? Week 8 Next Step

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shasta’s dad, Sep 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shasta’s dad

Shasta’s dad Member

Tonight is day 7 of 2 units of PZ. We've seen some drops (lowest being 157) but nothing below that. We've seen somewhat lower overall numbers but nothing near what we need. As always the first few days of a new dosage present lower numbers a spike and a return to red Preshot numbers. It has happened at .5, 1, 1.5, 1.75 and now 2. I've given him a full dosage at anything over 200. He also seems to have neurothapy since he lost his jumping ability shortly before being diagnosed with DB. We thought it was weight related but after following other new posts it dawned on me that it was related to the DB so I added 500mg of B12 twice a day. I've read somewhere not to give over 1000mg and I've read give 5000mg so I started at the lower amount I am not sure if that would throw a jump into his numbers. So do we continue with his current dosage, is that what you mean by be patient, or do we follow the "if his numbers continue to be high information posted on the Prosinc forum".

Suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

First, for diabetic neuropathy, you want to be using methylcobalamin (methyl-B12) not B12. There's a difference. Zobaline is formulated for cats or you can buy methylcobalamin from Vitacost. Where ever you purchase it, make sure there's no added sugar.

It looks like Shasta may need a dose increase. The ups and downs you're seeing look like bounces. When Shasta drops into lower numbers, his liver and pancreas overreact and dump a stored form of glucose along with couterregulatory hormones that cause the numbers to "bounce" back into a higher range.

One other possibility is that you're not getting sufficient duration from Prozinc. I'm tagging @JanetNJ to take a look.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If you're feeling brave I'd go to 2.5. If that makes you nervous I’d go to 2.25 for a few days first.

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

5. Shasta’s dad

Shasta’s dad Member

Wasn’t feeling brave. He just hit 78. First green in about month. That means back to 2.0 tomorrow. Always has to happen just before a trip.

JanetNJ likes this.
  6. Shasta’s dad

Shasta’s dad Member

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Hey that's great though!

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Yes that's good just give 3000 mcg's total 6 of them
    There is also Zobaline which people use they are pills 3000 mcg's
    you crush them up but they are crazy expensive 34.00 for 60 plus shipping
    A member here told me about the Vitacost brand, a lot of members starting using that, what they don't need they pee the excess out they are water soluable

Good luck with the increase , nice greens tonight. He's a handsome boy
    @Shasta’s dad

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.