06/28 Shmee - stick with shooting 6U in the morning?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amanda & Shmee, Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Previous condo

Good morning everyone :coffee:
    Shmee got down to 58 last night, I gave him a MC mixture of 1/2 tsp HC gravy and 1/2 tsp LC and he did not go lower.

IAA test in - he was at 5, so negative for IAA which is a relief.
    The urinalysis came in too (included in the blood panel) and there was no more glucose compared to last time he had +3, so that is good.
    The IGF test is pending as of last night, I suspect I should be getting it in today. Hoping with everything in me this is negative too.

Here's a few lounging photos for this lazy Thursday wishing I didn't have to work :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

This is Shmee on DH (Steve), we both work at home so this is his main spot. They are best friends.

[​IMG]

I hope everyone has a nice day :)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  2. Amanda & Shmee

Question - I know when they get below 50 they get a reduction, but I am also supposed to try my best to not let him go under 50 too, correct? I just want to be sure that giving him the MC and HC foods when he's in the 50s/60s is ok. I ask because today he clearly wants to go below 50, but I am giving him the HC / MC mixture. This means he will not earn a reduction - which is better, reduction at under 50, or trying my best to keep him afloat and not in the lagoon? I hope this makes sense.

3. Mandy & Rex (GA)

Mandy & Rex (GA) Well-Known Member

If the reduction is warranted, the cat will let you know! We try to keep them above 50 so we can keep giving the dose as it is obviously a good dose if it's getting them into dark greens.

4. Amanda & Shmee

Ok great thank you. I just wanted to be sure I understood it correctly. Since he has tried to go under 50 twice, I just didn't want to be giving him too much insulin but I will keep doing what I'm doing.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Thank goodness for no IAA! Lately Shmee hasn't looked like an IAA kitty with all that lovely green. :D

Generally a kitty will tell you if they really want a reduction. However, it it's a higher dose (and therefore depot) cat and you are having to work hard to keep him up, I might think about a reduction. There were times Neko got to low 50's and I could tell she wanted a reducie, so I gave it to her. You don't want a larger depot to get ahead of you. However, you were only giving 1/2 tsp of HC, which isn't a lot. Your call. If you keep the dose, put a pot of coffee on for tonight.

6. Amanda & Shmee

First of all, let me just say that your tribute page and video were beautiful. I don't know why I have not clicked on it before. I cried and I cannot imagine the day this will happen to all of us. It pains me to think about but I cannot dwell on that I know. The song and the story behind was so nice. Loved all the photos from the video. My Shmee is cuddly too and does not like when I cry. You two were lucky to have each other. :bighug:
    @Mandy & Rex I just watched your OTJ party video too, he was so cute and cuddly with his siblings :)

Ok deep breath! [[wipes tears]] Anyway!
    Thanks for the high dose advice Wendy, I saw this post after I shot him and he is already going down, so yeah I think we are in for a long night again haha :D I think I would have kept him on 6.5 tonight anyway though to see how he did. I will probably be reducing him tomorrow but we will see how he does tonight.

Wendy&Neko and Bronx's dad (GA) like this.
  7. Amanda & Shmee

+1 surprised me at 101, it looked like he was going to start heading down again. So maybe it won't be that bad after all tonight, we shall see.

8. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Love the photos and yay for IAA negative!!!

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  9. Amanda & Shmee

Ok surprised me again, back at the lagoon! Get away from those sharks Shmee!

His next usual 1/2 can meal would be at +3, so I just started to give him a little bit of LC at a time with the HC, I didn't want him to get too full since I will probably keep having to give him HC.

PM +2.5 = 50, gave 2 tsp of HC gravy before 1/4 can of LC.
    +20 mins (+3ish) = 49. Gave another 2 tsp of HC gravy with a little LC.

10. Amanda & Shmee

+20 mins = 47. Gave another 2 tsp of HC gravy.
    +20 mins (+4ish) = 47. Gave another 3 tsp of HC gravy.

I think I will do .1 unit of honey soon if he isn't coming up.
    I have HC temptations treats too but I do not want to use them unless really necessary since it takes longer for dry food to get out of their system.
    What would you all do? Maybe I should just keep at it with the HC a few more times.

11. Amanda & Shmee

+20 mins = 66, gave another 1 tsp HC gravy.

12. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness! I think Shmee must like sharks more than I do! I'm not completely sure what to do, but HC gravy at the very least does not sound like a bad idea. I think I would try to stay away from the Temptations as long as you can, but obviously I am not even close to being an expert in steering. Hugs Amanda! :bighug:

And PS - I absolutely LOVE those pictures! :)

13. Amanda & Shmee

Thank you Amanda! :bighug: He is so handsome I can't stand it :kiss: haha!
    Whenever he gets low I have the "how to handle low numbers" sticky in front of me and just keep re-reading it. Even though I know basically all it says is keep re-testing and giving 1-2 tsps. of HC food until he stays above 50, it makes me feel better to have it in front of me to re-assure me that he should be ok as long as I just keep sticking with the HC. It is scary though so I asked just to be sure. I feel like if he went under.... 40 I would probably get out the honey. But even though the HC takes a little time it seems to have been working pretty good so far, at least for him.

Amanda and a Loudogg likes this.
  14. Amanda & Shmee

I think I am going to try and hit the hay for a few hours.

Vines to all that need them tonight, I will be thinking of you @CassAndGordy , I hope Gordy feels better tomorrow and is able to eat and come home.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  15. Amanda & Shmee

Was actually still up at +6.5 so I tested him and he was back down to 58. Gave him 3 tsp HC gravy. +20 mins = 61, gave 3 more tsp of HC gravy, +40 mins = 89. (Will update the SS tomorrow)

Question - I am nervous to shoot him tomorrow. I know he needs a reduction but I’m thinking this depot is going to make him go low again. Which I am fine with if that’s what’s best? If he’s back up to a safe shooting number at AMPS, should I stick with 6 tomorrow morning? I was thinking possibly even lower? But I don’t want to reduce him too low and screw anything up. I want to do what is best for him. Thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.