Update 11/1 4:00 PM ET: Luna bouncing back from DKA

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by For_Luna, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You have the hopes and well wishes from many countries around the world coming your and Luna's way. Get better pretty girl.:bighug::bighug:

2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Sending a ton of healing vines and white light to help Luna recover from this latest occurrence. She’s a fighter and she knows how much you love her.

Just a quick note although you have your hands full. Since you’ve had the ultrasound done, there is no need to do a specfPL at this time. With concurrent liver inflammation, the specfPL is likely to be elevated due to that. Those organs are all so closely located and aligned in function that inflammation in one can cause the specfPL to increase above normal. The ultrasound has already indicated what you need to know for now.

Personally, I would not recommend a GI Panel unless she has symptoms of IBD when she gets through all this. Save yourself some money unless the symptoms tell you that you need to know what her cobalamin, folate, TLI, and specfPL are. You can always give her vitamin B12 shots to just help her recover and feel a little better. Once things have settled down, if she has vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, etc, then it’s time to think about a GI Panel because some treatments for diarrhea won’t work if the B12 is low.

3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending more prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

Sending vines of healing and physical reinforcement Luna’s way.

Have they taken a good look at her teeth and gums?
    Gingivitis can be the source of infection that is easily overlooked.

I too recommend the Liver Shake mentioned by @Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Hang in there..

5. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

Luna's heart rate is holding steady so far. She has little bursts of energy and stands up and howls, but then stiffens up and falls over. Hopefully it's just from being weak still. They said the injections they gave to bring her back should be out of her system, so maybe that's a sign her numbers are improving. She hasn't made any noises since Thursday.

Next electrolytes test is in 15 minutes. Results in 30.

Marje and Gracie and AmandaE like this.
  6. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Sending vines, praying she gets better.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. sandscout

sandscout Member

I’m so sorry this is happening to Luna and to your family. I pray for her healing.

8. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

J.J. and Phoebe Squeak Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for the update. I think most of Team Luna has been checking frequently and praying for good news. Continued prayers -- even my husband is now caught up in Luna's situation. That's extra prayers.:bighug:

9. Stressedcatmom

Stressedcatmom Well-Known Member

So glad they did CPR and she was awake on the table for you! My eyes teared up on the train! #teamluna :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. Sanda Elena

Sanda Elena Member

Good news! Thank you God! Lots of prayers and healing vines from me and my husband for sweet Luna. If she has more energy the potassium level is increasing. We are there with you Luna! You must feel that sweetie. Come on little girl you can do it!

11. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

That sounds good Dan!!! She is a fighter for sure. More prayers & healing vines your way :bighug:

12. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

Some good news after a terrible morning. Potassium is up to 2.9, Chloride is up a little too (don't have the paper in front of me) and Phosphorus is .1 away from normal.

They're not feeding through the feeding tube until tomorrow. Apparently her heart rate can drop when the feed through the tube. It's some condition I can't remember the name.

We're not out of the woods yet, but we were driving to the vet this morning thinking she was gone.

13. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Tina Marie (GA) and Jan Well-Known Member

LUNA, we are holding you and your family up in prayer and thought, and won't stop. Thank you for the updates Dan :bighug::):):cat::bighug:

Beth 73 and Idjit's mom like this.
  14. Sanda Elena

Sanda Elena Member

Good news ! :bighug:

15. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Big hug Dan! That all sounds SO good!! You may not be out of the woods but if there is one cat & owners that are going to fight to find their way out, its Luna, you & your wife:bighug:. More prayers, more love & healing vibes from me, my husband, friends & family all rooting for Luna!

16. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

That is very good news!!
    What a roller coaster you have been on. You must be exhausted.
    There are people all over the world praying for Luna’s recovery.
    :bighug:

Beth 73, Idjit's mom, AmandaE and 2 others like this.
  17. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm keeping the positive vines coming!

AmandaE likes this.
  18. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

Thinking of you and Luna with love :):bighug::bighug::bighug:

19. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

More positive vines for Luna and you and your wife, Dan :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

AmandaE likes this.
  20. Stressedcatmom

Stressedcatmom Well-Known Member

I know this is probably in vein, but I have a feeling...could you try bringing some Ff gravy lovers or tuna before they do the tube? I know you tried before, but maybe if she’s feeling better she will eat a bit for you

21. Jerry dutchboy

Jerry dutchboy Well-Known Member

I'm with everyone else here. Keep fighting Luna...feel the love and healing vines coming from us all.
    Feel better little one.
    Dan and wife (sorry don't know your name) we are all hugging you.:bighug::bighug:

22. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

We needed to come home to refuel and get a quick nap. Heading back in an hour or so. We'll try to get her to eat some of her food. Next electrolytes test is 10:30 PM ET.

Suzanne Burton likes this.
  23. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

Glad you have the chance to nap and refuel. We'll all be hoping and praying for good news from the next test. :bighug:

Suzanne Burton likes this.
  24. ShannonandBiscuit

ShannonandBiscuit Member

:bighug:Come on Luna. You can do it. Prayers and positive vines. :bighug:

25. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

It is good you were able to do that. You need to be rested & well to help Luna. So hard to do but SO important. Praying for more good news later :bighug:

26. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Prayers, vines and we'll wishes for Luna. It's good she was awake and sitting after the "crash" it proves she's a fighter. You and your wife need to keep breathing

27. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear you and your wife are going through this Dan. Luna is quite the fighter and wants to be home again soon. She will beat this.

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  28. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Little Luna, sending you all my positive energy and strength and love! You're fighting and we're behind you, helping you to win and get back home with Dan and mom!

29. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

More prayers up.

30. Penelope and Mačka

Penelope and Mačka Well-Known Member

OMG I'm just catching up. I'm so sorry. Been through the same nightmare before. I hope Luna gets out of the clinic very soon. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

31. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Reading every post, healing light and energies to Luna, and onward to Dan and wife because this is emotionally and physically exhausting. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

32. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Sending lots of positive thoughts for a good night for dear Luna. Healing energy and vines galore.

33. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

Just got home. She's really sleepy. She wants to get into all of her favorite sleep positions, but the tubes are getting in the way. She's just kind of squatting with her face pressed up against the ground. But it looks like a tired sleep and not a sick sleep...if that makes sense.

She sat up and peed while we were there too. Pawed at the tray and pads they had down. I think she used all of her energy because she was shaking a little bit afterwards. Didn't last too long and she settled back in to sleep. We made them check her out too.

They took the heart monitor off because she was stable all day. I'm amazed that happened after the morning she had. And they were probably tired of reconnecting it. Luna kept wiggling and pulling them off.

The next electrolytes test results should be back within the hour. I'll post once I get them.

Feeding tube starts tomorrow morning as long as she gets the greenlight from the vet.

34. Suzanne Burton

Suzanne Burton Well-Known Member

Luna is amazing! Of course you know that. Prayers will continue for your sweet girl.

35. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Have you ever tried to sleep while in a hospital? I don't know how they ever expect you to get better when they are poking and prodding and waking you what feels like every hour :p I feel ya, Luna!

The nutrition that she is going to be able to get through the tube should go very far in restoring her strength as well. Fingers crossed that she continues to improve. :bighug:

36. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

:bighug:❤️:bighug:❤️ Joining in the strong chorus of vines and prayers . From all I've read there is no doubt Luna is a fighter and will pull thru this. I know it's hard but please take care of yourselves ...praying that any sleep is multiplied and increased strength and peace to you both , Dan ❤️. Remember we are all there with you in spirit ❤️

37. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

Just got results. Not much movement on electrolytes since 4:00 except potassium is now 3.0. everything else is basically the same. BG was 227. Going to sleep finally. Hoping she has a good night and we can start the feeding tube tomorrow

38. Sonia & Leo

39. Marje and Gracie

Thank you for the update with all you have going on. Excellent news on her potassium and chloride.

It will certainly help her to get some sustenance through the tube as the dextrose drip can’t maintain them as food does. Calories will help immensely.

There’s a good chance they will send her home with the etube and you might want to have a kitty kollar on hand. It makes a world of difference.

Sending tons and tons of vines and white healing light.

40. Sanda Elena

Sanda Elena Member

Excellent news! You are in my prayers Luna !

