02/06/18 Texas Gizmo PMPS=226, +4=210

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LizzieInTexas, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

02/05 +11=170

AMPS=181

Eating is iffy. Seems like the a/d is the only thing he will eat so that is what I am leaving for today. He seems hungry and wants to eat but won't (except for the a/d). Even other pate (Dave's/Newman's) he won't eat.

I may give him a 1/2 Ondansteron when I give him the pain meds (even thought the vet says it won't help/do anything).

He needs to start eating better. :arghh: It is extremely stressful leaving him not knowing if he will eat.

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd definitely try the ondansteron. I hope Gizmo eats better today. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  3. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Sending better appy vines to Gizmo. Glad he will at least eat the AD. Have you tired baby food?

4. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending good appy vines for Gizmo and :bighug::bighug: for you.

5. LizzieInTexas

Turns up his nose at it. He also needs the nutrition of real cat food.

I gave him the 1/2 ondansteron and 1/4 Mitz. He wouldn't even touch the seafood (teaspoon) that I had mixed the Canna into. About 30 min after the Mirtz he went and found the bowl with the fish/canna and ate it. He just finished his +2.5 of a/d.

I think I need to increase to 0.75u tonight to compensate for the higher carb a/d - thoughts??

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  6. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I'm glad you tried the onda, and I hope the mirtz works too. I would wait on the increase until closer to shot time and you see what the numbers do and know for sure that Gizmo is going to continue eating (and continue eating the a/d, specifically).

When does the vet get back that saw him?

Continued feel better and appy vines for your boy. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. HWright

HWright Well-Known Member

Sending feel better, happy appy and steady bg vines for today and every day.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

8. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Prayers for back to normal appy today for sweet Gizmo and for you to be able to be at peace while at work , Lizzie :bighug:

9. MJW

MJW Well-Known Member

C'mon Gizmo. Be good for Lizzie, she is trying so hard.

10. LizzieInTexas

PMPS=226

History:
    AMPS=181, +2=200

11. LizzieInTexas

Got the rx for the Amlodipine

It is for 1/4 tab 2.5 mg every 24 hours.

@Wendy&Neko anything I should be concerned about? This is very new territory for us. CKD, FD, Pancreatitis - I am familiar with - BP/Heart is a completely different story - I know nothing. And if you can, add what ever comments per below (not sure if you know anything about anemia).

ETA - pharmacy wouldn't fill the rx because it wasn't signed. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I know @Marje and Gracie is out of town but hoping she will chime in when she gets back on this. This is from the vet per the anemia:
    I reiterated to the tech when I talked with her that he did NOT have fleas and that she had all the labs for two years and it shows that his anemia is an on-going issue and getting worse. I told her that the anemia can be a factor in his not feeling well and needed to be addressed.

Is this a one time treatment - every week? Monthly? Is there anything else I can do in the meantime to help with the anemia?

@Stacy & Asia
    The binder is coming in today also. It must be mixed with the food - correct? I have to research the dosage and figure out what to give him. I also got the niacinamide - I tasted it and it doesn't have much taste but a little metal taste but very, very slight.

@Christie & Maverick I got the potassium (Amino B+K) - I pulled the dropper out of the bottle and let him smell it and you would have thought it was ammonia - lol. I tasted it and it tastes like beef bullion - I am hoping he will eat it in the food.

Anyone else - feel free to chime in.

Another question - any issues with feeding a/d for an extended period? It seems that is the only food he will eat. I went and purchased 12 cans and I am giving 1/2 can per cycle (for now).

MJW and Alicia & Maggie (GA) like this.
  12. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

Love light and healing:bighug:

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I am sure your head is spinning with all the new stuff. :bighug: At one point Neko mostly wanted to eat just Royal Canin Recovery, so that's what she mostly got. It was 8% and a little higher P than I liked, but so be it. Veronica's Babu-chiri at one point would only eat A/d. Cat has to eat, so be it.

For the binder, yes it is mixed in with every meal. Your vet should be giving you guidelines for how much P to start with. Same with the K. They will want to do b/w in2-3 weeks to see how the doses are doing.

Neko's BP was never an issue. She was on benazapril for her proteinuria, so that might have helped, but her BP was fine before we started it anyway. Never did have to do BP meds, though @Amy&TrixieCat did give amlodinpine. Did the vet mention any side effects?

