06/24 Mowgli +11 272 AMPS 272 PMPS 265 +2 196

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by AmandaE, Jun 24, 2019.

1. AmandaE

AmandaE Well-Known Member

06/23 Condo

Morning everyone!

If I don’t see a better PMPS tonight I’m going to increase dosage to 1.25u. I think Mowgli’s BG readinhs are levelling out into a relatively flat curve, but at higher values than I’d like to see.

He also has developed a habit of relentlessly begging to be let outside. It is a constant and devastating meow and it is obnoxious and not cute at all. Any advice for something like this?

Below is a picture of him comfortably looking uncomfortable :p 78AC1CF9-825E-44A8-B758-7B6283376D34.jpeg

Ross and I have a camping trip coming up and still don’t have Mowgli’s care fully settled. I’m not sure what we’re going to be able to do with him.

Fingers crossed it works out before the end of the week :/

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Love the picture. It's funny the positions cats will lay in. I hope you can work something out for your trip. No suggestions on the begging unless you just don't let him outside. Eventually he'll quit. At one point I took Furball outside for a couple of times one summer. She drove me crazy begging so much I had to quit. She eventually stopped begging.

AmandaE and Sonia & Leo like this.
  3. Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA)

Ti-Mousse (GA) Pepe (GA) Well-Known Member

Looks like he enjoys posing !!! A little movie star! But watch it Mowgli, Amanda is preparing you something you might not like! Better put your yellow shirt in the laundry and put on the nice blue one with green stripes!

Hope you get everything settled for your camping trip; how about your BIL, can he help you again?

4. Debra and Yoyo

Debra and Yoyo Well-Known Member

Awww...he looks so comfy and adorable.

Shhhhh Mowgli, did ya hear....your mother is talking about an increase...hmmmm....what ya' gonna do about that...better think fast......Have a great day!

5. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

Poor Mowg! An increase threat and no going out to play! But he's soooo cute!

We only let Leo out when one of us is available to watch him constantly. He's got a habit of being there one minute and then disappearing the next. :rolleyes:

I really hope you can get something figured out this week. :bighug:

AmandaE likes this.
  6. AmandaE

It is so funny the positions he puts himself into! He looks so uncomfortable there but he’s just loving it :)

Me too. Right now I’m thinking pet sitter once a day and then having a friend stop by once a day if I can find one

That’s what has happened to us. He is so determined to get back out there. It’s too bad that he’s ruining it for himself. We would have let him out from time to time if he wasn’t so annoying begging all the time. I guess I should admire his tenacity.

7. AmandaE

He’s a total ham!! Mowgli! Please listen to Lyane.. let’s get your blue and green duds on... or else :p

It’s a lot to ask of my BIL. He has 4 kids 4 and under so asking him to pop by twice a day on a strict schedule is kind of unreasonable... especially during the summer. I asked my sister if maybe he could just do the mornings, but I still don’t want him to feel pressure to help. She’s going to ask him about it.

I’ve asked my houseguests if they could do it and they should know by Wednesday if they can. If they will still be here they could do the mornings and I could get a pet sitter for the evenings. There are a few in town that will shoot insulin.

8. AmandaE

Hehehe!

I hope he hears you Debra and that you have a great day too! I haven’t forgot about you! I’m going to send you my recipe for the brown bread! I made 6 rolls for my boss since he’s also from the east coast. I’m going to tell him I expect a raise :p

9. AmandaE

I know, he has such a hard life right!?

Mowgli also has to be watched when we let him out. We’re more worried he will get stuck under a deck or escape the yard.

I hope the increase threat gets some action ;)

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  10. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Does he have some interactive toys? Those give them the stimulation they are craving sometimes. My group that I rescued from my backyard who have more of the outdoor cat instincts go absolutely crazy over the SmartyKat:

https://www.amazon.com/SmartyKat-Ho...rds=smartykat&qid=1561382595&s=gateway&sr=8-1

11. AmandaE

That looks sweet! Mowgli does like to play but he loses interest fast. I think Nyx would love that you though, thanks for sharing!!

12. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

Worth a try :). This is actually the first toy that they actually keep interest in. Its to the point that we actually have to put them away at night because they will literally DRAG the toy into the bedroom at 2 or 3am because they want to play & need us to turn it on. Crazy! I'm thrilled that they are loving it though.

13. AmandaE

LOL! that is hilarious!!

