? Vacation dose advice Prozinc

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Hshray, Jul 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

My husband and I will be out of town for a week and have someone to check on George multiple times a day and give him his insulin. We have not been able to find someone who can test him though, so wanted to see if there were any recommendations on what dose we should have the sitter give him.

I was initially thinking 1.5 units due to the fact that he has gotten down to the low 50s on 2 units, and I would like to keep it in a multiple of 0.5 since it will be easier for someone who is not familiar with all of this not to have to try to eyeball a dose somewhere in between.

Does anyone have any advice/recommendations? Does this sound like too much or too little?

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

When do you leave? Would a Libre be an option for you?

George has been on a bit of a mission...1.5U might be a little high. I like 1.25U but if you don't think they can do that, then one option is to do 1.5U and leave higher low carb food, closer to 8-10% to be safe (assuming you're normally feeding something like 5%).

1U I feel like you'd lose some of the progress you've made.

A good tip is to leave a syringe filled with colored liquid as an example. When I went into labor unexpectedly, the best I could do was fill one with orange juice, taped to an index card that said EXAMPLE DO NOT USE lol food dye is probably a better option. Ideally you'd slowly reduce him to the vacation doses but you can take him right back up once you get back.

I also left videos of everything in my Google Drive and sent them links.

3. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

Thank you for the response! She’s actually coming over in an hour to practice giving him his shot, so this was good timing. I’ll show her the 1.25 and let her practice filling it. I like the food coloring idea too!

Do you think I should start reducing the dose tonight? We have five shots until we leave.

We leave early Sunday morning. I would love a libre (for even when I’m home haha) but George gets soooo stressed at the vet that they actually had to wait until he was completely under last time to even do his regular shots etc. It would definitely make me feel better though…I’m nervous about being gone for a a whole week…so I will have to look into that for next time for peace of mind, or hopefully eventually find someone who can check his blood too. It’s been much harder than I expected to find someone who is able to do all of this.

4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I think it's funny they'll give shot but not blood...blood is way easier in my opinion! I'm lucky that I have family close by and we all alternate duties, special needs included.

I would start tomorrow. Go down to 1.75 tomorrow, 1.5 Saturday, then 1.25 Sunday. I'd check ketones Saturday just as precaution

Hshray likes this.
  5. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

Perfect! Thank you!

FrostD likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.