Why would blood count be raised at +6 ?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shell, Mar 22, 2024.

1. Shell

Shell Member

I am starting again from square one. This time I have more knowledge about the insulin and especially the meter I am using.

But, should I be doing something differently if the count is even higher at +6 after the morning shot?

After breakfast it was 344. Now at +6 it's 352. I am used to seeing it go down in the mid-cycle and am confused.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Shell --

There is a + 20% for any blood glucose level (BG) you get when you test. This is due to measurement error that is inherent in the meter and strip and is within the allowances for all glucometers. Thus, a 344 and a 352 are essentially the same number.

Shell and Christie & Maverick like this.
  3. Shell

Shell Member

It's very interesting. I don't understand the math, but does it mean that if it's up to 20% higher it's the same?

I tested at PM at 2+ and it has gone up after his shot from 348 to 413. But, the doctor has also confirmed that we should not raise the dose more than .25 at a time (after 7-10 days per change) - echoing the same from the forum. I just want him back down again and I am very worried. What I have observed is that overnight, I really think it goes up because he is highest in the AM and lowest in the evening.

I'll do a curve in 7 - 10 days. Hopefully we can stay at this dosage with no adjustments until there's a curve. The doctor said that they should be consistently on the same dose for that long in order to perform an accurate curve.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
  4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If you were to take your BG test number and subtract 20% and add 20% that would give you a range for where the numbers fall (e.g., a test of 100 is the middle of 80 - 120). Any previous or subsequent test that falls in that range is likely to be the "same." Thus, if your next test is 115, it's really pretty much the same as your test of 100.

Again, let me do a bit of clarification. With SLGS, you hold the dose for a week. However, if a test falls below 90, regardless of when that happens, you need to reduce the dose.

I don't think you can make that conclusion. You do not have enough/any data from the PM cycle to know what Pumpkin's numbers are doing during the PM cycle. He could be dropping low and bouncing. He could be losing duration. He could be opening the freezer and eating ice cream. You just don't know what's going on.

Shell likes this.
  5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

That error is the absolute error compared to true BG determined by lab equipment. The error consists of meter error, strip error and system error. If using the same meter and same log of strios the error is a lot smaller than 20%

6. Shell

Shell Member

Perfect! Got it.

Got it!

Yes, I suppose he could be doing all of this. Since I don't really have actual numbers to prove my idea. I do hear him in the kitchen around 3AM, come to think of it. :)