Zhoom Boy AMPS 404 - Curve day, not looking so good

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by CRL, Oct 26, 2019.

1. CRL

CRL Member

I changed Zhoom's food about a week ago to a lower carb food (Royal canin select protein rabbit 13% - Nature's Variety original rabbit 6%) and was hoping to see better numbers this curve, but it is not the case. He does not seem to be feeling that great today either. Sleeping most of the day. I did a urine test for ketones and it was negative, thank goodness. It seems that I should increase his dose to 1.5 U tonight. Does that seem right? His numbers tend to seem so flatline to me, sometimes with the lowest number being at the AM preshot. It makes little sense to me.

He is 2 weeks in on his month trial course of metronidazole for IBD. He often is hunched with elbows up, like he is uncomfortable. His stools are darker than normal and he seems to struggle a bit in the litter pan but the volume and frequency of stools seems fine. I can't remember exactly when the hunched position started. I think it had begun before the food change, but seems to be happening more often. I am worried that the new food might not be good for him (it does have pork in it, which his old food only had rabbit) or that it could be something with the metronidazole. Not sure what to do.

2. Margie and Jackson

Margie and Jackson Member

The rules of SLGS would call for an increase if nadir is higher than 150. You could try giving Zhoom a little canned pumpkin, NOT pie filling, of course. Maybe just a teaspoon, to start. Pumpkin seems to work wonders for my cats if they have either constipation or diarrhea. I hope he feels better soon.

3. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

Hi Charity!

Zhoom could be more tired because of these higher numbers...I think you're right that an increase to 1.5u is the right thing to do tonight, your curve says it all... Hopefully we will see some lower numbers on that dose. :)

I wonder if the change in poo color is due to the change in food? just an idea ;)

Sometimes Mowgli has his lowest number at AMPS too, I find it can be a few different things like a bounce breaking, or a later onset than normal or just something different that day. Im not super experienced but I dont think that his lowest number in the am is too much to worry about :)

Good luck with the new dose :D:D

Lets see you work it Zhoom Boy :joyful:

4. CRL

CRL Member

Hi Margie and Jackson. Thanks for the pumpkin tip, I will put it on my grocery list to have on stock in the cupboard.

5. CRL

CRL Member

Hi Amanda! Nice to hear from you again. Thanks for the well wishes and encouragement. Mowgli's SS is looking great! So much blue. Zhoom and I can't wait to see the sea of blue :)

AmandaE likes this.
  6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

That hunched position sound like "meat loafing" which kitties do when they don't feel well. Just an FYI - metronidazole is Flagyl. If you've never had the pleasure of taking this medication, it can make you feel truly awful. The one time it was prescribed for me, it totally killed my appetite.

Zhoom's nadirs are high enough that it's time for a 0.25u dose increase.

I have an IBD kitty. He has never been prescribed metronidazole. It's prescribed to treat an infection -- typically an anerobic bacterial infection or for intestinal parasites. It's not generally used for IBD. IBD is often treated with steroids. Have you done any reading on IBD in cats?

7. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

I can’t wait to see Zhoom in a sea of blue either!! It can take a little time but Zhoom will get there :) can’t wait!! :cool: