03/19 Boomer AMPS 94 +3 113 +6 106 PMPS 106 +3 86

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Judy and Boomer, Mar 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judy and Boomer

Judy and Boomer Well-Known Member

Yesterday
    Good morning!
    AMPS 94 shooting 2.25u
    Not sure whether it's the dosecrease or the result of the antibiotic that brought down his numbers but I am here to monitor until +5.5 when I have a dental appt. DH is here to monitor when I'm gone.

Boomer and I had a pj party last night. He never went really low but might have if I hadn't suspected it was going to happen and got a +2. I lost track as to what he ate last night, he had a couple of small snacks to encourage him to surf and I tried 3 different foods at his +6 to make sure he ate before I went to bed.

Allen ate well overnight but left a bit more in his auto feeder than he usually does.

Boomer has caught on to my hiding his a/b in chicken pieces and manages to eat around it :rolleyes: I tried cheese slice as well but he wouldn't eat it. It's really difficult pilling him because he clamps his mouth shut. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm wondering if I could crush it and just put it in his food since he always eats his food.

LuanneP likes this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice to see those greens for Boomer. I hope he surfs safely today. Will he eat pill pockets? Good luck at the dentist.

Judy and Boomer likes this.
  3. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Sorry you had to have a PJ party, glad it was uneventful.

I would keep trying different things to hide the pills in, even if they aren't ideal FD foods, just as long as he eats the pill without the trauma of having to pill him. It's temporary. Try some stinky fish? Liverwurst? Pill pocket? Different type of cheese? Hide the pill in one of those things and roll it in crushed freeze dried treats or kibble or something else he really likes? Some pills should not be crushed (they are time released), but if it can be crushed, put tuna juice or something very pungent to try to mask the bitterness? Hope you figure something out, Toki played the jaws of steel game with me too, not fun. :bighug:

4. Judy and Boomer

This morning (because I tried a few things so the pill ended up mushy) I left it in chicken but mixed it in with a wee bit of the higher carb ff. He got it that way.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  5. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad to see Boomer working the juice! Have you tasted the A/B? Usually they are very bitter and if you crush them into the food all the food is bitter and hex won't eat it. For Titan and Howard I use half a pill pocket or less if I can i.e. small as possible, then I meld one dry kibble onto the outside. Mix that with 1/8-1/4 tsp of his wet. Titan and Howard think they are crunching/eating a kibble and not a pill and down they go ! Good luck!

6. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Can you make a note on the SS that the AB was started? Regardless it's nice to see Booms back in the lagoon :joyful::D

Good luck with finding successful ways to get the pills in Boomer. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

When all else fails I crush it , mix with water and syringe :woot:

8. Judy and Boomer

Thanks Karen, I noted everything else but forgot that!

9. Judy and Boomer

10. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Wrong way, Boomer! Ah, pills...I hope you find the magic trick for Boomer!

11. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

:coffee::coffee::coffee: Hope u can rest today after ur pj party, Judy :):bighug:

12. Judy and Boomer

13. Judy and Boomer

I don't remember it being a big deal with him previously but man is he stubborn now!

Amy&TrixieCat likes this.
  14. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Awesome night last night! :D Sending dental vines for you.

Have you ever tried a pill shooter/gun? There's usually a spot behind the canines where I could get that in the mouth. Plus there's a way to put your hands around the top of the head so the jaw drops. Maybe get a tech or the vet to show you. If the pill is bitter, try putting it in a blank gelcap with a bit of butter on the gelcap.

15. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Judy, I have good luck with crushing the pill with the back of a spoon and I put it in a small amount of food so I can make sure he eats it all. Then I give him the rest of his food. If he detects it in his regular food, a small amount of tuna juice usually does the trick ( the tuna is so stinky and disguises the taste of any bitterness) Hope that helps.

16. Judy and Boomer

Part of the issue right now is that my knee is still sore and I have a difficult time kneeling on the floor to pill him. But if I put him up on a table/counter etc he's not at the right height for me. I tried some cheddar cheese earlier and he got it that way.

17. Judy and Boomer

PMPS 106 shooting 2.25u

18. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Where there's a will, there's a way (so they say). Rusty is impossible to pill. We had to resort to Convenia. Fortunately he wasn't allergic to it.

Nice cycle today, Boomer!

19. Judy and Boomer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.