Warning about Neosporin

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sienne and Gabby (GA), Jan 27, 2021.

1. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

One of our long time members had a conversation with her vet about the use of Neosporin. One of the antibiotics in Neosporin (with or without pain relief) is polymixin. If ingested in sufficient quantity, it can cause a severe allergic reaction -- an anaphylactic reaction.

The bottom line: Neosporin is NOT recommended for use with cats.

Emla cream is an alternative but requires a prescription.

2. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Yowsa, thanks for sharing! I think I'll switch to coconut oil when Jax needs some healing.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  3. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Thank you for this info. I’ve recently been using coconut oil on butters’ ears instead. It’s not the same but helps them heal faster than using nothing. I’m curious if anyone else uses anything different?

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I also found that Polysporin is not recommended for cats, the concern is if they ingest it. Polysporin shares two of the ingredrients with Neosporin, and one of them is the same concerning ingredient as Neosporin. Polysporin's main non medical ingredient is cocoa butter. My vet recommended a rinse with water diluted hibitane, left on for 5-10 minutes, then wiped/rinsed off. That was for a general sore, as an antibiotic.

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Wow! I used it on Max and many still suggest using it.

6. Our Dolly Girl (GA)

Our Dolly Girl (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you. I recently stopped using it because my cat’s ear was so red and sore, thought maybe an allergic reaction. I don’t believe that was it but continued to not use it. Will continue to not use it
    :):cat: Thanks again.

7. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Wow! And to think I used Neosporin after every test --countless tests--on both Rusty and Stu. I guess I'm lucky that neither tried to lick it off!

8. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I've used it for years and never heard about this. Thanks for letting us know.

9. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Interesting...Luci's been eating Neosporin for over three years now...she is especially fond of the NeoSporin brand - not as much for the store brand because she doesn't stand on the tube to squeeze it out, she just wipes her ears with her paw and licks that...

Maybe that's what's wrong with her?

https://allaboutcats.com/neosporin-on-cats

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

None of us were aware of this!

@Our Dolly Girl - it can also cause a topical allergic reaction but that's much less of a problem than anaphylaxis.

11. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

12. Adrienne & Molly (GA)

Adrienne & Molly (GA) Well-Known Member

Good to know I'll start using coconut oil on Molly's ears