03/08 Boomer AMPS 137 PMPS 131 +3 106, more results for Allen and question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Judy and Boomer, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Yesterday
    Good morning!
    AMPS 137 shooting 1.75u

Well Boomer is back to his old pattern of waking us up at 2:00. I don't know what, if anything, was different those couple of days when he let me sleep! He ate most of his overnight fuds.

Allen ate well overnight. I did have a conversation with Dr Larry yesterday. Allen's ionized calcium results are back and it is within normal range YAY! His CKD has progressed a wee bit so Dr Larry is ready to start treating it and suggested Benazapril but unfortunately one of the side affects is that it apparently can lower BG and we just got his BG up to 74. Dr Larry also mentioned Aventi Renal Complete.....does anyone here use that? Marje was kind enough to look at the b/w results for me and indicated that Allen is anemic (Dr Larry hasn't mentioned!!) and should be on B Vitamins....how are these normally given?

On the agenda today: taking youngest daughter shopping to find birthday present for oldest granddaughter who turns 14 on March 17th. And today is DH's and my 11th Anniversary so we're going out for dinner tonight.

2. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Happy Anniversary to you and DH , Judy :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Enjoy your very full , fun day :);):bighug:

Judy and Boomer likes this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Good news overall for Allen, Judy. Happy Anniversary! :smuggrin:

4. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Mostly good news for Allen!

I don't have too much experience with B vitamins, but I did briefly give them to Trix because of her CKD; however, they didn't seem to agree with her tummy, so I didn't keep going. I think that's pretty rare, though - and she was on so many meds that she was extra-sensitive. But, I used a B-complex (Jarrows B-Right) and just mixed a teeny bit in the gelcap with her other meds. You could probably mix it in with his food. It was a TEENY bit, but I can't remember exactly how much it was. I think if you look on Tanya's CKD site, there's information about how much to give.

Happy Anniversary!

Stacy & Asia and Judy and Boomer like this.
  5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy Anniversary. Sorry Boomer is waking you up again. I hope you can balance everything out for Allen. Sending prayers.

6. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

Happy Anniversary Judy and DH!! Hope you celebrate many more as well! Shoes gets an injection (sub q) of B12 every 2 weeks. It's something that I get at my vet's and it is prefilled to his dosage. It won't hurt Allen and any excess will pass in his urine. It makes Shoes feel better.

7. Pamela & Amethyst

Pamela & Amethyst Well-Known Member

Happy Anniversary:cat:

8. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

B12 is great, too, but from my understanding, when dealing with anemia caused by CKD, you need to use a B-complex - B12 alone isn't enough. I'm sure others will pipe in if I'm wrong on that!

9. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Happy Anniversary!

No advice to give on the B vit side of things.

10. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Happy Anniversary!!! Overall, Allen seems pretty stable which is great. The B-12 Doodles took was also mixed into his food...1/2 capsule twice a day. It must have been tasteless others Mr. picky pants wouldn't have eaten it.

11. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

I am sure you are right Amy. Shoes is not anemic but the B12 helps somewhat with it.

12. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Both B12 and B Complex should be given. You can mix it in food and if spread out over the meals shouldn’t upset the tummy. If it does, both can be injected. B12 isn’t a problem but B Complex can sting.

13. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

14. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Happy Anniversary Judy and Happy BD to DGD.

Sorry Boomer decided you didn't need to sleep. :banghead:

I don't have any experience with B-12 or the med Aventi Renal Complete. I hope you get the answers you need.

I miss Marje! Haven't seen her on in a while. Hope she is okay.

15. Judy and Boomer

+3 149 and +6 173
    Boing boing boing. :rolleyes:

I asked Dr Larry about anemia and whether we should be giving B vitamins. His response was "yes to injectables, no to oral" and when I asked why not the oral he indicated that older kitties do not absorb it well.

16. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Happy Anniversary Judy. :)

Neko was on benazapril - it didn't lower her BG that I could see. Does Allen have proteinuria? That's why Neko took benazapril. It's very important to treat proteinuria. Without that, the CKD progresses faster. You need a urine protein/creatinine ratio test to confirm proteinuria. Has he had his blood pressure tested too?

I gave B complex too when Neko got a bit anaemic. I too used the Jarrow's B complex. You use something like 1/10th of a capsule. At first I could just mix it into Neko's food, then she got fussy and I had to stuff it into the meds gel cap like Amy did. And Neko was also older (15) when I started giving it to her, and it did make a difference. If kitties aren't absorbing well, maybe their cobalamin (B12) needs supplementing. You can get a GI panel done that tests cobalamin and folate, or you can just supplement anyway. No harm. As it turned out, Neko's cobalamin test was fine. The injectiable B12 does not include the other B vitamins like the complex does.
    She is, just a little family business to take care of.

17. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Thanks Wendy!

18. Judy and Boomer

Hi Wendy!
    Dr Larry has never mentioned proteinuria previously. When Allen was in last time he tried to get a urine sample but couldn't. No, I don't believe his blood pressure was tested.
    I don't know what to do about the B vitamins! I hate to go behind Dr Larry's back and give Allen something especially when Dr Larry made a point of telling me it isn't a good option. But I read a lot on Tanya's site and didn't see anything about not giving the oral stuff to older cats. sigh. idk

19. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

How old is Allen? It sounds like Dr. Larry didn't think it would be a bad thing to do, just a waste of time.

20. Judy and Boomer

He is 15

21. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

The jarrows b-right multi is bitter and gross. I put it in a cap with kraft cheese slice molded around it like a pill pocket and Asia eats it that way. The methyl b12 doesn't have a taste. I gave that for a bit, but then I started ordering the injectable methyl b12 from diamondback (through my vet, I don't think consumers can order directly from there) and I give that once every 2 weeks per what is written on Tanya's about it. The thought regarding older cats is that they may not absorb it as well, orally, and I don't think it's specifically and age thing, but more to do with IBD or some condition like that which is common with older cats? Like Wendy said, it won't hurt, but sounds like Dr Larry just doesn't think it will do much for him. They discuss oral absorption a bit on Tanya's site. Can't hurt to give it a try. I think many vets aren't concerned with early or borderline anemia and only consider it a problem when it gets in the teens and then they need to use big guns to work on it. From what I understand, the b supplements can help maintain and keep the numbers from going lower before it's that bad.

Happy anniversary! :woot: I hope Boomer gives you guys the gift of uninterrupted sleep tonight! ;)

Wendy&Neko and Judy and Boomer like this.
  22. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Overall, not too bad a report for Allen. :):cat::)

Happy anniversary! I hope you have a lovely time tonight! :bighug:

23. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Happy Anniversary. Have a great evening.

24. Judy and Boomer

From your mouth to Boomer's ears!

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  25. Judy and Boomer

PMPS 131 shooting 1.75u
    I know this morning's shot was short. Couldn't for the life of me get 1.75. And he was bouncing. But it looks like the bounce is breaking.

26. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Happy Anniversary!! Enjoy your evening out and don't worry about the kitties.

Good luck with the B vitamins. Rusty gets a B-12 shot once a month. I think it helps, but don't notice any appreciable difference (Rusty is approx. 18 years old).

27. Judy and Boomer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.