14. Tomlin

Tomlin Well-Known Member

It is now but it wasn't during the multiple nights of being woken up rather abruptly by the sound of a plastic base (has batteries so not lightweight) being dragged over wood flooring :p

15. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

AmandaE likes this.
  16. learjetta

learjetta Member

I hope that works out for you! Our pet sitter experience was a good one, although they weren't able to keep a strict schedule.

Are you tent camping? We haven't camped in several months, and we are itching to get back to it! Although, we glamp since we have the RV. Running water, AC, refrigeration... it's kind of cheating. But we still love it!

AmandaE likes this.
  17. AmandaE

LOL It's like: Thank god your cute... that's how I felt about Mowgli this morning when he woke me up at 330 so that he could beg to go outside :facepalm:

Sonia & Leo and Tomlin like this.
  18. AmandaE

Thanks! I hope so too!

Yes, we are tent camping. We dont rough it too much, we use an air mattress :p that being said, most campsites have gravel laid down now anyway so I cant imagine just using a foam pad. I love the idea of an RV honestly! no judgement from me... If we had one we could just bring the cats along ;) :p

I was thinking of you the other day... and how you said that you thought Lantus smells like Band-aids... I agree!! as soon as you wrote it (I think you wrote it) I was like: She's RIGHT!!!

learjetta likes this.
  19. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Give that tummy a buzz from me! :kiss:

Ever thought of taking him camping with you? We have had a few members do that with their FD kitties.

AmandaE likes this.
  20. AmandaE

I will do! he loves tummy rubs :)

I would LOVE to bring him camping, but we are just in a tent and are planning some hiking and some wandering through the towns we visit... He's not the type of cat that would tolerate one of those cat carrying backpacks, and It's Grizzly country so I would be nervous leaving him behind... a bad idea for many reasons.

I would definitely be up for bringing him on a camping trip where I know I wouldn't be leaving the camp site.. He would love it too. I've been checking the frio website everyone has been referencing for smart insulin storage... I think we will order some of their products for our trip home in August.

How was your trip!? I'm hoping that there are pictures :D

21. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

22. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Good luck with the dose increase.

I have a cat cage that is attached to my house. The window has a doggie door in it and they go in and out as they please. The only time they cry is the spring as they think the window should be open.

AmandaE likes this.
  23. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Hi Amanda

I just saw Carla’s @carfurby tag from yesterday. He’s had several nadirs under 100 on this dose although it does look to me like he’s petering out a bit on it. I’d continue to hold it for now as long as you are still following SLGS.

If you catch nadirs during the week and you see that they are trending up above 150, as long as you know how low he is getting, you could increase the dose by 0.25u.

Sonia & Leo and AmandaE like this.
  24. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

@Marje and Gracie Thanks for taking the time to answer. Sending prayers for you and your sister and family. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

AmandaE and Marje and Gracie like this.
  25. Marje and Gracie

Thank you, Carla. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

26. AmandaE

You have a wonderful day too :)

27. AmandaE

Thanks Marje :)

I'm going to be away all next week so I was feeling a little pressure to get Mowgli into better numbers before we go since he will be going on a reduced dose while we're away. I'll try and catch some nadirs but I think since I will be away next week it wouldn't be a good idea to build up a larger dose depot just before I leave for vacation.

What do you think?

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  28. AmandaE

thank YOU, Carla, for bringing in the heavy weights ;)

29. AmandaE

Oh! a "catio" I've read about them but I'm not ready to commit to the construction of one :p I think they're a very smart idea though!

I'm indecisive about the increase... let's see how Mowgli is looking tonight at his PMPS o_O

30. Tracey&Jones (GA)

When do you leave for your trip?

I bought it from a company in Ontario.

31. AmandaE

I am leaving Saturday Morning! we're going to drive straight from Fort Mac to Jasper, we're staying there for 4 days and then 3 days in Yoho :)

Cant WAIT!

Oh sweet! do you have a link?

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  32. Tracey&Jones (GA)

AmandaE likes this.
  33. Tracey&Jones (GA)

34. learjetta

learjetta Member

Yep, it was me. When we started giving shots to Boris Scott noticed it right away. :)

AmandaE likes this.
  35. AmandaE

OMG AMAZING!!!! That is AWESOME Tracey :D

36. Tracey&Jones (GA)

It was worth it. That picture is of Weasle and Jones. Now the girls have taken over. Libby and Missy are in it all the time!!! There is a man door on it so I can go get them but it has a lock so no stranger can take them. They are protected. We have had a few neighbor cats come in and try to pick a fight but nobody ended up wounded and are cats can escape if needed. We have put turf on the boards now as it has gotten older and didn't want the cats to get slivers. I should take a today picture.

