? 09/02 Shmee AMPS 149, +4.5 49 (my fault), +5.5 70, +6.5 = 73 - poop problems?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amanda & Shmee, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Previous condo
    Acro thread

Hi everyone,
    Shmee had .5U this morning. I set an alarm for his +3 test and meal, but I do not know what I did. I must have turned off the alarm. I felt so terrible, he is so fragile right now and he got down to 49 at +4.5. He is still VERY hungry, so I let him eat 3/4 can and gave him HC gravy on top of that.

I found diarrhea yesterday and more this morning, so I told Dr. McCue and he said there are a lot of reasons he could have diarrhea but he thinks its probably the antibiotics so he recommended Metamucil for fiber. He said since I feed him five times a day 1/4 teaspoon per meal would be ok. I know there are some poop problem kitties here - curious what you give them for fiber and how much? I should be going out soon to get some Metamucil.

He has been a little nasal-y too... which is scary because the doctor said to look out for nasal discharge or sneezing because that could mean the throat stitches could open up. Its not really bad, so I will keep an eye and ear out. I also just texted the doctor about it.

Sending healing vines to @John Irene and TITAN :bighug:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    JeffJ and Ana & Frosty (GA) like this.
  2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Sending Shmee tons of vines.

I use Saccharomyces boulardi for soft poo or diarrhea. It’s a probiotic and it works so nicely without all that fiber that can then potentially cause constipation if there isn’t enough liquid intake.

You can generally buy Florastor at Walmart pretty easily and it should help. I like Renew Life S. boulardi 6b but I have to order it.

For emergency stop, you can give 1/3 cap every two hours. I just mix it in baby food/water and syringe it just to be sure it all goes in. Once the diarrhea has stopped and you are getting soft poo but maybe not formed, you can go to 1/2 cap bid and then when it gets a lot better, 1/4 cap bid.

Slippery Elm Bark powder syrup might help, too, but it takes longer.

3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

4. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Does this work the same way as s. Boulardi?

Amanda & Shmee likes this.
  5. Amanda & Shmee

Amanda & Shmee Well-Known Member

Thank you! I could not find a no flavor version of the Metamucil so I got a generic that just says "clear fiber" with no taste and no sugar. The only ingredient is Dextrin. I added Saccharomyces boulardi to my Amazon cart. Since I just bought the $14 bottle of the fiber - can I give both if I buy this probiotic, or would that be too much?

6. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Florastor is just the brand name but it is S. boulardi.

I’d be careful because the S. boulardi should stop the diarrhea. If you overdid it, you could be into a constipation situation.

7. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Vines for a quick recovery and no complications.

8. Manu & Porto

Manu & Porto Member

If it is fiber you need, maybe try pumpkin or slippery elm. I add pumpkin to Portos food, we dont have canned here so I boil and mash it. He receives everyday, to help with poo as it seems he needs more fibers. I give him little, as I am still introducing, but there are people giving up to a table spoon of pumpkin, a day. I only add 1/4 of teaspoon to two, maybe three meals a day.
    I hope he starts feeling better, sending a lot of healing vines to you two! :bighug:

9. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

Sending healing vines and :bighug::bighug::bighug: hope he feels better soon

Jill & Jade and Amanda & Shmee like this.
  10. Jill & Jade

Jill & Jade Well-Known Member

Sending some as well!!!

11. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I read another thread in the last few months. The Florastor brand is good, but one of the ingredients may be bitter. So if you have issues, you may want to find an alternative.

I hope the diahhrea has cleared. Little Dude gets it too - and he can clear out a room !:eek: