Zhoom Boy AMPS 386 - threw up this morning, do I dose?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by CRL, Oct 27, 2019.

1. CRL

CRL Member

Well, we had a bit of a rough day yesterday on curve day - pretty much a flatline high and Zhoom didn't feel good. He sat in meatloaf position a lot and slept pretty much all day. I increased his dose last night by .25 U.

This morning he threw up, some food and bile (10 hours after eating) then threw up again a half an hour later with a little bit of hair in the mix. Not sure if I should give a full dose, a partial dose or none since I don't know if he will throw up again after eating. Any advice?

Then of course comes the question, why did he throw up and what to do about it - could it be the new food (switched about a week ago), the metronidazole (has been taking it for 2 weeks), the increased insulin.....so many what ifs and decisions I am not sure how to make.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I realize this is a long shot, but is your vet open? I think getting the nausea/vomiting addressed is important. vomiting is not inconsistent with IBD. Unfortunately, the medications you have aren't designed to help with vomiting.

Please take a look at this support group for IBD kitties. You may already be familiar with it. It's pretty consistent with what I mentioned in your previous condo -- metronidazole is not an IBD medication.

I would give at least a token dose providing that Zhoom seems to have an appetite. Is he looking for breakfast?

3. CRL

CRL Member

Thanks so much Sienne & Gabby. I will call the vet tomorrow, hopefully they can see me soon. I decided not to give him the flagyl today and I gave him half his regular dose of insulin. He happily ate all his breakfast. We will see what the day brings.

My understanding and research on the flagyl is that it has anti inflammatory properties and that is why vets will sometimes prescribe it to animals with IBD. I had another cat with IBD/possible lymphoma as well as SIBO who died from these diseases, so I am unfortunately all too familiar with the frustrations and complications of the disease. I was willing to try the flagyl to see if it helped with inflammation in the guts which could also be causing his BG levels to remain high. But, it does not mean it is the right thing. I will definitely take a look at the IBD support group. Thank you so much for directing me to it.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You're welcome.

The other place I found very good information on IBD was the Raw Feeding for IBD Cats site. Even if you are not planning on a raw diet, their information on medications and supplements, suggestions about what to do if your cat is vomiting or has diarrhea, etc. is excellent. Their Facebook group is a great place to get questions answered.