05/29 Shmee AMPS 301, +8 151, TR dosing opinions

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amanda & Shmee, May 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Previous condo

Good morning,
    Posted late last night, naked belly photo in my last condo :)
    I assume he will see another pink at AMPS. I am torn on increasing him. Can you please let me know how many previous days you look at when thinking about an increase? Doodles & Karen said they look at the last five days. This seems long? I am tempted to increase him today with these high numbers, but he was just 66 four cycles ago. So is it too soon to increase?
    Also, I know it is recommended to increase by .5 now, but right before the dental I increased him to 5.25 and he did well. I am thinking I might try this again?

Thanks for any input and vines to all those in need of a hug :bighug:

2. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Not sure re dosing but I just got told we don't increase by 0.5. Dental didn't do much for Silver's numbers either. I won't put him through that again.

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I agree with Karen. The protocol says hold for 5 days at least when you start to see nadirs under 100. Shimmer bounced from the numbers he wasn’t used to which is common.

4. Amanda & Shmee

I am sorry to hear this Juliet :( I hope Silver comes around soon! I just looked at your condos and your SS, and I think they said not to increase by .5 because you are not at 5 units yet. You increase by .25 until you reach 5 units, then the increases are by .5.

Thank you for your response Elise! I did decide to hold the 5U dose today. Although I am still a little confused. Yes the protocol says hold the dose for 5 days when nadirs are under 100, but this will be his ninth day on this dose.... I know that I have asked this question before so I just went back in my condos and found that @Wendy&Neko said they usually hold the dose for three days after a green (if they have already been on the dose for 5 days like the protocol calls for) just in case it is a bounce that is going to break. So I think I understand now? I just don't want to screw anything up. Since today will be his third day after the green, if he does not see green today I am going to increase him tomorrow.

Now the question is.... should I really increase him by .5? I know that is what the protocol calls for, but I increased him to 5.25 before the dental and he seemed to do well. Hmmm...

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

6. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

The biggest thing to remember is.. ECID. If you saw good numbers at 5.25u before, I don't see why you can't just increase by 0.25u to 5.25u.

Also, we allow for 6-10 cycles for a bounce to break. Not all cats break their bounces within 6 cycles and there have been instances where an increase happened on a bounce-clearing cycle so it can be "too active" of a cycle.

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  7. Amanda & Shmee

Sounds good.
    The more I think about it I am glad I did not increase him today then, since today would be his 5th & 6th cycles. I would not want to increase him too soon. He has never really held a bounce for very long, but then again is hard for me to tell. I think I will be good to increase him tomorrow then if he doesn't see a green today. Thank you!

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Some cats also take less than 6 cycles to break a bounce. Cats taking more than 6 cycles to break a bounce is uncommon. And I wouldn't as a rule always wait 6 cycles, especially if you know it takes your cat less than that number of cycles to break a bounce.

The size of the increase also depends on whether you are just trying to tweak an already pretty good dose, or make a real change. Since Shmee saw 60's on 5.0 units, I might try 5.25 units next. If all you had seen was a fleeting glimpse of the 90's and above, I might go for the larger increase. And it definitely is ECID. Neko was sensitive to very small changes when she was in lower doses. Some cats need the full meal deal dose increase. This is all part of what you have to learn about Shmee.

Good luck with the increase. Looks like Shmee might have lost his green mojo. You listening Shmee - prove me wrong!

9. Amanda & Shmee

Sounds great. This is a real science that's for sure.... I feel like I never stop learning since it is not very "cut and dry" and ECID. I appreciate all the responses and advice!

10. Amanda & Shmee

Saw more blues today all the way up to +10 so far :cool: so I am thinking maybe the bounce has broken? I am still trying to figure out how exactly I will know, but seems like it could be true. If this is the case, I think it is safe to increase him to 5.25 tomorrow then, if I don't see greens today or tonight. Sound ok? Or be patient and wait one more day for possible greens?

11. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

I think you would be safe to increase tomorrow.

12. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Increase tomorrow unless you see a good geeen number today. Just putting that out there Shmee!

13. Amanda & Shmee

Haha, thank you both!

14. Amanda & Shmee

PMPS 166 :eek::) I guess the bounce is officially cleared!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.