Vetsulin: to dose or no dose?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mary Cornelsen, Sep 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mary Cornelsen

Mary Cornelsen New Member

I’m doing a curve today and am just baffled by Paddington’s numbers. I’m at the 12h mark for the curve but he is still below 200 having no insulin since last night’s PM dose.

should I stall and keep the curve going or should I feed him and see what his numbers do? I’m so lost on how to interpret the numbers today!

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It looks like you tested at +1.75 and numbers are rising.

This is from the Beginner's Guide to Vetsulin about a low pre-shot: You had a couple of options.

Given the nature of Vetsulin, I'd strongly encourage you to do more testing. Vetsulin is a harsh insulin that can drop numbers hard and fast. Without data that tells you when your cat's onset and nadir is or how low the dose is taking Paddington, I'm concerned that you may be missing dose reductions. To be blunt, testing only at reshot is especially dangerous with Vetsulin. Is there any way you can get more tests?

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  3. Ann & Sister

Ann & Sister Member

Hi Mary
    How is Paddington today?
    Hugs,

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Mary you should color code where you have 197 @+1.75 Blue you have to do it manually

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-member-intro-mary-paddington.252279/

Previous post for continuity
    I see you said you work and going to look into an auto feeder , I would suggest
    that so Paddington can have a few meals while your at work. Can you get more tests in when you get home especially after his PM Dose, cats usually drop lower at night ,at least get a +1 or +2 to see if he dropped lower than his pre shot, if so you would want to test further

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  6. Mary Cornelsen

Mary Cornelsen New Member

He seems great. Playful, a bit mischievous, his typical self. His number still confuse me. So I am hopeful the vet can provide some guidance instead of just guessing on things. Thank you for asking!

Ann & Sister likes this.
  7. Ann & Sister

Ann & Sister Member

Good to hear, Mary.
    Good to see him in blues and greens...

Hugs,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.