06/13 Freckles/Judy - PMPS 88 PFS

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Judy and Freckles, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

last post

Been awhile since posting. I have been dealing with a very sick puppy. Sadie, my 14 year old Border Collie ended up becoming anemic due to taking Metacam. She had started taking Metacam in the middle of May due to arthritis. Sadie started coughing and was lethargic. Respiration rate was faster as well. Initially, I thought it may have been kennel cough because she had been to 3 vets in the past month (1 for the initial diagnosis of arthritis, 1 opthomologist (Sadie had cataract surgery @6 mos of age so this was a routine pressure check) and the third vet was for a chiropractor appointment). Eventually Sadie's gums started to become pale and after blood work it was evident that she was anemic - rest of blood work was all in the average range.

My poor girl was bleeding internally, and ultrasound and xrays did not show anything abnormal so suspected bleeding ulcer. Today was the first day that her red blood cell count actually increased, so that's a good sign as I was dreading the thought of her having a transfusion. Sadie is the EXTREME mommy's girl and I was worried that her being separated from me would be the end for her. Now, I'm cautiously optimistic that at lease she's holding her own. Her appetite is starting to come back, but she is still very listless and breathing is rapid. We go back for follow up blood check on Monday.

And to top off the evening, after a nice low PS number, I go and give a partial fur shot...:banghead:

2. Teri & Disco NoFurNo (GA)

Teri & Disco NoFurNo (GA) Well-Known Member

How very stressful! I am grateful my other two kitties are staying healthy so I can focus on Disco. Hope your doggie can bounce back from this quickly

Judy and Freckles likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Missed you and sweet Freckles, how is she acting/feeling these days? Out of curiosity, what is GP in the spreadsheet?

Sorry to hear about Sadie. :bighug: That sounds really scary.

4. Judy and Freckles

Freckles is doing well, despite getting into a bag of milk powder :rolleyes:. GP is the Golden Paste (turmeric).

Yes, Sadie is my 'heart' dog. Constant companion and so very loyal. Saved me from getting hurt multiple times when I was in the corrals with cattle. It's hard to see her like this that's for sure.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Don't beat yourself up about the fur shot. I'm sorry about Sadie. I hope she continues to improve. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

6. Karen & Lily

Karen & Lily Member

So sorry to hear about Sadie. You might want to consider GP for her arthritis. Lots of dogs do very well on it. And take it better than kitties! :rolleyes:

7. Zelda & Walter

Zelda & Walter Well-Known Member

8. Zelda & Walter

Zelda & Walter Well-Known Member

Hi Judy—funny— I was just thinking about you yesterday and hoping that everybody was all right. Sounds like you’ve had a tough run with Sadie—hopefully things will improve. And don’t worry about that fur shot—happens to all of us. Take care.

9. Judy and Freckles

Yes, she was on GP prior to this whole ordeal, but she is off of everything right now until these current meds are out of her system. From what I read, the current meds are pretty potent with lots of interactions. 1 more day and she's done with the meds. Thanks for your thoughts.

10. Judy and Freckles

Colour is starting to come back in her gums today. She's still breathing rapidly, but her appetite is starting to improve. I'll take all the improvements I can at this point! :)

11. Judy and Freckles

Thanks Zelda. I think we are on the right road now with Sadie. I see Walter has had a good run in the blues!