03/14 Willow PMPS 97/+2.5 79/ +3.5 76/ +5 83- edited labs for clarity :)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by nslade001, Mar 14, 2019.

1. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

yesterday

Hi everyone, Willow surprised us by earning a reduction last night! Certainly didn't expect it...had just talked about increasing her lol.

We also got her bloodwork results back. The vet says stage 2 kidney failure. I'd love it if someone here would look at her labs also and let me know what you all think of it :) (for reference, her BUN and Crea were 9.8 mmol/L and 202 umol/L respectively on Nov 12/18 (I haven't got those results up yet for comparison). I'm in Canada, would also *love* to know what some of you are feeding, since obviously FF has to go.

I've been researching foods for 2 days (have copies of the food chart from Tanya's awesome crf site and Dr. Lisa, thank you both very, very much) and am in a bit of a dazed state from it all. I love weruva, but don't know if we can afford it and I also don't know if she could eat the amount she'd need to keep her weight up...it's hard enough to get her to eat all her meals right now! My second choice of wellness is also apparently out, darn it.

On another good note, willow was up waiting on her mat to be fed, meowed good morning and did her morning stretch! Then ate all her brekkie without coaxing! Really hope she's on an upswing, so good to see her feeling good :)

Hope you all had a wonderful night, and wishing you and your kitties a day of safe surfing! :) With love, Nikki

AMPS 5.4 (97)
    1.3 U Lantus REDUCTION from 1.55 U
    +2.5 4.7 (85)
    +3.5 4.4 (79)
    +5 4.9 (88)
    +9 5.4 (97)
    PMPS 5.4 (97)
    1.3 U Lantus
    +2.5 4.4 (79)
    +3.5 4.2 (76)
    +5 4.6 (83)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

That's great to hear! Congrats on the reducie. Sorry you have to deal with kidney failure, but at least it is something you can treat. Good luck finding food that works for her and she will eat. :bighug::bighug:

Krystina & Nelli and nslade001 like this.
  3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I'd also be interested in the food. I been looking also and find it confusing. It's either higher carbs for low phos or low carbs with higher phos.

nslade001 likes this.
  4. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Congrats on reducie

nslade001 likes this.
  5. nslade001

Hi, I don't know if you saw Jill's list she sent me in my yesterday's condo...link at top of this one. I haven't had a chance to really look through them, but I did find that the Nature's Logic are meant for intermittent or supplemental feeding only.

Also, I think that halo spot's pate one may be discontinued, as I couldn't find it on the halo site. I did like that halo offers dm and as fed as well as the ga nutrition info; when I looked at the halo grain free turkey and duck, thinking it may have replaced the spot's pate one, I worked it out to be 28.8/71.1/0 (though I may be wrong, math is not my strong point) I don't see a phosphorus as g/100kcal so I don't know the phos, but the DM is 2.1% and 0.6 as fed I think, but I don't know if that's ok for crf cats.

Lastly, I found that weruva has a lot of new pates in their bff line "play" I think? in pouches and can; the pates have are higher in calories than many other of their varieties, so may be cheaper to feed as well (less needed). I don't know if they're available in Canada though.

hth, with love, Nikki

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I never found the Soulistic, Dave’s, Hi Tor, or Whole Earth Farms in Canada. Your mileage may vary where you are. There are a couple of options that are above 200 but under 250 which are in the not bad category. And better than FF. Since Nikki’s phosphorus is still in range, you can probably start with just feeding lower P than serving now.

For the labs, it helps to have the values to the right of the range and units. And to either bold or colour the ones that are out of range. Did you get an SDMA done? That should be automaticly included if the labs went to Idexx.

7. nslade001

Hi, no I'm not having a whole pile of luck finding anything suitable around here when it comes to food. I have to find something better than FF though.
    Thanks for the lab advice, will fix soon. No SDMA was done, was sent to a lab called Antech Diagnostics.

ETA: I edited the labs, hopefully they're a bit easier to read. Thanks for the tips and please let me know if there's something else I should do!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The labs edits look good. Did your vet say anything about the low glucose? I used to t st on my meter at home right before Neko went in for bloodwork, to try to get a read how my meter compared.

The Koha Turkey Jill mentioned should be available in independent stores. There is also a sortable version of the food list so you can set the phosphorus to a slightly higher number like 250. Of course there are a bunch of new brands like Canada Fresh, Rawz, and Redbarn and none of them are in the food list. You can contact manufacturers to get values. I know Rawz will give it to you readily.

I made my own raw, with low phosphorus premixes, TC Feline (made in B.C.), and also FoodFurLife.

nslade001 likes this.
  9. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Do you have a Pet Planet in your area/N.S.? I've been feeding Whole Earth, so it may be available in some parts of Canada, but am in Alberta, so am not sure about eastern Canada.

nslade001 likes this.
  10. nslade001

She never mentioned the glucose; I measured it before we left (3.2) and after vet (3.1); bloodwork was done last because I wanted her blood pressure before the blood draw (which she usually finds incredibly stressful).
    Thanks, I'll check the independent and others as well :) With love, Nikki

11. nslade001

Thanks, there doensn't seem to be one near anywhere i might travel lol. with love, nikki