Neko's HCT was on the low side, but never where we had to do anything about anemia. Well, except for the time the oncologist recommended the wrong dose of Leukeran. :mad: After we went to the dose I had suggested, her HCT came back up. Still on the low side, but not where vetty would treat. So her anemia was part regenerative, part not. I can say that often when I was visiting the IM vet, I saw the same bean with his cat who was getting treatment for anemia. Seemed to be an ongoing thing. If it's non regenerative, it's not coming back. I did give b vitamins to Neko and it seemed to keep her stable. Check out Tanya's page on anemia.

Beth 73 likes this.
  14. Stacy & Asia

Here’s some info on how to calculate an amount to give:

My vet started Asia out (she’s 10 lbs and her creatinine at the time we started was 3.1) at 1/3 tsp a day, it didn’t bring the number down enough and at my request, was since adjusted by my vet to something more like a little less than 1/2 tsp. I measure it out each morning and put a bit in each meal and mix it up well. There are concerns of aluminum toxicity at some point, but I’m not clear on where that is and my vet was no help there. :p

15. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Poor Gizmo. I hope he starts feeling better for you soon.

16. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

I really really hope that Gizmo starts eating far better for you Lizzie.

So very stressful.

17. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

What was Gizmo's BP? Maggie takes amlodipine, 1/2 tab BID. We started at 1/4 tab, but eventually worked up to 1/2. I've seen no side effects.

18. LizzieInTexas

What dose is the pill?

BP 240

Pilling didn't go well tonight. :(:oops:

Alicia & Maggie (GA) likes this.
  19. LizzieInTexas

His creatinine is 3.5. Phos=7.3

20. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Lizzie, i am so sorry that Gizmo is going through such a tough time and i so hope that he improves for you ASAP. I don't have and personal experience with any of the drugs to stimulate red blood cells, just anecdotal. I think your vet's policy on the Aranesp is a good policy. Its a powerful drug and can have potentially fatal side effects. There is no feline equivalent of these types of meds so human or synthetic drugs are used and after a period of time, antibodies build up because of this. I have seen this in the horse racing industry with bad results so if Gizmo does need it, please understand that the vet's policy is in place to help and protect him. Sending vines and prayers.

21. LizzieInTexas

Thank you. Not so sure about this new vet so that helps.

22. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry you're going through this Lizzie, can't offer any advice on meds but just chiming in for healing/appy vines for Gizmo:bighug:

23. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

24. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

It's the 2.5mg. I'm sorry the pilling didn't go well. :( Maggie hates it too. I recently bought this type of piller and I really like it for capsules. @Stacy & Asia use the same kind (or did before the Toki truffle). I've started following the capsule with another syringe of .2-.3 ml of water given at the side of the mouth to wash the capsule down. If it sticks in the throat it can be painful and hamper absorption.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  25. LizzieInTexas

??

The drop was good but I didn't get his mouth closed in time and he managed to move the pill up with his tongue, it got stuck - added the water the eye dropper and it was foaming at the mouth and coughing (hacking), it just upset his tummy and upset him. He is better now and I have gotten him to eat a litte since. Poor guy just can't catch a break. At least it stayed down along with his PS meal.

Alicia & Maggie (GA) likes this.
  26. LizzieInTexas

+4=210 (food influenced). Just got him to eat a bit about +3.5 so this number is food influenced. Headed to bed. Tomorrow is another day - hopefully a better one.

27. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Bless your and Gizmo’s hearts, Lizzie :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Sending many hugs and prayers for you both . I know you will get this figured out and Gizmo will improve . Hang in there , strong Texan momma bean :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

28. Stacy & Asia

I got empty gelcaps and put the pills inside. A load of difference, no bitter taste or anything. I put butter around the gel cap to help it go down. Toki truffle was my version of a pill pocket. I use some kraft American cheese food slice and mold it around a pill and roll it in parm. Both of my cats have eaten them, but Toki stopped when she bit into the pill by accident one day. :rolleyes:

29. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Stacy found she could hide her civvie Toki's AB in cheese. She called it "Toki's truffle." Toki got wise, but she was using it on Asia with success. :bighug::bighug::bighug: for you both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.