelt good wishes to you and Genghis for many happy years together at the falls. Come and visit us often.

30. Mandarin'sMom

Mandarin'sMom Well-Known Member

What an awesome video! I just couldn't agree more that this board has been my lifeline. When Mandarin was first diagnosed last November, I thought I could NEVER handle a diabetic cat. My schedule is different every day, Mandarin is semi-social/borderline feral, I felt like there was very little support (or even information) from our vet. If I hadn't come across the board by chance, I think I might have given up. I for sure would have never agreed to take on a second diabetic foster cat. While many of my close friends still don't get what it takes to take care of a sugar cat - this is the place where I can not only get support but where I don't even need to explain why I can only make a brief visit at Thanksgiving because my cat's Glucose is running really low. Or why I can't do dinner and a movie without running home in between to test, feed and give Insulin. This is an awesome community to be a part of and your video truly captures that. All the best to you and Genghis!

31. Asrael

Asrael Well-Known Member

WOW! So beautiful- brought tears to my eyes!! I echo every sentiment that you shared to all of the members here- such a warm, caring, and supportive group and I couldn't have even imagined I could be so at peace with Trouble's diabetes when this all started in July...

I am so glad to know you (and all the members) and just thrilled to see Genghis's journey and transformation!!

And Thanking you as well- for not only your kindness and support- but for your awesome Canadian Food List- Trouble is enjoying his PC Turkey and Giblets dinner right now :)

Amazing job on the video too- just so, so, so good- would never have thought it was your first time!

Brashworks likes this.
  32. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Melanie, that is an awesome video. You would never know it was your first. I wouldn't even know how to go about doing one. Heck I can't even figure out the linking in here.

This board has helped me and so many others. I'm new here. I joined and with in 2 hours my baby was in a hypoglycemic episode and another within a month and a few more since. They stayed up and talked me through it. My baby hasn't read the rules and won't follow protocols but we've made progress. I agree this video should be allowed to become part of the welcome messages here. Great job.

Brashworks likes this.
  33. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Teeheehee I'm laughing about the skunk all over again! :oops::p:)

Brashworks likes this.
  34. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Vyktors Mum likes this.
  35. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

@suki & crystal - Suki, you are another bean who is pure inspiration to me and so many others. When I first looked at Crystal's SS I thought it was a run of typos or some strange French measuring system. The way you care for your girl is nothing short of astonishing.

suki & crystal (GA) likes this.
  36. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

@Mandarin'sMom - isn't that the truth how some folks just don't "get it"? Here, all is understood.

You are amazing for taking in a diabetic foster. I haven't been around long - I didn't realize Mandarin was such a handful. The stresses of managing diabetes are enough on their own - kudos to you!

Mandarin'sMom likes this.
  37. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

@Asrael - you are one of the people I know came every day - big thank you for that. I know folks get busy and can't possibly look at every condo (or even any condos - colour me guilty) but I have always appreciated your gentle way and your dedication to Trouble (and His Fluffiness Chela). I have a real soft spot for Mr Trouble and everything he's been through, as well as admiration for how you have fearlessly shot green and got his numbers so beautiful!

38. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

@woodsywife - it is truly amazing how many people here give their time so freely and genuinely to help cats and their beans, especially clear in hypo situations. I have read Smokey's profile and he has had a tough run with life - I guess we shall forgive his not reading the rule book, lol -- you are a wonderful person for taking him in and taking such good care of him.

39. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

Bump until it gets added to the Welcome page!

Lynn & Rupert and Brashworks like this.
  40. granadilla

granadilla Well-Known Member

OMG, what a great video! I'm so happy for you and Genghis. She looks great! I can't believe she lost 5 pounds! A former fat cat indeed. I hope you two have a long and happy, healthy life at the Falls. :bighug::bighug:

Thanks for thanking me but I didn't do much. Genghis has a strong personality and I always enjoyed reading about her. And you always gave me support and were there for me when Marshmallow was sick and then crossed the bridge, which I very much appreciated. This place is a wonderful community.

Brashworks likes this.
  41. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

What a beautiful, beautiful video!! Please don't be a stranger here in L&LL - we love to hear updates (lots of 'em)!!

Brashworks likes this.
  42. Tara & Ivana (GA)

Tara & Ivana (GA) Well-Known Member

Love love love! I told Ivana that her photo made it into the video, and she did her happy face :cat:

Brashworks and granadilla like this.
  43. Vegetable (GA)

Vegetable (GA) Member

Melanie what an awesome video! It brought tears to my eyes just like the others. I'm sooo happy Genghis is otj, it gives hope that one day Vegetable can also get otj.

Brashworks likes this.
  44. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

I'll add it to the "Where Can I Find?" thread so people can always find it later if they want to.

by the way, if you haven't read "A Break-up with D'Artagnan's Diabetes" - it's a must read as well. It's on the same thread above.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    Anne & Zener GA and Brashworks like this.
  45. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

@julie & punkin (ga) that was fantastic. Wow, how well said of Morgan - couldn't be better said.

Would that I had had as supportive a bf (he couldn't understand why I would put so much into a 15 year old cat - might explain why I haven't seen him in 2 months o_O!!!) but it is amazing of her to have pointed out the silver lining. It's so very true that cats, independent as many are, so often have a passing relationship with people, even great pet owners. I share that I am more in tune with my girl than I have ever been. Thank you for that wonderful suggested read.

julie & punkin (ga) likes this.
  46. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

I watched this terrific video 3 times! It is WONDERFUL! I know it will be an inspiration to new members and old hands alike. Thank you, Melanie, and thank you, Genghis.

:):):)

Ella & Rusty

Anne & Zener GA and Brashworks like this.
  47. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Thanks, @Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) . You know, Rusty was one of the first cats I "met" when I came here. I always loved your posts, his story and his gorgeous lion scowl. He's a lucky cat to have you, and his menus are to die for - he throws the most amazing parties!

I'm really glad you liked the video!

48. bettyandhank

bettyandhank Well-Known Member

LOVE IT!!! So awesome!!!

Brashworks likes this.
  49. Camille and Cyclone

Camille and Cyclone Well-Known Member

That's an absolutely wonderful video! I can see a lot of work and a lot of love went into it!

Brashworks likes this.
  50. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Ok as usual I am soooooo darn late to this party it's ridiculous. That has got to be the best tribute and fantastic promotion of FDMB anyone could have hoped for. I really want to know how you did all that animation!!! It's absolutely BRILLIANT! I am gobsmacked. And I am so very happy for you and Genghis! Genghis ,live long in OTJ land.....Melanie...prosper!

Brashworks likes this.
  51. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Great video!

Brashworks likes this.
  52. Julia Rae

Julia Rae Well-Known Member

Loved the video it rocks and so do the two of you!

Brashworks likes this.
  53. MaineLove

MaineLove Member

AWESOME! JUST AWESOME! Says everything anybody would like to know about the folks who support and encourage those that are overwhelmed about the diabetes diagnosis. Thank you so much for sharing your thankfulness that the rest of us feel about the help and comfort we get from the board. YOU FOLKS ARE AWESOME! Kathe and Coral Sea

Brashworks and Lynn & Rupert like this.
  54. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

That is absolutely wonderful!! Well done. :)

Brashworks likes this.
  55. Lynn & Rupert

Lynn & Rupert Well-Known Member

Applause, applause....that was such an inspiring, awesome video! Thank you for taking the time to make it and share it with us, it truly made my day! What a great tribute to FDMB and the great people here! It is such a terrifying experience for the newbie and without the caring, kind, smart, dedicated people on FDMB most of us would not be able to do this. Thank you for giving them a shout out and for the wonderful video, I cracked up laughing over the syringes piling up! :D

Brashworks likes this.
  56. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Wow! I knew Genghis was OTJ but somehow I missed seeing this. This is a fantastic video, Melanie! It should be required viewing for all newcomers to FDMB! I really loved the growing pile of syringes, it really struck a chord, lol!

Here's wishing Genghis a long and healthy life at the Falls!

Brashworks likes this.
  57. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

This is incredible !! Congratulations and thank you for such a beautiful tribute!!!
    enjoy the falls!!!

Brashworks likes this.
  58. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

What a great video!!! Happy Genghis is doing well OTJ!

Brashworks likes this.
  59. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Glad to see Gengis is doing well!! Thank you for the video and update :bighug::bighug:

Brashworks likes this.
  60. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

That is a wonderful video Melanie. Wishing Genghis many years at the falls!

Brashworks likes this.
  61. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Thanks everyone! I've been away for a bit - personal stuff - and have missed so much in the last few months. How lovely to come back to this! Just checked Genghis yesterday and her BG was 3.8 or 68 - still diet controlled and doing well. Best wishes to everyone, prayers for Paula - our thoughts are with you.

62. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Melanie,

Jayla just posted a link to your video over on Health so it's the first time I've seen it. It is ab-so-lutely fabberoony!!! :cool:

Hope that you and Genghis are doing OK.

:bighug:

Mogs

Brashworks likes this.
  63. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

((((((Mogs)))))) - Thanks for liking it and great to hear from you! I've been away for a bit but Genghis is still happily OTJ. Thanks to @jayla-n-Drevon for the shout-out.

How is the lovely Saoirse? I've been gone so long - I do love her new (ish?) picture. Oh those eyes!

Great to hear from you, scritches to kitteh and :bighug: to you!

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  64. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I personally think every new member should see this!!! I have watched it 100 times:cat:

Critter Mom and Brashworks like this.
  65. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

I loved seeing this again! Hi guys!!

Brashworks likes this.
  66. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Sadly she only has one now. We've had a bit of a nightmare time of things recently. :( On a more positive note, Saoirse celebrated her 16th birthday last Friday (thread on Health).

I'm really glad to hear that Genghis is doing so well. Sending :bighug:s and scritches to ye.

Mogs

67. Sue484

Sue484 Well-Known Member

Hi Melanie. I completely missed that Genghis is OTJ!! I thought I hadn't seen you around lately. Great that he is doing so well.

Brashworks likes this.
  68. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Hi Ella - great to see you! Aw, Rusty-Man, you handsome devil. I've missed your leonine good looks :bighug:

69. Brashworks

Brashworks Member

Hi @Sue484, no worries. You have your hands full, I know! Thanks for the good wishes and hope you and the boys are well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.