? 05-22 Dagobah AMPS 445 +2 415 +6 463 +8 383. She's ill. R to bring her down?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Marie Dagobah&Nikita, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marie Dagobah&Nikita

Marie Dagobah&Nikita Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...agobah-amps-405-2-268-4-148-6-85-8-92.195900/

Dagobah is ill (stuffy nose and coughing). Her numbers are very high and I am worried.
    She has had DKA previously. KTest = 0,3µmol/L but I am worried that with numbers this high and not eating well (I have just had to syringe feed her) it will get bad.

I have used R with her before after her last DKA under supervision of my vet
    I have a vet appointment on Thursday, until there I would like her numbers to get "fine" again

Would you use R in this case?

2. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

If you know she isn't eating well or feeling well, I would absolutely do something to address it insulin wise, I would start with an increase in L to 1.25 again. I know it brought her low last time, but it also happened right after a low preshot and might not have happened otherwise. If you have a low preshot like that, you know she likes to drop, you need to give higher carb food right away to try to keep control of it.

I would keep monitoring ketones a few times a day if possible and save the R for if ketones increase. Are you using a blood ketone meter or urine strips? I think you will get more staying power with the L increase, R is a very short term fix and can make the bounces worse if not timed properly.

3. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Steph & Quintus & L & O Well-Known Member

4. Marie Dagobah&Nikita

Waiting the PS will be long ... but I will wait and increase her dose.
    I use a blood ketone metter. I'll monitor @+10
    I Know R acts quickly, and I know how long it acts for Dagobah, but sometimes (like today, I don't know what is better) I'm to worry to think correctly

5. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Exhaustion doesn't help to think clearly either. I can only imagine how tired you must be! :bighug::bighug:

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Dabogah is bouncing from yesterday's greens, as well as the fast drop in yesterday's AM cycle. Adding R to the mix would probably make any drops even steeper. I agree with Stacy, start with an increase in the Lantus.

If you are exhausted, try to take a nap today. You don't need to test her anymore until PMPS time.

In Asia's condo today, Stacy brought up the topic of Levemir. We have had at least one other cat in France on Levemir, somit is possible.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  7. Marie Dagobah&Nikita

Tired? What does it mean??? ;-)

I'm fed up with rebounds!!
    I can take a nap, sometimes in my dreams, because the baby doesn't want to take one...
    I Know Levemir is possible, I just would have liked not to start over again, because I will have to start over two times (for two cats), and I think I'm already going mad :)

8. Marie Dagobah&Nikita

Ketones went to 1.2mmol. I put .25u R (gly 518) let’s spend a night with my syringe :-/

9. Stacy & Asia

Yuck! I'm sorry this is happening. We don't recommend using R on an L increase cycle because you just don't know how the cat will react and it could create a low situation that spells trouble, but I know you will be monitoring her closely because of this and the ketones. Make sure she's getting enough food and water, feeding high carb food is okay, whatever she will eat is better than not eating. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

10. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

It looks like you already gave the R insulin, and she came down 100 points in an hour. That may cause a bounce. Will she eat any higher carb food? Any food she will eat right now, when ketones are increasing it better than none. I would syringe food if she won't eat.

11. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sorry about the high PMPS number. I think 0.25 units might have been too much R. She has really enacted strongly to even 0.1 units recently. I hope she eats for you tonight.

12. Marie Dagobah&Nikita

I used R because of ketones, and tried to feed her (my fridge is in the table...)
    I also called the vet "de garde" (on duty?) who told me I was alright and she couldn't give me more advice. (She also was very interested in TR and other protocols, but that's an other story)
    Finally she ate some chicken and some raw turkey (I put some honey on the turkey) she drank a bit of milk, and I am here to watch her as long as necessary before to take her to the vet at the opening "tomorrow"
    I apologize for my traduction it's far to be perfect!

J'ai utilisé R à cause de l'augmentation du taux de cétones, et essayé de la nourrir (le contenu de mon réfrigérateur est sur la table...)
    J'ai aussi appelé la vétérinaire de garde, elle m'a dit que je n'avais rien fait qu'elle ne m'aurait pas conseillé. (elle était aussi très intéressée par TR et les autres protocoles, mais c'est une autre histoire)
    Finalement Dagobah a mangé un peu de poulet cuit, et de la dinde crue (avec un peu de miel) elle a bu un peu de lait et je reste pour la surveiller aussi longtemps que nécessaire, pour l'amener à l'ouverture du cabinet vétérinaire "demain"
    Je m'excuse pour ma traduction qui est loin d'être parfaite!

13. Stacy & Asia

Marie, you communicate perfectly well. I’m glad you got her to eat something. Looks like the R and L increase dropped her very fast and likely set off a bounce. I hope your vet visit goes well tomorrow and that is great that the vet is interested in TR, maybe she would be interested in Levemir? I know it sounds like starting over, but there have been people on here that switched and it went very beautifully almost right from the start. That may not happen with your cats, but I also think it wouldn’t be a big setback to switch, considering how things are going for them with Lantus. You could even try with just one and see if you like it so you’re not wasting the Lantus and can use it on the other cat. Can’t hurt to ask about it so it’s an option. :bighug:

Marie Dagobah&Nikita likes this.
  14. Marie Dagobah&Nikita

Glad to read it! I was not sure!

