? Zobaline - prophylactic?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by bobjoh, Feb 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobjoh

bobjoh Member

Hello! Over 20 years ago, I had a diabetic cat named Wilsen. We were never able to get his diabetes under control, and he developed severe hind leg neuropathy. Not much to be done about it back then.

Of course, now I have two more diabetic cats, and I am terrified they will develop neuropathy. No one has it, but I'm over-analyzing everything they do and seeing problems were there are none. They walk and jump up on things just fine. Of course, now we have in-home testing, and many other options for sugar kitties!!

Has anyone used zobaline or another B12 as a prophylactic? Would that even be recommended?

Thank you!

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Diabetic neuropathy happens to unregulated diabetic cats. The main way to solve the problem is to get your kitty regulated.....which is easier said then done at times!
    Zobaline or methyl B12 supplements do help. Not sure it is necessary if neither of you cats is exhibiting any signs of neuropathy.

I used zobaline for Sheba. She had neuropathy quite badly. It resolved over time once I got the BG more under control and I’m sure the Zobaline helped as well.

bobjoh likes this.
  3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Unless your vet says that methyl-B12/folate supplementation is contraindicated for your cats, I think it would probably do no harm to introduce it, certainly for Alphyne since she's currently running that bit on the high side and would therefore be more at risk of developing neuropathy than Gryphen (who is in a somewhat better range).

Mogs

bobjoh likes this.
  4. bobjoh

bobjoh Member

Thank you both!

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

What a beautiful cat! Such a soulful face. :cat:

Mogs

bobjoh likes this.
  6. bobjoh

bobjoh Member

Thank you! That is Alphyne...even without the diabetes, she's a handful! ;)

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.