07/12/19 Willow ..Dosing help/thanks :)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by nslade001, Jul 12, 2019.

1. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

Last post

Hi all, hope you're all doing well :)

Willow has been on an odd trend lately. I reduced her dose on the 8th because it was 20 cycles of mostly green, but I was hesitant to do it because her numbers seemed to be very slowly and slightly increasing...Anyway, I gave the reduction and she flew in the blues, so I increased back the next night.

However, now she's running all blues. I'd hoped it was NDW which she's never shown, but nope. So was going to increase tonight but..

Also took in a urine sample for U/A yesterday just in case, and it came up as (another) infection with lots of RBCs and plenty of bacteria. So starting baytril tonight. (Reason for suspecting a uti...she's peed over the LB a bit more than usual, and seems a bit more bleh, and not moving about as much; also pee was a teeny bit "off" smelling last ketone check(yes, I said I smell her urine. Sigh.)

My question is, she's had UTIs before, with excruciatingly painful spasms at one point, and they've *never* driven up her numbers... So I think this is a BG increase unrelated to the UTI, and I should increase insulin. But I'm uncertain because DH understood that we should treat the UTI first in case that causes a drop in her numbers. We don't want her dropping quickly.

Thoughts, please?

Hope all your kitties surf safely, with love, Nikki

2. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Not an expert with UTIs, but it is possible even if in past didn’t cause an increase, maybe it could. It’s does in a lot of cats. Usually antibiotics will start to show improvement in 24-48 hours and then you may have your answer. Also if you do two things at once (increase and treat infection), you won’t know which was causing it. Just a thought.

nslade001 likes this.
  3. nslade001

Hi Julie, thanks so much for replying :) with love, Nikki

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sorry about the infection. :bighug:I would increase now. We don’t “wait for the UTI to be treated first”, cause what if that is not the problem? Result could be glucose toxicity. Let her numbers tell you if the antibiotics are the answer.

5. nslade001

T
    Thanks Wendy. We did decide to increase (and finally dropped into the greens!) because I was worried about glucose toxicity. I think last time she hit some blues, I waited too long and ended up having to increase a few times before she came back to her usual numbers. The only good thing is when she runs a bit higher, she eats better lol.
    Thanks again, with love, Nikki

6. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

Hope the UTI clears up quickly! Yay for greens!

nslade001 likes this.
  7. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad you increased. I hope Willow gets over the UTI quickly. Sending prayers.

nslade001 likes this.