? 05/14 Shmee AMPS 355, +4 239, opinions?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amanda & Shmee, May 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Previous condo

Good morning L&L,

Unfortunately Shmee hasn't seen blue for a few days and still seeing pinks. I don't know if this is too soon for me to even mention, but I wish I could give him a "fresh start" since he's had the dental... Since the beginning I felt he might be on too much insulin, and I see so many more greens and blues around 3-4 units. I know people have mentioned that it is common to see greens and have to go past them to the new increased dose, but it is hard to ignore, especially since his circumstances were different back then. Would he have been holding a dose back then if it wasn't for his teeth? I see both sides of the story; people say be patient and wait, but I also see people mention that it is easy to go past the correct dose and look like they need more can actually mean they are on too much... So its a hard game to figure out.

Thoughts?
    Thanks and I hope everyone had a nice weekend.

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't do TR but I see you have moved up to 4.5u.

Just checking...he doesn't have any residual type infection going on does he? Was it just a cleaning or was there a extraction done?

Those greens you got on May 9th on 4.25 looks nice. He bounced until the 11th until he saw some blues and looks like he bounced again.

His liver might be a touch more sensitive since those lime greens.

4.5 units doesn't look like a bad idea to me. Hope more experienced people come along soon.

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I'm glad you increased. You do a great job testing, you have been increasing in safe amounts, I don't think you've missed any lows. Therefore, he's not on too much insulin. The "too much looks like too little" story only works if people have either started at too high a dose, increased by large amounts, or aren't testing enough to spot the lows. You did a larger decrease than normal from 4.75 to 4.25 units. I guess Shmee was telling you to follow the protocol. :) He will tell you when the dose is too high. The other thing to consider is that glucose toxicity can be part of the picture. If he goes for any length of time without seeing green, they become scary and foreign again to his little body.

4. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I second that. I kept passing greens and blues. Felt like Silver was teasing me. Just keep going up in increments - then he'll start to come back down again. How many days AB were you given? The insulin is still good?

5. Amanda & Shmee

Yes he did have gingivitis and legions so he had seven :eek: extractions. He was on an AB for a week (Clavomox). I don't know if he technically had any infections (I assume so?) or if the AB was just given just in case he did.
    His liver wasn't doing great in the beginning when he was diagnosed, but after a few weeks of Denamarin (that he is still on) his liver levels became normal. The labwork that shows the improvement in his liver levels is on my SS.

Thanks, I hope this is the case. But I keep thinking - even if I haven't missed lows, his body is different now that he has the teeth out / those possible infections are gone. So, how are we to know if we went back down to 3 or so that wouldn't help him? Is it because his body is now used to the higher amount, and going back that low isn't really even an option? I am still so curious as to what would happen. I hope that makes sense.

Seven days on the AB. I just started insulin on 02/26 so I should have about three months.

6. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I was told on here than 14 days is normal for dental AB. I was given 14 days. Maybe residual infection still around? The insulin is almost 3 mths old however I use mine longer than that.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  7. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Is he due to go back for a recheck to make sure things are healing properly?

8. Amanda & Shmee

Ugh yeah she said one week on AB should be good :(

And she wanted his checkup two weeks after the dental, so his appointment is Friday.

I am hoping I am just being too impatient ... and he needs some time to heal before his BGs start going down?

9. Amanda & Shmee

And oh yeah I forgot to mention, yes Wendy I am kind of regretting my BCS dose of 4.25 (I still cant get over that term! haha). It was because I had made a mistake and increased him too soon (4.5 to 4.75; I waited three days instead of five :banghead:). So that along with the lime green, I thought I should play it safe and go down to 4.25.

What a fun game this blood sugar game is... not! :p:cat:

I don't know what I would do without this community!

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

From our experience with many cats here. Shmee will let you know if the dose is too high by earning reductions. Going to a lower dose when a higher dose is needed, just results in higher numbers. And even more glucose toxicity. I've even seen ketones result from this "experiment".

Neko did fine on just one week of antibiotics after her dentals. One time it took her about 10 days after the dental to start responding with a reduction. Another time there was no change in dose. Just remember who is leading this dance. :cat:

11. Amanda & Shmee

Wendy&Neko likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.