AmandaE likes this.
  37. AmandaE

I would love to see an updated picture!!

38. AmandaE

Looks like Mowg had a flat yellow day... Are we going to see some action tonight Melly-moo? PMPS 265

39. Wendy&Neko

Yikes! Be safe you. For when you aren't going into such a rough area, here is someone's story about camping with a diabetic kitty.

Great idea. I bought one when I took Neko to Fort Collins Colorado.

If you ever met @Marje and Gracie , you wouldn't call her a heavyweight! :p:p But I do agree with her suggestions. If you do find this dose is petering out, it might be a good "vacation" dose. Plus it's on a line and much easier for someone to measure.

40. AmandaE

Bear spray is locked and loaded :D We aren't planning to hit any crazy secluded trails or anything, hopefully we wont have to use it :) Have you ever been to Yoho? If so any recommendations?

This story is AMAZING!! So many great ideas on my condo today! did you see Tracey's Catio!?

They seem to come so highly recommended...which size did you use?

Maybe a Light Heavy Weight?

Good idea about the vacation dose, and, it is SO nice to be able to provide a line for reference. Lets see how Mowg progresses :)

41. Wendy&Neko

extra small travel size, 5 by 5.5 inches. I put a couple cartridges in it. Then put it along with some meds that needed to be cool in a lunch size insulated cooler and gel pack. I was travelling on a plane with Neko.

AmandaE likes this.
  42. AmandaE

I will be doing the same :) Thanks for the info Wendy :D

43. Wendy&Neko

PS: Yes there are pictures, not they aren't organized yet. On my to-do list.

AmandaE likes this.
  44. AmandaE

It’s so much work to do! Can’t wait to see some when they’re ready!!

45. Wendy&Neko

Here's a sneak peak. First two from Bolivia, last one is the archeological site with the best location in Peru (as seen from the Sun Gate).
    Bolivia1.jpg Bolivia2.jpg Peru1.jpg

46. AmandaE

Wow!! These are amazing! The ones with the flamingos look like you’re on another planet entirely!

How did you find the hike to Machu Pichu? I can’t believe what a great shot you got! Did you have a guide? I’ve heard such amazing things about Peru! Now that I’ve seen your pics I feel like I should really go :D

47. Wendy&Neko

Southern Bolivia is really unique. We went there for the Uyuni Salt Flats, and found so much more. A lot of extinct volcanoes and lakes with different minerals in them, lots of different colours. One part of desert they call the Salvador Dali desert with many colours, rock formations surrounded by those volcano mountains. Not many tourists, we got around by Landcruiser on dirt roads. Lots of different wildlife, including foxes, vicunas, vizcacha, ostriches, and of course llamas. It was winter and got quite cold at night, plus we were at high altitude, getting over 5,000 meters a couple times. Really the high desert.

Machu Picchu (note the double C in the last word, you don't want to know what it means without that in Quechua :p). You can get there by hiking a piece of Inca Trail, or by train/bus. We did the latter and just did hiking around the site and later did a 10 km portion of Inca trail on another day. The Sun Gate was a good hour hiking up to get there before the sun cleared the mountains and hit the site. They do strictly control how many people get in the site and yes, you do need a guide for the main part of the site.

48. Marje and Gracie

Agreed. Have a great trip!

49. AmandaE

Wow. As a Geologist you have me really intrigued about Bolivia. It sounds AMAZING!! I also love sighting various wildlife, especially when in different countries. Bolivian scenery sounds magnificent...

Thanks about the tip RE: the double c :p

I didn’t realize that there was a restriction on how many people they allow into Machu Picchu, but I think that’s great. It’s better to control the amount of total human disturbance in these areas in one period of time. I think it would improve the tourist experience as well. I would also have taken the train or bus up considering the terrain. I would want to have the energy to explore the ruins fully :)

Honestly, this sounds like the trip of a lifetime! I can tell by what and how you’ve written about your time in South America that you had a great trip and made some awesome memories, what more can you ask for from a vacation?

50. Wendy&Neko

A friend of mine who is a geologist went to Bolivia for her honeymoon years ago. A further tease, at one point the Pacific Ocean was much higher. We saw places with coral fossils beside lava flows, at over 10,000:ft above current sea level.

AmandaE likes this.
  51. AmandaE

So awesome! The travel itch has been initiated ;)

Wendy&Neko likes this.