08/28/18 Squallaie AMPS 143

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Squalliesmom, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Yesterday

After two enemas at the vet's he came home yesterday and had a great big poo, and I thought that was the end of it. But he spent most of the evening going between LBs and straining again. He's still doing it this morning. And doing the butt scootch. He did eat some dinner last night, and he ate some breakfast this morning. He is back to eating wet food again.

I still have some left-over bupe. I've had it for about a month. Would it still be okay after sitting around in the syringes? I was thinking about giving him one of the doses to help him feel better.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

My vet said it will be okay but weaker. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Squallie is eating for you. I'd try the bupe. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  4. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd try the bupe, my vet gave me some in syringes and they had a 3 month good for time period.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  5. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

Lucy, wonder if the enemas aren’t causing him to still feel like he needs to go ? So glad to hear he is eating wet food :bighug: Give him extra hugs and scritches from me ❤️❤️❤️❤️

6. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

I think pain meds may cause constipation. You may want to see if that's a side effect of bupe.

7. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Glad he pooped! Glad he is eating for u:bighug: wonder what makes them scoot their butts across the floor, sammie does it too

Squalliesmom likes this.
  8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Scootin butts. Couple reason I can think of for that. 1) anal glands, 2) worms, 3) to get any that might be stuck or in fur, 4) I swear they use the carpet like we use toilet paper.

9. saltycat

saltycat Well-Known Member

Since Bupe is opiod based, at least in humans it contributes to constipation. I don't think gabapentin is an offlabel seizure medication I don't think it contributes as much to the constipation. Hope the boot scooting boogie slows down and he gets back to feeling better soon.

Are you using any miralax or other herbal stool softeners?

10. Beth 73

Lucy, do you have Rescue Remedy ? It’s what I use for calming ( myself and them ;)). If lactoulose causes a problem remember pumpkin, SEB and Natural Moves . These are my go-to Poop producers :bighug:

11. Squalliesmom

The vet just called to see how Squallie is doing, and we talked about putting him on prednisolone. I know it will play merry hell with his BG, but I'm not too worried about that at this point. He has to come off the Piroxicam for a while, ideally a month, to prevent ulcers, but we don't have that much time to try and shrink this thing, so he would start it on Thursday, most likely.

I would greatly appreciate any input anyone might have on this idea, as soon as possible, so I can make the decision of whether or not to try it. Thanks in advance.

12. Squalliesmom

I think you're dead on with #4, they use the carpet as their toilet paper!

Beth 73 likes this.
  13. Squalliesmom

Right now he's on Miralax, Lactulose, and Cisapride. I have SEB but haven't tried it because he wasn't eating wet food reliably, same issue with pumpkin. I don't want to syringe anything if I don't absolutely have to. A HV just recommended Fen-Cho to me, I may give it a try. Not familiar with Natural moves but will check it out.

I am not sure about the bupe and constipation. I've had some folks say it does, and some say it doesn't....Right now he seems content and not in any discomfort so I'm not going to give it at this point, anyway. No butt scooting for a couple of hours, no travelling from pan to pan, either. I can hear his tum rumble, so something's going on in there.

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  14. Beth 73

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Continuing prayers for your wisdom/direction and Squallies healing/comfort :bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  15. Shoeskitty-GA

Shoeskitty-GA Well-Known Member

I think the pred would be very beneficial at this point Lucy. It would reduce any inflammation in his colon and possibly shrink the mass also. At this point, it's definitely worth trying, IMO.
    added: and probably increase his appy as well. It does this in humans so why not cats, right?

You will be supported here whatever decision you make on this. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Reason for edit: Edited to add:
  16. Carol in Chicago

Carol in Chicago Member

Dear Lucy - I wish I knew more about the meds you are asking about but I don't have much to offer on that front. One point I wanted to make about pumpkin is that it works by adding bulk to the stool. At this point, given what you have said about the troubles Squallie is having, I don't think you want to add bulk, so I would avoid that and any other fiber or fiber product such as squash or psyllium husk (or if you do use anything that adds bulk - do so vary sparingly).

Sending prayers of healing and hope for you both!

17. Beth 73

I don’t know about Natural Moves for him then , Lucy . I have to mix it with pumpkin and syringe it down Elmo because he hated it ( bitter).... switched to twice daily pumpkin(2 teaspoons) and SEB twice a day ....civvies will eat pumpkin(but then again they’d eat cardboard :banghead:). But once again I have to warm it and syringe it down bull headed Elmo :rolleyes: Agree with what Carol just said about pumpkin unless maybe it was watered down... all a mute point if you can’t syringe and he won’t eat it .

18. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Lucy, Rusty had the pred shot (once a month for several months) and I think it helped him to feel better. His problem at the time was sinus congestion, however, not constipation. It certainly took down the inflammation and the difference at first was miraculous (less so as we went on). The rise in bgs of course happened. But that was controlled by a bit more insulin. His diabetes regulation suffered. But that was a small price to pay for feeling better.

We used lactulose (mixed into FF Tender Turkey Kitten food) after the vet removed most of a tumor that apparently grew quickly and was situated in his anus and may have been partially blocking it. He recovered quickly from the surgery. Lactulose was supposed to soften his stools so that the surgical site could heal, but I don't think it softened them very much. In any event, the only problem with his stools after the surgery was that they came out in pieces after he left the litterbox (after the main stool had been deposited in the litterbox).

"Scooting" is usually because the anal glands need to be "expressed". Let the vet (or the tech) do it!!!

Sending more vines for Deputy Squallie.

19. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

20. Squalliesmom

Squallie's vet is talking about a pill, I guess a daily dose. Kind of a last ditch effort to shrink this mass. Says we'll see results in about a week, IF it works. He's not convinced it will work but offered it as an option, to hopefully gain Squallie some more time. 'Cause right now we are looking at a very short time. :(

21. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about Squallie lately. I am happy to hear he is eating for you.

I hope he continues to do so, and many hugs your way. :bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  22. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug: We're here for you, Lucy

23. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

24. Squalliesmom

I am starting to get concerned that I have not seen him pee since he got home from the vet yesterday. Can anybody tell me what symptoms I should be looking for if he has a blockage or something of that sort going on?

25. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Lucy, what are you doing here? :rolleyes: We're good. :)

Sharon14 and Squalliesmom like this.
  26. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Dickson. :bighug:

27. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

You can dose around the prednisolone and it may help him with discomfort especially if it means keeping the mass at bay or maybe shrink it a bit.

I used it as a Hail Mary for one of my dogs with cancer. It did shrink the cancer in about 3 days but it was not a cure. I wont tell you the sad details, but it did give me a few days to figure things out.

I would watch to see if Squallie becomes bloated, uncomfortable to the point of walking and not resting. If it is a rather large mass, I am sure he feels the "pressure" of it in his belly.

I am so sorry Lucy...my heart is just breaking for you and your stripped little man right now. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Vines for clarity and peace.

28. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Tracey. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

29. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

You are seeing it with the frequent LB visits, straining. Hard to say if that is front end or back end "discomfort".

Can you isolate him with a LB for an hour or so and see if he pees?

:bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  30. Squalliesmom

He's been isolate ever since he came home from the vet yesterday afternoon. Unless he's peeing somewhere besides the litter box, I'm not seeing any evidence of it. He hasn't been in the boxes straining since this morning, though. When should I pull the panic switch?

31. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I agree with Tracey - give the prednisolone if he needs it, and dose around it. I got mine compounded chicken flavour. Yummy pred treats. The big online pharmacies can do that if you are tired of pilling.

For pee, since my civvie had idiopathic cystitis, I was shown how to feel for the bladder size. It's on the right side, just beside his spine, underneath and a bit up from the tail. You should be able to feel a balloon squishy thing there. It's oval, lengthwise along the spine. I would reach under the tail from the back then off to the right a bit. You should be able to feel if it's distended. Maybe there's a video somewhere out there showing you where it is.

Signs of blockage include frequent visits to the LB, maybe if lucky small dime sized pee bits, licking the "nether" regions. It's also really painful.

Sending vines. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

32. Beth 73

Lucy, how is he otherwise ? Eating ? Behavior ? Could he be a bit dehydrated ? :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  33. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Lactulose and miralax both pull fluid into the bowel. I know you add water to his meals, but are you giving fluids? Maybe Beth is onto something with mild dehydration?

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  34. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Yes, Bube can constipate.

35. Squalliesmom

Thanks, Wendy. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

He isn't in pain, and no licking. He hasn't been to the LB in hours. His tum does look and feel distended, to me. I haven't had a chance to try to specifically feel for his bladder, he doesn't want me "messing" with his tum and for the moment, I'm letting him have his way. His bladder is always larger than most cats', freaks my vet out. What would be distended in any other cat is normal for Squallie, so makes it really hard to tell.

