07/08 Shmee AMPS 162, +8 66, PMPS 141, acro talk

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amanda & Shmee, Jul 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Previous condo

Hi everyone,
    I hope everyone in the US had a great holiday weekend (and Canadians a happy Canada Day!). I had a full weekend including a wedding shower for my cousin who I have always been pretty close with since we are the same age. I love when my family gets together, it was a great time.

Shmee has been doing well on 5.5U so far. I accidentally shot late Friday morning, and didn't wake up for my middle of the night test I wanted to get last night :banghead:. I keep thinking that even though his numbers are good, he still has the harmful growth hormones being released... :( I thought long about the SRT treatment option and as of right now I have decided I want to try the cabergoline. Shmee gets terrified at the vet and in the car (a few times he has started drooling, and he meows VERY loud). I just don't think embarking on a plane ride to Washington is the best for us right now. I am really scared that he would not do well at all and have a heart attack or something. I can't imagine keeping him on the floor in front of me on a plane ride, I think he would be so scared and freaking out. Plus it is just a lot of money :( I wish it wasn't so much. I have not yet emailed my vet because I have been pretty busy the last few days, and I want to be sure I have all the information I need because my gut feeling is I really do not see my vet letting us try this experimental drug. In the same email though, I also plan on asking for an internal medicine recommendation, so if she doesn't want to write the script I will move onto the next vet. I also want to do my own research for an IM around here because she has mentioned consulting with an IM colleague about the IAA test in the past and they thought there was no point to doing it. So.. I would prefer to find my own IM but to my understanding I will need a referral so we will see how this all goes.

Vines to all those in need of them, you all have been such a huge help :bighug::bighug::bighug:

@Wendy&Neko can you please provide the study where Cabergoline was used on six cats (is this the one from RVC?)? I could have sworn I had it saved but I only have the Argentina study with three cats. @Olive & Paula would like it as well so I will tag her.
    Also, I was going through and re-reading my last few condos and I see that you said;
    Can you please give me the contact information for the RVC veterinarian? I would love to talk to them about what they think if we start Cabergoline, so I can give this information to my vet. And the contact from MJW, or any way to confirm the information about the octreotide so I can research it and give the info to my vet as well?

Reply from last condo:
    @Marje and Gracie no problem! His labs are on his SS, if you wouldn't mind looking that would be great. I have gotten some great advice saying it looked good overall, but maybe look into lower phosphorus food in the future. If you wanted to take a look I won't turn the offer down :)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I’ll do that for you this early evening. Getting ready to make cat fud now :rolleyes:

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I couldn't find the one on 6 cats either. I sent what I did have off to one vet, so will see what happens. Have to send to their one yet.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Shmee's looking great at this dose!

Here is the link to the post by MJW on octreotide with cabergoline.

Email for RVC diabetes remission clinic: fdrc@rvc.ac.uk

The study on six cats was by RVC, sorry, got that mixed up. Here is the link to a post about it.

Informal study on FDMB:
    Marvin - went OTJ
    Gizmo - went OTJ
    Tiffany - went OTJ
    Maverick - dose reduced
    Yum - dose reduced significantly but passed from heart condition
    Beenie - dose reduced, also passed from other health issues
    Bronx - only on it a short while before stopping for SRT, dose reduced during that time
    Floyd - now close to 1/3 of the dose since starting cabergoline
    Amethyst - not much response
    Malachai - maybe not much response but hard to tell due to lack of testing, bean stopped it and did SRT
    Chino - not much response

That's just what I remember. I'm not formally keeping track, but maybe I should.

5. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I couldn't find the one on 6 cats either. I sent what I did have off to one vet, so will see what happens. Have to send to the other yet.

6. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.