? 01/08 Merry - Should I increase tonight?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LuanneP, Jan 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuanneP

LuanneP Member

I guess I shouldn't have posted a few days ago about Merry doing so well but I really thought he was going to earn another reduction. Instead he's had a lot of yellows since his lower AMPS on Jan 5. Could this still be a bounce from that green? If he's still yellows throughout today, should I increase back up to 5u tonight or wait until tomorrow morning to see how he does on both today's & tonight's cycles? I don't want to let him stay too long with these yellows so I'm leaning towards increasing tonight but let me know what you guys think, please :)

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I would give Merry today to see if he's really done with the bounce from the morning of the 5th, then increase tonight. I think I'd be extra sure all bouncing is done, cause the previous dose got him into the 20's. :eek: It'd be fine if you want to wait until tomorrow for the increase.

LuanneP likes this.
  3. LuanneP

LuanneP Member

Thanks @Wendy&Neko :)
    Hubby just checked Merry's blood at +5 and he's 12.7 so not much of a change from AMPS so far.
    I'll see what he is at PMPS. He's surprised me before with a low PMPS after being a little high so we never know.

4. LuanneP

LuanneP Member

I read through this post this morning http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...combining-merging-protocols-good-idea.111088/ and it mentions that if the nadir is over 200 to increase after 2-3 days even if it is a bounce because it's too high & we want to get them back to regulation as soon as we can (comment #17).

Nadirs over 200: who cares if there is bouncing, cat needs more insulin, increase after 2-3 days.

So, I might increase tonight. If I increase tonight I'm home all night to monitor him closely. Tomorrow I'll be at work but hubby can check him at +3 & again at +6 if he needs to. Just thinking it might be safer to do it tonight when I'm home. Always so much to take into consideration.

Myagi (GA) and Heidi likes this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

True, but Merry has seen blue and even low green nadirs on this dose, after the 5.0 unit depot should have mostly drained. Always think of the question "How low can this dose take my cat?". That can change over time so you don't wait overly long. And flat yellows can sometimes precede a dive. Increasing when you can monitor is a good idea.

LuanneP likes this.
  6. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Good luck with the increase. If it were my kitty and because the 5 units took him into the 20's , I think I would just fatten up the 4.75 and not quite a 5 unit dose to see how that does.

LuanneP likes this.
  7. LuanneP

LuanneP Member

Merry was 11(198) at +8.5 so a high blue, but still blue :)

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  8. LuanneP

LuanneP Member

He was 10.6(191) at PMPS so I did not increase in hopes that he's coming back down from a bounce.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  9. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Good call. You can always increase tomorrow. Often times they go up due to NDW the 2nd or 3rd cycle after an increase. Any testing tomorrow if you do increase will be good info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.