I really appreciate the heads-up on the prednisolone. I'm just concerned that he won't have been off the piroxicam long enough and will get ulcers; but I'm willing to risk it if it may shrink that tumor.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  36. Bobbie And Bubba

It really constipates Bubba!

Squalliesmom likes this.
  37. Bobbie And Bubba

Lots of vines and prayers and Reiki going out to Squallie Bear and to Momma Bear! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  38. Squalliesmom

He ate today, pretty well, actually. Doesn't seem dehydrated (got fluids at the vet yesterday). After prowling the LBs this morning, he has been pretty chilled out, doesn't seem uncomfortable. Maybe a little less active, but he's never real active, so hard to say. Not very purry - I only got one purr out of him today, about 20 minutes ago.

Beth 73 and PussCatPrince - GA like this.
  39. Squalliesmom

I didn't give it, he settled down and didn't seem to be in pain. I will ask his vet for another pain med, if he needs it. We don't need anything that might constipate him!

Bobbie And Bubba and Beth 73 like this.
  40. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

I'd be another for giving the pred a go .

You need hugs & please give The Stripey Man a million teeny kisses from me .

Squalliesmom likes this.
  41. Bobbie And Bubba

Lucy, if you send me your address in a PM, I will send you some of the Natural Moves capsules if you think Squallie will eat his food with it mixed it. This way, you can try it out before committing to buying some.

My boys detect it in the first AM meal and their first PM meal so I sometimes have to crush a few YA drys on top or sprinkle some florti flora to get them to eat that meal with it the Natual Moves in it. I also give miralax but I have found that giving 1/4 of the capsule ( which is more like a maintenance dose) in the food twice a day keeps them moving better.

42. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

FWIW, I'd also try the pred...

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

43. Beth 73

Lucy, you are amazing :bighug:❤️:bighug:❤️ No one could love Squallie more or better...he knows he is loved and that you are giving him the best of care and watchfulness . We are all with you both , with love , vines, thoughts and prayers constantly ...my prayer is that all of it surrounds and holds you both . :bighug:❤️

44. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I know it's not easy, but try to focus on today and not think about what may happen and when. Make the most of each day you have with Squallie and give him lots of loving. You're doing your best for him and he knows that. Sending prayers for you and Squallie. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

45. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Rusty had the pred shot because it was impossible to give him anything by mouth. The shot does begin to wear off, but it's only supposed to be given once in a 30-day period.

Sending lots of vines and hugs and scritches this evening.

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

46. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I would go for the pred. If it works an makes him feel better that's all good. So you adjust insulin it's not the worst thing. Your doing what's best for Squallie.

47. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I agree with Wendy and Jill. Doses can be adjusted.

Many prayers and vines for Squallie.

BTW, if he has a urinary tract blockage, he will try and pee. It’s not that he won’t even try....if he had to go, he will try but if there’s a blockage, he will strain and strain.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  48. Beth 73

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:❤️❤️❤️

Squalliesmom likes this.
  49. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

Pred worked for Porto as well, we had to stop because of diabetes diagnostic but it worked marvels for him. I hope it does the same for Squallaie! Porto also has a stone in his baldder and that caused cystitis a couple of times, it was hard for him to urinate. He was going to the litter box, back and forth, trying to pee. I assume it is the same with a blockage, he would become restless not being able to empty the bladder.
    Sending lots of healing vines and hugs, I hope he is feeling better now that his tummy has relief from constipation! :bighug:

Squalliesmom likes this.
  50. Jill & Jade

Jill & Jade Well-Known Member

:bighug: thinking of you and Squallie.....

Squalliesmom likes this.
  51. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

Lucy,
    You and Squallie are in my thoughts and in my prayers... have been for days. The power of prayer is strong and real.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

52. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

((Lucy)) I don't have any experience with pred and the mass Squallie has or the risks associated. However after Doodles was dx with HCM/CHF and on a high dose of meds for a year we believe also developed asthma which was causing him to "choke"...not breath. The only treatment was to add pred BUT because of the risks of giving pred to a cat with CHF were so great they wouldn't prescribe it. There was nothing more we could do to keep my boy comfortable and the end result was inevitable....he was likely going to choke and gasp for air in the end which would be a horrible way for him to go. I had to make myself listen to Doodles as there was nothing more we could do.

You know Squallie and what ever you decide is the right thing. Sending loads of thoughts and prayers for you and your sweet boy :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: