Warning about Neosporin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sienne and Gabby (GA), Jan 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

One of our long time members had a conversation with her vet about the use of Neosporin. One of the antibiotics in Neosporin (with or without pain relief) is polymixin. If ingested in sufficient quantity, it can cause a severe allergic reaction -- an anaphylactic reaction.

The bottom line: Neosporin is NOT recommended for use with cats.

Emla cream is an alternative but requires a prescription.

2. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

good info TY Sienne

3. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

4. Gracie85

Gracie85 Member

It can cause reactions in people too, just from proper topical application.
    My son had fallen on asphalt while running downhill. Took off a huge patch of skin from his ribs. So we were dutifully coating it with neosporin, and those huge bandages.
    After a couple of days or so, took off the bandages to clean and re-coat it again, and saw that his raw skin was now covered in thumbnail-sized, fluid-filled blisters! Immediately off to the doctor, who told us it was an allergic reaction to the neosporin, and not all that uncommon. So, we became a bacitracin-only family at that point.

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

@Sienne and Gabby (GA) -

Just to make sure I understand the significance of this information, am I correct to say that members need to make sure that they do not suggest using Neosporin ointment on cats' ears when testing?

Mogs

7. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

@Marje and Gracie This is interesting as I have seen several references that it is okay.

8. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Things change and I believe the most recent information is from 2019. Topical application itself is not the issue. It’s if the cat ingests it which can happen the way cats bathe.

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

@Critter Mom - Yes, Mogs. From what we know now, I would not recommend Neosporin or any topical antibacterial that contains polymixin.

10. Summer and Susie (GA)

Is vaseline still okay or should I go to my vet to see what he recommends? I really need something that will help "droplet" the blood.

11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Vasoline, as far as I know is fine. It's been around forever and if there was a problem, I think we'd know by now.

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  12. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks for this. I guess we can thank Rachel and Felix for bringing this to our attention. A "newbie". Good for her.

13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Actually, that's not who brought it to our attention. It was a long term member who hasn't been posting all that often.

14. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thank you for making that clear, Sienne. I'm grateful to whoever first reported it and that Rachael brought it to my attention.

15. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

16. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.