Beth 73 likes this.
  41. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Luna is remarkable as are you & your wife! I hope you get some rest & today is the start of the feeding. There is nothing like some food to perk Luna up!

Prayers for another day of progress :bighug:!!

Beth 73 likes this.
  42. Sonia & Leo

Hoping today is a major turning point for Luna, we're all rooting for her and sending tons of love and healing vines. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

43. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Good morning, Luna ,Dan and Laura ❤️ I’m with Sonia, today is the day for the turnaround !!!! With food in her belly ,that sweet Luna will gain strength today that even amazes the vets !!! That’s my prayer ❤️

44. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

Just heard from the Vet. Since last night's test, most of Luna's electrolytes have moved into or close to the low end of normal. They're mixing up her food for the feeding tube now and should be administering soon. We're going to go visit her a little later

45. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

oh, Awesome!! what amazing news!! still cheering Luna on! tonnes of vet vines and well wishes!!!

Luna! you're doing great! keep it up girl!!

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  46. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

YES!!!!!! SO happy to hear this news! Team Luna is with you all in spirit, and prayers & vines continue!

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  47. Jerry dutchboy

Such good news. Keep up the good fight little Luna, we know you can do it. With some nutrition you will feel better. Healing vines heading you way. :bighug:

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  48. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

BRING ON THE FOOD :bighug:!! More prayers coming Luna’s & your way today.

Beth 73 and Sonia & Leo like this.
  49. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Today is your day, dear Luna. It's National Cat Day and you are going to feel better and better as the day goes on. You are a strong kitty and your beans are amazing. :cat:

50. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

So sorry your family is going through this, u are in my thoughts and prayers, Luna is a fighter!!

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  51. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

Latest update from the Vet. They said Luna handled the first feeding well and there weren't any issues. Next electrolyte test is in a few minutes and they'll call with results. They want us to be there for one of the feedings today to start teaching us how to do it on our own. She'll eat every 4 hours until they know she's ok, and then move it to every 3. I think it's way too soon to talk about coming home, but this is a complete turnaround from this time yesterday morning.

52. Jerry dutchboy

Good news. Hope she'll feel stronger as she gets food into her. Thank you so much for keeping us updated so well. I know this is not easy for you and your wife. Big hugs to you both.

53. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

Thrilled to hear the good news!! So glad you will be with her again soon & learn how to feed her. What a difference a day makes!

54. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

This is such AMAZING news :bighug:!! It will definitely help for you to be there for the feeding—Luna will like that ❤️. It sounds like they just want to start to get you comfortable with the feeding tube process vs that they are thinking of a discharge soon. However, always hold your ground with discharge. I tell caregivers & patients, & it applies equally to fur babies, that everyone must be on the same page & be comfortable with the plan when it comes to discharging a patient. This may be an opportune time to set expectations & tell them you will need a reasonable amount of notice & a meeting beforehand to discuss the care that will be necessary when that time comes.

More thoughts and prayers being sent your way!

55. Marje and Gracie

Excellent news!!! Keep fighting Luna!!!

AmandaE likes this.
  56. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

Latest news: electrolytes holding around where they were earlier this morning and they're adding b vitamins to her supplements. They took her out of her ICU cube and brought her to the visiting room. They said they won't release until her electrolytes stabilize without the supplementation and she could be using a feeding tube for 2 weeks. Depends on how she's progressing. Hoping we'll see improvement in electrolytes after a full day of food.

Waiting to hear back from nutritionist before they feed again, so we're a little behind the next feeding.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  57. Penelope and Mačka

SO glad things are improving. I'm sure electrolytes will be fine, the worst is over hopefully. Food will heal her. As long as she gets pain medication and anti-nausea, and then she'll start eating on her own again. Fingers crossed! Please take care of yourself and have some rest. In these situations, it's so hard not to go into complete madness and despair.

Bellasmom and Sonia & Leo like this.
  58. Jerry dutchboy

This does my heart good to hear.:bighug:

59. sandscout

sandscout Member

So thankful to hear good news!!! Luna is such a fighter. Thank you for these updates, you are in my thoughts and prayers :bighug:

60. Sonia & Leo

Such fantastic news!!! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

61. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

All really great news :bighug:!! Those adorable white cheeks need feeding :rolleyes:. Gotta love those cheeks!!!