Dagobah is having an inhalation, I will test her right after it (glucose and ketones) and I think I'll try to get some sleep (it's 5:30am)
    I hope she will eat during my sleep, but I know she ate so I'm a little less nervous

Her dad takes her to the vet when he wakes up, I'll let you know! I asked him to talk about Levemir, but if we go to it, both will get it ( to avoid confusion )

Thank you for your help, I hope to bring some good news later!!

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  15. Marie Dagobah&Nikita

Ketones went to 1,7, I called back the vet, who told me to give her 1dr R and let Dagobah sleep a little... she licked a little "cottage cheese" and ate a tiny piece of turkey... I'm scared and tired... I think it's better for everyone to try to sleep

16. Steph & Quintus & L & O

Oh my, so sorry to read this... Dagobah and her ketones are a real nightmare... keeping fingers crossed, there’s not much else I feel I can do...

17. Marie Dagobah&Nikita

Hello! I wanted to let you know Dagobah is at the vet right now. She stays at least until tonight, the time for te vet to find the origin of her breath issue and make sure the perfusion makes her better.

She wants to do an X-ray and huge blood control, check her for pancreatitis...

So I’m gonna play to the lottery! (Who knows, with two diabetics, I could have luck somewhere else!!)

@Stephanie & Quintus , you’ve already done so much for us <3

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  18. Stacy & Asia

I’m glad the vet was able to take her and investigate the problem. Teeth are a huge problem for diabetic cats and many cats with ketones the infection source is often teeth as well. Will keep my fingers crossed there is no pancreatitis! Let us know how she’s doing and I hope you can get a little rest today. Sending sleepy baby take a nap so your mama can too vines your way! :bighug:

19. Marie Dagobah&Nikita

My mum lives 1000km for here ;-) but baby is sleeping with dad, I'm a little jealous, in can't sleep...

20. Steph & Quintus & L & O

translation note: breathing rather than breath, sounds like she has a URI or something obstructing her airway somewhere, maybe

21. Marie Dagobah&Nikita

@Stacy & Asia excuse me for posting in French with google’s awful translation, I am really too exhausted to translate myself!

Nous voilà rentrées!
    La radio est ok tout a une taille et une apparence normale; pas de cétones dans les urines, la bouche et la langue sont ok.
    Au niveau de la gorge on constate un gonflement des ganglions ainsi qu’une sensibilité à l’examen. Princesse trop peu coopérative pour pousser plus avant l’examen.
    Elle a reçu une injection d’antibiotiques et d’anti-inflammatoires ce midi, les traitements seront poursuivis pendant 6jours.
    Le traitement a déjà un effet positif puisqu’elle mange seule et avec appétit.
    Les mesures de la glycémie seront rentrées dans le tableau tout à l’heure!
    En attendant Dagobah prend la pose avec ses belles chaussettes pour vous remercier de vos pensées et ondes positives

We are back!
    The radio is ok everything has a normal size and appearance; no ketones in the urine, mouth and tongue are ok.
    In the throat there is swelling of the ganglia and sensitivity to the examination. Princess too uncooperative to push further examination.
    She received an injection of antibiotics and anti-inflammatories this afternoon, the treatments will be continued for 6 days.
    The treatment already has a positive effect since it eats alone and with appetite.
    Measurements of blood glucose will be entered in the table earlier!
    Meanwhile Dagobah takes the pose with his beautiful socks to thank you for your thoughts and positive vibes <3

Attached Files:

22. Stacy & Asia

Eh bien, elle est très à la mode! :cat:

Merci pour la mise à jour, ont été inquiets pour vous deux, je suis content que les choses se passent bien et j'espère que les médicaments aident. C'est tellement bon qu'elle mange toute seule! Ont-ils trouvé une source d'infection? J'espère que vous aurez tous les deux un repos bien mérité. Guérir les vignes à Dagobah! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

——

Well she is quite fashionable!

Thanks for the update, have been worried for you both, I’m glad things are going well and I hope the medications help. It’s so good that she is eating on her own! Did they find any source of infection? I hope you both get some much needed rest. Healing vines to Dagobah!

23. Steph & Quintus & L & O

"healing vines" translates as "heal the vinyards" :D:D:D:D and so the result is "heal Dagobah's vinyards!"

Marie: ce sont de bonnes ondes, "vines" = déformation de "vibes" :cat:

24. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

More healing vines for your sweet kitty, such a gorgeous photo with the socks on.

I am sorry I did not respond earlier, I am going away on vacation on Friday and have been very busy with preparations.
    I am glad Wendy Stephanie and Stacy were able to help.
    :D:D:D

25. Stacy & Asia

That’s so funny! It’s how the “vines” came to be in the first place, a typo as opposed to a bad translation. Maybe we should heal the vineyards for the French kitties instead, their own inside joke! :joyful:

26. Marie Dagobah&Nikita

hahaha! I live in a village called "Sainte Cécile LES VIGNES" :D:D:D

Dagobah is fine today, she eats well and breathes better, but she doesn't want to wear her beautiful socks anymore...

27. Marie Dagobah&Nikita

Did I thank each of you ? don't remember but Thanks!!

Dyana, Gill & George and Stacy & Asia like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.