U40 1/2 mark syringes

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Sandjules & Mama Cat, May 27, 2019.

1. Sandjules & Mama Cat

Sandjules & Mama Cat Member

Apologies, I know the answer is here somewhere, but could someone please remind me the best syringes with 1/2 unit marks? Thanks.

2. Sandjules & Mama Cat

3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I've always used Monoject syringes for a bunch of reasons. One thing that made life easier was switching to a U100 syringe.

Sandjules & Mama Cat likes this.
  4. Sandjules & Mama Cat

Thanks ... I guess I need to educate myself. I don't know the difference between U40 and U100 ... I thought we had to use U40 with Vetsulin?

5. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

did some looking the other day, of course the leading U-40 syringe is branded VetOne -- there is at least one other mfg -- as far as I could tell, the only U-40s with half unit markings, are the .3 cc "small dose" ones .. the .5 and 1 cc syringes don't have the half unit markings .. there are several online sources which came up

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

You can use U100 syringes with U40 insulin along with a conversion chart to ensure correct dosing. Technically, you would use U40 syringes for Vetsulin but some folks choose to use U100 because they allow finer dosing and are more readily available in store. Your best bet for U40 syringes with half unit markings would be ADW diabetes.com. U100 are available there too. They have all sorts of different makes and different folks like different syringes so I can't tell you which brand to choose. I am also in a different country and we don't have the same selection available here.

7. Sandjules & Mama Cat

Thanks! Mama Cat's numbers have been all over the place so trying to do a curve of sorts this weekend.

8. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

best of luck. let us know what you decide -- will just mention that the Walmart syringes labeled .3cc, 31 gauge, do NOT have half unit markings, not good for the doses you are giving, especially if you choose a decrease

Edited -- I was wrong -- they DO have half unit markings -- took a closer look, doggone it, false info again -- yes they do have 1/2 unit markings !

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Reason for edit: corrected inaccurate info
  9. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

They make a pen which is by in .5 dosing & is supposed to be more accurate even for 1u dosing (that was interesting to see...curious how or why & will need to look for the study they did to prove that). They also claim its a less painful injection. I'm still finishing my first vial so I haven't asked for the pen yet. I know it will be more expensive, but not sure by how much.

10. Sandjules & Mama Cat

Hi, MrWorfMen's Mom ... thanks for the referral to ADWdiabetes.com. The service was great. I like the 1/2 mark syringes ... seems like the needle is just a little bit shorter (probably just my imagination), but easier to handle.

The reason I want to increase her insulin is she's peeing randomly in the house, at least once each day and/or night. She's also hanging out by her water bowl like she used to before she was diagnosed. She hasn't done that in a while. I don't think she's ever been completely regulated. She's always pacing, always hungry and seems to be still losing weight if not gaining at all. We've ruled out all physical reasons that blood tests can point to. I haven't taken her back in to have her liver enzymes checked again. Figure we'd try going up by 1/4 (yeah, I know LOL), mostly because she's not too far off a fairly good number at peak with 1 1/2.

Honestly I've run out of ideas. Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  11. MrWorfMen's Mom

Glad you found ADW satisfactory. I've never used them but a lot of members here do.

I just peaked at Mama Cat's SS and notice there are a lot of pre-shot tests missing. I also notice that she went down to 92 a couple of times and to 94 on the 1.5u dose. You really don't want her going any lower than that on Vetsulin using your AT2 meter. It's really important to get that before shot test to know it's safe to give insulin. The pre-shot tests along with mid cycle tests give you an idea of how much Mama Cat's BG is dropping on any given dose and that can help you determine if it's safe to give insulin when her pre-shot test is lower than usual.

I'd be very careful and get some mid-cycle tests tonight. That is the lowest pre-shot (based on what's on SS) that you've shot with any dose much less the increase to 1.75u and many cats go lower at night than they do during the day. It's extremely hard if not impossible to know if that dose increase is safe without testing. I suggest getting at least a +3 before bed tonight to ensure Mama Cat is not dropping too low.

Tomlin likes this.
  12. Sandjules & Mama Cat

She did go down to 88 at +3. Would you consider that too low? Glad I didn't go with 2u instead. If we think the 1.75u is too much, I'm not sure what to try next for her. I suppose I can take her back to the vet, but I am sure all they will want to do is run their own curve under high stress circumstances. Maybe she has a UTI? Other than going outside of her box she doesn't seem to have other symptoms.

13. MrWorfMen's Mom

88 is pretty much the same as 92/94 so it's ok but it's right on the edge of the goal nadir of about 90. The question is did Mama Cat go any lower after that? When you get a lower reading like that, it's important to make sure kitty is not still dropping so they don't go down to dangerous levels. It may be that Mama Cat then levelled off or she could have dropped to even lower BG. You can give Mama Cat a snack when you get a lowish number to slow her down but it is also vital to retest to make sure she stays safe. It will be interesting to see what her AMPS is today.

Tomlin likes this.
  14. Sandjules & Mama Cat

I did give her a snack last night after the 88 reading.

Unfortunately I didn't move fast enough this morning to test her before she ate, but just before her shot she was at 326. That makes no sense. I need to see if any of our friskies pates are high in carbs, some have more gravy than others. Her PM before food and before shot was 199. That's similar to where she was last night, so we went ahead with the 1.75 dose. I'll test her again before bed.

Thanks as always for being so helpful and committed to the wellbeing of our community of feline babies.❤️

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  15. MrWorfMen's Mom

Looks like that 326 this AM was a bounce, likely from that lower BG the night before that Mama Cat is just not used to yet. She's obviously come down this PM but please get a test before you go to bed or around +3 tonight to see where she's headed.

16. Sandjules & Mama Cat

Definitely will, thanks. She hasn't gone outside of her box in a couple of days, so that's good. I just want her to gain weight. She looks so pathetic.

17. MrWorfMen's Mom

How is her appetite? How often do you feed her? You can feed her more to get more calories into her. As she gets regulated she should start to regain some of the lost weight but it might mean feeding her a bit more for a while.

18. Sandjules & Mama Cat

She is always hungry. If we are in the kitchen she is right there with us. Between mealtime and snacks in the morning and at night she probably gets close to 2 cans a day. Her baby cat, just a year younger than she is, will eat anything she doesn't so we can't leave any out during the day. She gets a little more if we are home, especially if I am doing a curve and want to give her a spoonful after each test. I guess I could give her a can each feeding. She eats so quickly she will sometimes gag a little, but she doesn't get sick. Websites say she should get at least 2 cans.

19. MrWorfMen's Mom

Ok. If she is still showing constant hunger don't be afraid to give her a little bigger portions at each meal/snack. If you are concerned more food might result in "snarf and barf", then smash it down in the plate/bowl to slow her down at bit. She's still not processing the food she eats efficiently so she needs more calories to keep her satisfied and to gain weight. Once she gets better regulated, the appetite will go back to normal and then you can monitor her weight and back off the extra food to ensure she doesn't go beyond her previous svelte figure. :)

20. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member