01/12 Boomer

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Judy and Boomer, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Boomer did not have a good day yesterday. Although he did eat some breakfast, he didn't eat much after that. He turned away from food. He did lap up chicken soup when I offered it. Eventually there was some lip-licking when he turned away from food so I ended up giving another cerenia. He still wouldn't eat. I hesitated to give mirtz......I don't want to make him feel worse. But DH thought I should give it..... so I gave mirtz 1.5 hours after the cerenia. It didn't help; he still won't eat on his own. I syringe-fed last night before bed, a bit again at 1:00 am, a bit more at 4:00 am. Again this morning.

He did suddenly become active yesterday late afternoon: he would wander out to the living room, change spots a couple of times, then wander back to one of the bedrooms. Next time I would check he'd be in the opposite bedroom or laying in a difference spot. He did that all night long; up and down off the bed and into the living room. Not sure what, if anything, this signifies. Maybe that he can't get comfortable? idk.

He's currently on his desk in the spare bedroom. I check on him often but if he's sleeping I don't go near him....when he's sleeping he's not feeling discomfort or pain. I may increase his bupre to 3 times a day; cats are so good at hiding pain and I don't want him to be hurting.

We had rain all day yesterday, heavier rain last night, and it appears we got a bit of freezing drizzle and then a bit of snow on top. Should be a lovely skating rink out there today. Doesn't matter to me; I'm at home with Boomer.

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Boomer has a better day today. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Judy and Boomer likes this.
  3. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Please feel better today Boomer. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:
    For you and your DH :bighug::bighug::bighug:

4. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

5. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

6. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Boomer will be feeling better today. Best to let him decide to eat when he’s ready. He knows his body. He knows you’re there for him.

We drove down to nyc yesterday to avoid the ice storm that is now raging at home (we had planned to drive down today— glad we made a good decision. It’s 60 degrees F. here this morning!!!). Trip necessary for 2 reasons: a dental procedure tomorrow that can’t be ignored, and the opera ( we have tickets for Berg’s “Wozzeck” on Thursday.)

Hugs to you and DH. Scritches for Boomer

7. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Hope Boomer perks up and has a better day today. Scritches for Boomer and :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: for you and DH.

8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Hope Boomer feels better soon. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

9. Judy and Boomer

Well I offered him some liver shake and he took a few licks of it. Then I offered him some chicken soup and he took quite a few licks of that.

10. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sending along some snow covered appy vines from BC. :bighug::bighug: When he's awake, kiss the top of Boomer's cute head for me.

What did Dr. Larry think about the idea of giving ondansetron as well as Cerenia? They target different nausea receptors,. I found Neko needed both eventually.

12. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

13. Judy and Boomer

He told me that Ondansetron was what everyone had used in the past and that Cerenia was newer and better.

ETA: I don't think he is nauseous, well not all the time. I think he just does not feel well.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  14. Judy and Boomer

Well at 11:30 this morning I was a bit encouraged when he at least took a few licks of the liver shake. But today at 3:00ish he only took one lick and that was after I syringed a tiny bit into his mouth. And up til now, he didn't seem to mind being fed via syringe. This afternoon he turned away. :(
    I warmed him some chicken soup and he did drink a bit of that.

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  15. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Prayers for Boomer to feel better

16. Wendy&Neko

Actually, not true. The 2016 paper describing consensus guidelines for management of CKD in felines mentions using both. Starting page 231 of that document. The small cell lymphoma group I belong to finds ondansetron more effective that Cerenia, as do I. Do you think Dr. Larry would be willing to humour you and give you a script to try it? It won’t hurt, and may help. Licking at food and walking away is a sign of nausea.

17. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I 200% agree with Wendy.

Judy and Boomer and Sonia & Leo like this.
  18. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I have always used Cerenia and Ondansetron together for my very sick or palliative care kitties. Under the guidance of my veterinarian I also use Cerenia daily without a “wash out” period. I had the written Rx for Ondansetron filled at my local hospital pharmacy. I have had good results feeding Royal Canin Recovery formula canned food, however I was not feeding it to a diabetic cat, so I can’t comment on what the carb content might be.

19. Wendy&Neko

I fed Neko Royal Canin Recovery. It is low carb,did not impact her BG. Sometimes it was the only food she would eat on her own.

20. Judy and Boomer

Boomer won't even eat his beloved chicken or tuna now.

21. Judy and Boomer

I will ask him, he probably will. But....the ultrasound Dr did say she believed this was a very aggressive cancer....I think he's not feeling well at all. I'm increasing his bupre today to 3 .2ml doses daily instead of 2

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  22. Judy and Boomer

My mistake, it was mirtazapine and an alternative that he was talking about "being used in the past"

23. Tina and Salem

Tina and Salem Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for Boomer !!! Have a great day !