04.13.2019 Nelli AMPS 303; +5.5 333; PMPS 410 I need advice; Nelli needs help <3

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Krystina & Nelli, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

Days ago...
    I am worried and I feel like Nelli is being let down by me.
    I don’t, don’t, don’t understand why her numbers were what they were today-
    I wonder, could I have given her the occasional fur shots recently, unknowingly? I could have but unlikely.
    Tonight when I rolled her skin (as usual), I felt wet after inject. Not real wet... a tiny bit. Then smelled her fur. Smelled Lantus... a tiny smell of.
    Nelli has other issues going on which I was planning to, am going to post in Health within hours.
    I am sinking rapidly, with Nelli and we need help.

2. Krystina & Nelli

Nelli has not been in the red since the day we joined this forum... 07/26/2018 :nailbiting:

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Why did you only give 2.5 this morning?

It does sound like you gave a furshot though and that's why she's running higher than usual.

I read a little on your spreadsheet and know you are pretty frustrated with your current vet. You may want to seriously consider getting a 2nd opinion if you feel your concerns aren't being heard.

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  4. Krystina & Nelli

Thanks @Chris & China (GA) ... I dropped her down this AM because she had been on 2.75 for 10 cycles and the green Nadia’s recently?
    If a fur shot has caused her high, high numbers today...when would fu4 sho5 have happened?
    I almost truly believe she hadn’t gotten a fur shot until potentially tonight.
    Yes, the Vet.
    I am waiting for the culture results, which I expect one day early ain week. Regardless, I agree and will pull another vet into the mix. Thanks :bighug:

5. Chris & China (GA)

Since Nelli is a long term diabetic, she shouldn't earn reductions until she drops below 50 three times or below 40 once.

If anything, it looks like she could go up to 3U and see if you can get all her numbers down some. You've held 2.75 for 10 days which is too long and can let glucose toxicity set in which just makes it harder to get a dose that can break through it.

6. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

She’s not. She was dx in Jun, 2018.

Also, even the CG of a newly diagnosed cat that has shown it doesn’t hold reductions can use the three drops between 40-50 as a reduction tool. For the general membership reading this, for a cat diagnosed less than a year, the typical reduction point is one drop below 50. For a long-term diabetic (diagnosed longer than a year), the reduction point is one drop below 40.

For both, the three drops between 40-50 can be used if the kitty fails reductions.

7. Chris & China (GA)

Which one is correct?

19-20 y/o DX 6/21/18 Lantus TR. DX 8/28/17 (or was the 8/28/17 for the Mld Hypertrophy cardiomyopathy?)

8. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I believe the latter date in 2017 was for HCM.

9. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. Krystina & Nelli

8/27/17 DX is the Mld Hypertrophy cardiomyopathy

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  11. Chris & China (GA)

OK...wasn't sure with all those dates.

I still think you could increase though and let's see if it brings her numbers down better.

China was one of those cats that I had to wait for 3 drops below 50 or she wouldn't hold her reductions despite being (at the time) under 1 year from diagnosis so it's something you could think about doing with Nelli.

12. Krystina & Nelli

@Marje and Gracie and @Chris & China (GA) - ok, glad we got the DX’s straight. Sorry for the confusion :eek:
    Would someone chime in on why Nelli has recently jumped so high? Again, she hasn’t been in the red since we joined this Board back in early July 2018 :nailbiting:

13. Chris & China (GA)

I know you want answers, but there's just no way for us to know. It's possible she's just bouncing higher than usual from her drop to green yesterday or she could have something going on with her health that's making her numbers go higher. How are her teeth?

Also, holding the dose longer than recommended can lead to glucose toxicity ….where her body gets used to being high (despite the insulin) and you have to go to a higher dose to "get her attention" (for lack of a better way to put it)

14. Krystina & Nelli

Please don’t think I am just not responding... if I don’t in near future-
    I have been up for 17 hours, had a busy ( draining) work day... I am exhausted.
    Will be awake early in am and look forward to input and comments :bighug: :cat: :bighug:
    Will test Nelli before sleep and post same.

15. Krystina & Nelli

Had dental exam and cleaning within last 6 mo. Has all teeth :cat: and no/never gum disease :)

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  16. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Piling on the earning reductions topic, regardless of how long they have been diabetic, they can also earn a reduction by spending a week in normal numbers. That is all tests, not just nadirs.

As for high numbers, don’t sweat a day of bad numbers. An unearned reduction plus furshot could be part of it. How is Nelli feeling/acting in general, how are the 5 P’s? What is her heart rate?

17. Krystina & Nelli

@Chris & China (GA), I don’t want Nelli Signature to be confusing... would you please recommend to me how I might, how you’d clean it up so it is clear?

18. Krystina & Nelli

Thanks Wendy for nudging me back into earning reductions Sticky :bighug:

19. Krystina & Nelli

Nelli is not feeling/acting well :(. This (dramatic) change came about abruptly when ear infection began... weeks ago. Nelli had been having the off days clearly related to arthritic pain prior to this.
    I think you might remember I was dancing a Bupe Rx... please for Nelli, dance with vet. Well dance has not finished- thought it had when vet agreed to phone SubQ rx into diamond back last Tuesday. Has not been done yet.

I am (also) having trouble with vet taking Nelli ear infection=Nelli not feeling good, seriously. I fear what started out as a treatable outer ear infection may be progressing into middle and or inner ear trouble. As of 4/10 Nelli has become completely deaf :nailbiting:
    At this stage (weeks into), vet has now taken culture sample (last Tuesday) and sent it off. Told me it would take 3-7 days for a result. If at day 3 the culture wasn’t growing anything, this would mean negative? Otherwise culture would grow within 7 days and then she’d know exactly what it was and could then treat.
    I asked her if there was a non steroidal treatment. She said with conviction... “oh, yes.” She’ll give diamondback the results of culture and they formulate a solution to, specifically target results :).
    Today is day day 5 and I haven’t heard back... yet. I am focusing on end of day Tuesday, trying not to wonder & worry.

20. Krystina & Nelli

Four out of 5 are normal :cat: :bighug:.
    One P, “playing” has gone away :(

Nelli loves her cat nip bananas and green fish. Interest in these has been minimal if any... ever since, ever since her ear trouble :(.
    Her heart rate is normal. Good. Every time we’ve been to the vet over past 6 weeks (5 times!), it has always been normal.
    I’ve always kept an eye on her BPM and if anything, they are going lower than normal- which I’ve often wondered if this is reason for concern?
    Thanks, Nelli and I appreciate you :bighug:

Bronx's dad (GA) likes this.
  21. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Hope things improve:bighug: