Where to get Drontal?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nancy Lynne, Feb 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nancy Lynne

Nancy Lynne Member

Hi - I have five outdoor cats and they get worms at least once a year and the vet has always prescribed Drontal. I found out I can order it online from Chewy, but my local vet won't send in the prescription (not surprised since Chewy charges $4.25 for one table and the vet charges $48!) so I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on an easier way to get it.

Thanks!

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

They don't have to send the perscription.. Chewy will contact the vet directly for prescriptions. Vet just has to confirm it.

3. Nancy Lynne

Nancy Lynne Member

Vet won't confirm it, I got a message from Chewy and when I called the vet they said they don't work with the online pharmacies

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

That's nonsense. Does that mean he's making you get the ProZinc from him too? How much is he charging for that? It might be cheaper long term to go to a different vet.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

That vet's running a protection racket!

What are the laws in your state with respect to prescribing of treatments for companion animals? If my memory serves, in the UK a client is not obliged to buy prescribed meds from their own vet. Instead, the vet is required by law to issue a written prescription if the client requests one.

(@Diana&Tom, @Elizabeth and Bertie - am I remembering this correctly?)

Mogs

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    Reason for edit: Grammar.
  6. Nancy Lynne

Nancy Lynne Member

Called the vet and they finally agreed they would write out a prescription I could pick up but then I'd have to mail it to Chewy. And it would take a few days to have the RX written. Just ridiculous. I live in a very rural area and over the past five years I've taken the 5 barn cats here to all three vets in the area and I've had issues with each, and the current vet was the least problematic (until now) so going someplace else isn't an option. I did find a full bottle of Drontal on Amazon for $219 but I don't really need that much and I always worry about counterfeits with Amazon.

JanetNJ likes this.
  7. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Glad you've managed to secure the Rx. Just wish they weren't making it such a painful process for you, Nancy.

Mogs

9. Nancy Lynne

Nancy Lynne Member

Actually I'm not getting the hard copy RX, it's not convenient at all and I'm still trying to find another way to buy.

10. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Nancy Lynne and JanetNJ like this.
  11. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

I’m not sure about this, Mogs, sorry - Eliz will know. Your thoughts sound right though.

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.