01/07 Apple PMPS 341 - Fur Shots & Daily Updates, Help!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Caren & Apple, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Caren & Apple

Caren & Apple Member

Previous post: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...-administering-shot-help.223881/#post-2504358

Forgot to post one for yesterday so here's a post for both then and today.

With TR protocol, we were advised to change his dosage every 6 cycles, correct?
    Today was a bit of a mess. We got shorter needles because I thought they would be easier to control - turns out the opposite was true. I gave him a fur shot twice before actually getting in the skin and before you freak out, I was certain that I did not pierce the skin. I shaved the area and used a flashlight and prescription glasses courtesy of my grandmother Caren to look for any puncture mark and to ensure that the last time I actually made it in.
    As you can see on the spreadsheet, he made an alarming leap from 177 to 341, but this might be from overeating. I know this is a lot of information but everyone on this page is more experienced than we are and we need all the advice we can get.

-Avery

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Please, never ever give a second shot. Unless you are using a harpoon, seeing the injection site from an insulin syringe is next to impossible. You truly do run the risk of overdosing your cat if any insulin from a fur shot went in and you gave a second shot.

What was Apple over eating? If you were feeding low carb, it's unlikely that the jump in numbers was due to low carb food. The more likely explanation is that the PMPS is a bounce from the 177. You also don't know if Apple's numbers were actually lower than the 177.

With TR, you would be able to increase Apple's dose at your AMPS tomorrow.

More accurately, you want to evaluate the effectiveness of the dose after 6 cycles (or after 10 cycles if you are seeing predominantly nadirs under 200).

3. Caren & Apple

Caren & Apple Member

What would the signs be of an overdose? Same as hypo?
    He was eating his normal pate, then he ran upstairs and ate with the others, same kind of food.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

An overdose would result in hypoglycemia.

If he was hovering up the same food, I would suspect the issue is more a bounce.

5. Caren & Apple

Caren & Apple Member

We just tested him again an hour and a half later and it's 401 now. Do numbers go up initially after an overdose or is he still just bouncing?