06/27 Shmee AMPS 187, +5 138, PMPS 151, +5 58

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amanda & Shmee, Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Previous condo

Hi L&L,
    Shmee had some high blues this morning, hopefully coming back down soon.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Thanks for this @Wendy&Neko, this really made me consider small trips more. It seems like such a hassle and I don't know if it would be worth it but I would consider it.
    I will also try to focus on good blood sugar numbers, I just really cannot see myself doing this for years in all honesty. I would do it, but the thought is incredibly daunting. I NEED him going into remission. I feel like this has very much messed with my mental health, and I do not want to do it for the rest of his life. I have a long Disney trip planned for September of next year. It makes me want to throw up thinking he may not be in remission by then. I cannot leave him for that long. He needs to be.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Juliet likes this.
  2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I went for a 3 week trip to Indonesia and Japan in February of last year. Jones was DX in December. Like you, it was planned out and paid for a long time in advance.

I planned what I needed for Jones. Fretted over every detail. Food, medication, finding a pet sitter. You should of seen the notes pasted on my fridge for my DH and DS. Hypo notes, food notes with pictures and everything so DH knew what to feed the 4 cats. You know what....I was absolutely terrified to leave. I was so happy I did though. Jones did fine, better without me according to my DS as I was stressed and that had Jones stressed out. I came back refreshed and happy I let go of everything for awhile.

I now take trips when I can...do the same planning and it is a nice break for both Jones and myself. DH and I have been doing day trips on the motorbike this summer. It is great to get out and enjoy the sun.

Remission is not possible for Jones so once I had that in my head, it made it easier to make sure I put some "me" time into my life.

3. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I hear you. I thought the same last year when Silver was diagnosed in October. I'm also going away for three weeks in September and thought I had a whole year to get him in remission. That year is now two months and it won't happen for this trip. You have to look at it in bite sized chunks. You may be doing this for the rest of his life but just look at the now. I'm now looking towards getting things in place for my trip. Not a holiday or I'd cancel.

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  4. Amanda & Shmee

Thank you for sharing your story, it is inspiring, I will need to think of that in the future.. It makes me extremely anxious just thinking about it all.
    Do you think there is a chance that Shmee can still go into remission? According to the TR study if they start TR within 6 months is a good chance, so I have REALLY been hoping this will not be our future.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  5. Juliet

Juliet Guest

No cat is predictable so impossible to say. Even if he does get remission you will always have this in your future so long as Shmee is alive. Once a diabetic always a diabetic. Silver was in remission three years. Anything can knock them out of remission from need for a dental to UTI to accidental raid of wrong food. You'll always have to monitor and test. I tested Silver once a month so when he lost his remission it was caught immediately.

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  6. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Never say never when it comes to cat...:smuggrin:

7. Amanda & Shmee

I understand, a break for a few years would be much better than permanent diabetes to me. All I dream about is both of us being able to go away again for weekends and vacations, and going on my hikes not having to worry about Shmee. Since he started TR within six months of his Dx I am hoping (and dreaming, often!!) for the best.

Juliet likes this.
  8. Juliet

Juliet Guest

What's to stop you going away for weekends with him now?

9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Depends why he is on the dose he is. The TR article was not written with high dose kitties in mind. However, that doesn't mean they can't go into remission, it just might take a little something extra. Or not, Neko was diabetic 5 years. Sometimes DH or I took separate holidays, or she came with. You learn to do things differently. Once Neko got onto Levemir, her cycles eventually became a lot more predictable. I knew how much to lower her dose and how far in advance, to make sure she was safe while I was away.

Like Juliet suggests, try planning weekend trips with him. See how it goes. Talk to the local vet clinics and see if they have a tech or other staff that does pet sitting and tests. Some cities have specialty petsitters that do extra things like fluids, shots, tests, meds. A good petsitter will really help.

Nice blues today. :cool:

Amanda & Shmee and Juliet like this.
  10. Amanda & Shmee

All of that is just very hard for me to grasp. It really almost gives me a panic attack thinking about him not going into remission. I need our life to be back the way it was before is all I keep thinking. I am going to try my best not to keep my hopes up but I am really sad that you said the TR study did not take higher dose cats into consideration. I feel like this has been a big blow today... I know I have to try my best to not think like that. Anyway...

+5 58, gave him a MC mixture of 1/2 tsp HC gravy and 1/2 tsp of LC.
    +20 mins 58
    +20 mins 59

Setting an alarm for an hour since hes stable, hopefully that will be ok.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.