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  62. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

More healing vines coming Luna's way! :bighug:

Bubba was only in the low 200's when he developed ketones. The advice to withhold insulin by the vet because she wasn't eating was bad advice. The perfect storm for a cat to develop DKA is :
    in appetence + a system stress or infection ( ie. pancreatitis) + not enough insulin

Keep on getting better! And kudos to your wife to stay home from the wedding to be with Luna. Moma radar was working overtime! :)

63. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Good news are starting to come in....:)
    Sending positive and healing vines for our sweet Luna! Keep on little girl! :bighug:
    Dan, you and your wife are wonderful!

64. Sanda Elena

Sanda Elena Member

Great news! :bighug:Healing vines for sweet Luna!

65. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

So pleased to read this great report. Moving in the right direction!!!

66. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Great news!! Keep fighting Luna!!

Krystina & Nelli and Beth 73 like this.
  67. ShannonandBiscuit

ShannonandBiscuit Member

Love the positive report. Keep Them Coming Luna!!!

68. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

I think you'll find the feeding tube a real blessing -- it will dramatically reduce the stress of trying to get enough food and meds in easily. Still keeping all fingers and paws crossed for you, but everything sounds great! (anti-jinx)

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  69. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

Update from vet before bed:
    Electrolytes basically the same as last test except potassium is down from 3.3 to 3.0. BG still in the low 200s.

Just got another tube feeding at 8:00 and handled it well. Next one is at midnight.

I'm going to visit tomorrow during lunch and my wife is going to go after work.

Is there any reason the potassium and other electrolytes are still low normal or anything that would cause the potassium to drop?

70. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Oh Dan I'm so happy to hear such encouraging news. Sweet little Luna is not about to give up. I will be praying for your sweet girl. Thanks for all the updates. Hoping you and your wife get some rest. Gentle hugs

71. Penelope and Mačka

Not sure but I remember it took time to go back to normal. After his DKA episode, Macka went home with a potassium supplement and took it for at least 15 days. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  72. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

Thank you for the great update. So glad you both will be able to be with her again tomorrow. Lots of vines, prayers and emotional support heading your way. Please try to get some rest tonight. Luna, you are a star!!! And you have quite the fan club -- Team Luna!

73. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Thank you for the update! So happy there continues to be progress :bighug:!! Definitely get some rest. You guys are doing such an amazing job. More love, prayers & healing energy being sent up to PA!

74. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

Adding to the vines for little Luna. We've been through DKA, too, and it's sad and exhausting. I'm so glad she's on the right track, and I look forward to hearing that she's home and healing.

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  75. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

Overnight update:
    She's still handling tube feeding well. Her calcium is low and potassium is dropping. Red blood cell count is their concern now. It's getting low and they talked about doing a transfusion if it gets worse. We're going to visit when we can throughout the day

76. Gill & George

Sending more vines and Prayers.

77. carfurby (GA)

Sending more prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

78. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Sending more prayers Dan :bighug:! The blood transfusions can make a huge difference if they need them. Will he thinking about you, your wife & Luna.

79. Sonia & Leo

Sending tons of healing vines and prayers for Luna :bighug::bighug::bighug:

80. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Glad to hear feeding is going well!! I hope everything else resolves soon :bighug:

We're still cheering for you Luna!!! get better soon girl!

81. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

Unlimited prayers and vines headed your way. Thanks for the overnight update. Glad she's in good hands.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

82. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

Dan, you have our continued prayers. Dear Luna, stay tough sweetheart.
    I have a cat on a potassium supplement - RenaKare Gel (mix in food twice a day).

83. Sanda Elena

Sanda Elena Member

More prayers and healing vines for Luna!

84. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Lots of good thoughts coming Luna's way today. Keep up your fight, dear Luna. You WILL get better.

85. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

Thinking of you and Luna with love, Nikki

86. Jerry dutchboy

Keep up the good fight little Luna, we know you can do it. Healing thoughts coming your way.:bighug:

87. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

Just got back from visiting. Spent the hour trying not to cry. Always considered myself pretty stoic, but this little cat gets me. She looked alert and held her head up a little bit when they first brought her in. Still really weak and just wanted to sleep. Going back in a few hour during my lunch break to see her again and my wife is going to go after work. I'll get some test results next time I'm there.

88. Gill & George

89. Sonia & Leo

Dan, my heart is just breaking for you, poor little Luna. What an unbelievably tough time you and your wife are going through. Continue to believe and trust, she IS going to come out of this very soon. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

90. Tina Marie (GA) and Jan

This brings tears because of your tears, Dan. I am believing she will get better. The recovery is so much slower than our hearts want it to be.
    I have an adorable little toy/stuffed sloth that I named Luna, after your kitty, a couple months ago.
    Even though you barely know me, I'm one of Many who care deeply, and are beside you in spirit.
    I survived DKA 40 years ago, and I believe Luna can too. You and your wife are excellent for Luna.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  91. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

My heart is with you -- such a difficult situation. Hang in there and know that even if she wants to sleep during your visit, she feels loved and cared for and that will speed her healing.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  92. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Enjoy your visits. Luna is a fighter.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  93. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Dan, like so many, my heart & spirit continues to be with you, your wife & Luna . It is ok to cry....at this point it would probably be helpful after all that you have been through. Let it out and know that even if Luna is sleeping and you are in tears, your love & presence still mean the world to her ❤️! Tears don’t take anything away from the strength, love & hope you are bringing to Luna—-she feels all of that positive energy.

94. Marje and Gracie

She is so lucky to have such amazing parents. It’s wonderful that you visit her so much and she knows you are there fighting with her.

More vines and prayers for little Luna to turn the corner to coming home with her beloved parents.

95. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

Just got back from a visit. They let me stay longer than the hour we scheduled...but really I think they just forgot about us.

No new big tests since this morning. BG still in the low 200s and I guess they're ok it being there. Next major update from them will probably be later tonight.

She seemed more alert and was looking around but eventually got tired and planted her face in the blanket again and slept.

The tech said she was standing at the front of her cage this morning for a little bit. She hasn't stood for more than a second or two since we've been visiting, so that's a good sign despite the alarming call from the vet this morning. He needs to throw in some good news too.

They increased her meals from 6ml to 12ml at the same frequency, which I think is every 3 hours. No BM yet, but needs to happen eventually now that she's getting food. Our regular doctor was worried about old poop in her colon, but the emergency docs didn't think it was a big deal.

Our doctor sent Luna's info to a critical care specialist they work with down in South Carolina. They sent back some changes to her plan, so hopefully that will help. There were different bags and tubes and instructions this afternoon, so I guess they already implemented them. Hoping to see an improvement in red blood cell count and electrolytes.

My wife is visiting after work tonight, and then I'll take the morning and afternoon shift again tomorrow.

96. J.J. and Phoebe Squeak

Wow! You are such great parents to Luna! Please know that there is an unlimited amount of prayers and healing vines coming to you 3 from all over the world. Team Luna is on a mission! And Luna is too.:bighug:

Sonia & Leo, Beth 73 and Tomlin like this.
  97. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

It is so good to hear that Luna is alert & even came to the front of the cage with those sweet marshmallow cheeks:p!! It’s nice you were able to get extra time with her :bighug:. It is also really great to hear that the vet reached out for some additional advice/thoughts regarding treatment. It is a awesome when a provider understands the importance of teamwork, knows when they are able to use some additional help & reaches out for the additional thoughts/recommendations—especially outside of the facility/clinic. Collaboration makes a world of difference with diagnosis and treatment!! That is really fantastic news for Luna :)!!

More prayers & positive energy your way :bighug::bighug:!!

98. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Sending more prayers for this precious kitty

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  99. For_Luna

For_Luna Member

We don't have test results yet from tonight, but this is the first time she's looked somewhat comfortable since she's been there. I haven't seen her do anything other than squat and let her head hang until it hits the floor. My wife sent from the visiting room. She's wrapped up in her blanket

Attached Files:

100. carfurby (GA)

That's great to see she is in her blanket. Sending more prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Beth 73 and Sonia & Leo like this.