04/05 Shmee +11 208, AMPS @323, vet update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amanda & Shmee, Apr 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Previous condo: www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/04-04-shmee-amps-311.193631/#post-2164463

Good morning :coffee:

I couldn't really believe the blue I saw when I woke up this morning, makes me wish I would have got a reading in the middle of the night. I set an alarm for a +2 but I was exhausted and fell back asleep :facepalm:.. oops. He gets an increase today to 3.5 and I will be sure to get some PM tests in these next few days.

Vet visit yesterday - Shmee was NOT a happy camper. There was a dog that got extremely close to his cage :mad: and really freaked him out in the waiting area, so it wasn't a good start. Then they took his blood and it felt like a child screaming. The entire place could hear him I'm sure. He is very vocal as it is, but yesterday was something I have never heard. He was terrified. I cried (he gets it from me, I am a big baby). So they gave me some Gabapentin pills for any future bloodwork, which is supposed to make him sleepy and more calm? I haven't researched it online yet. I asked about the dental work he needs (she confirmed there is a legion and she said it is probably very painful :(), and she said we can do the dental work asap but does not want to put him under if there is anything wrong with the liver, so we are waiting on the bloodwork to come back (should be today). If his liver levels have not improved, he will need an ultrasound which is an hour away from us and she said they would have to hold him down for a half hour.... which I cannot imagine after yesterdays escapades. So I am really hoping his liver is getting better.... We shall see.

** Bloodwork update below **

I hope everyone has a good day, Friday is almost here :cat:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  2. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending improved liver level vines for Shmee so his dental can proceed.

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  3. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Oh, I hope the liver levels are okay so that can get the tooth removed ASAP. They are very painful and one Bubba stopped eating when he had a bad tooth and it took him out of remission the first time. Poor baby being so upset at the vets. I just hate when people bring their dogs up to the cat cage at the vets. I started just turning the crate around so that the window is facing me so that the dog owner gets the idea that I don't want my cat stressed out.

( I thought I was the only one that cried at the vets........) :rolleyes:

4. Amanda & Shmee

Thank you both :cat:

That is a great idea I will have to do this from now on for sure. And I am happy I am not the only one too, it is so stressful!

5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Shmee got so upset at the vet. I bring a towel and drape it over the carrier to keep any other pets away. I hope you get good test results back and can get the tooth taken care of soon. Sending prayers.

6. Amanda & Shmee

Update - he went up over 100 points in an hour :( + 11 211, AMPS 323, +1 301.
    I cannot seem to get him at a good number at AMPS. He needs an empty stomach for the Denamarin, which he gets at 7:30 or 8am (in two pill pockets - I tried the grain free duck ones and he would not eat them, so I use the regular chicken ones.. if this is the cause I don't know what I would do because he wont eat the duck), and then eats at 9am.

I need to do this too!

7. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Continued vines for good liver values. He needs that dental!

The chicken is high carb. Have you tried just using half of it and spreading it out over the pills?

Does cheese work?

8. Amanda & Shmee

+3 update - 314 :( I am hoping this is a bounce from a low number I did not catch last night.

I have not tried cheese - I will give that a try tonight. I have tried smaller amounts of the pockets and he spits the half pill out :confused::banghead:

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  9. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Been there and done that! I just put the pill in Jones mouth and give him a poached chicken piece to follow.

10. Amanda & Shmee

** Bloodwork update ** Wow! His liver levels have dropped SIGNIFICANTLY! Check out his labs on my SS, I am so happy. Side note that makes me not-so-happy ... my dental estimate is $500, not like I have already spent so much $$$ already!!! :nailbiting:o_O what we do for our babies!!!

Thank you all for the vines, I appreciate the good thoughts! :bighug:

11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Awesome news on the new bloodwork data! :joyful:

Does the dental include predental X-rays? (asks the person who paid way more than $500). Sigh.

12. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Hooray for good lab work!

Sorry he needs a dental, but hey, his BGs could be completely different after you do that, in a very good way. I would make sure they get an X-ray too, sometimes the damage is below the surface. He has lesions? Did vet mention anything like tooth resorption? It used to be called feline odontoclastic resorptive lesion (FORL).

13. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Yes, YESSSS!

Make sure that includes predental Xrays and all follow up medication if needed. I just paid $1200 for a cleaning and 3 extractions.:( Well worth it though. Civvie is back to normal.:)

14. Amanda & Shmee

Thank you everyone :cat:
    The estimate she sent does include "radiographs", which I just googled and learned are the x-rays? So that's good. And it looks like medication is included too, but if I have to pay more for meds I don't mind. I have included a copy of the estimate below.

Yes she saw one lesion, it was a small red bubble on the bottom of his tooth :(. And she did not mention tooth resorption. Should I ask her about that? What is it and would they find it with the x-rays?

Wowza :arghh: ! Yeah the more I think about it I think this estimate is just for the one we saw... if there are more then it will increase. I am so happy Civvie is back to normal. :smuggrin:

upload_2018-4-5_22-11-21.png

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  15. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

I would ask about it, if they don’t see it on visual examination, absolutely an X-ray would reveal it, what you describe sounds like it could be tooth resorption, but I know little to nothing about cat dentistry, so it could be something else. It’s a weird thing that cats get, they don’t know why, but it’s almost like their gums grow over and dissolve their teeth. Asia had it, it’s very painful and teeth extractions are the way to go if it’s present. Shmee will feel like a new cat when they are out (if he has it).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.