1/11 Hogan PMPS 196, +2 61, +2.5 65, +3 78, +4 60, +4.5 82, +5 65, +5.5 70, +6 84, +7 86

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Hogan, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Hogan

Hogan Member

Yesterday's Post

So Hogan survived his terrifying vet visit where he didn't even have to get out of his cage, and is back to normal.

I don't know how much "fasting" the AMPS was. I was charging my phone so I didn't hear the alarm for food bowl removal. I didn't hear him go eat though, but it also depends how soundly I'm asleep. But I am pretty sure he ate a tiny piece of kibble that had fallen on the floor.

Barbara & Uncle (GA) likes this.
  2. Bear & Lora

Bear & Lora Well-Known Member

Wow! Hogan's BG numbers are excellent. He definitely fits in the higher % for diet controlled remission.

My Bear came to the starting line late, (Home Testing/ wet food transition) and after he had DKA he developed neuropathy in his back and front legs which shows that he was having uncontrolled diabetes for a long period of time.

I still have some hope for diet controlled remission later down the line.

Linda/MrWorf'sMom's cat Menace achieved remission after three years and Menace had IAA.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It definitely looks like someone turned on the light switch on Hogan’s spreadsheet. :cool:

@Bear & Lora we just had an OTJ party for Walter here, three years on insulin and he finally made it. Menace had IAA but worst of all was that she was a kibblehead. And we have no low carb kibble in Canada. Took forever but Linda finally won that battle.

4. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Hogan is looking so good! :D

I think Eliz and Bertie hold the record for longest time to remission at 11 years.

Menace did eventually give in and eat wet food about 1 1/2 years before her remission but it was her decision....not mine. I think my sleeping in and not getting up despite Menace yowling at the top of her lungs finally convinced her to try the wet food that was sitting out for her brothers. I had all but given up trying to transition her after a six year battle that started when she was a kitten, long before her diagnosis. :woot:

Love the term "kibblehead"! :D

Mandy & Rex (GA) and Bear & Lora like this.
  5. Hogan

Hogan Member

I'm definitely pretty lucky so far, but I know how fast that can change. I've been poring over everyone's spreadsheets and it's very inspiring when a cat makes it to OTJ after a long journey.

He's a little high at his +9 (no scary vet today to blame, maybe the vacuum cleaner!). I was wondering if I may have reduced too fast? I know I asked about the 90 reduction threshhold in terms of human vs. pet meter yesterday and was told it's 90 for both. But I was reading the SLGS sticky and it said the use of pet meters is discouraged since the reference numbers are for human meters.

And I know the most important rule is "Know thy cat". Technically, I should have reduced again today after last night, but I was thinking I should hold the current dose a bit and see where he is. I work from home, so I can keep a close eye on him.

Hogan is definitely a "kibblehead"! My other cats were Fancy Feast-a-holics, but no matter how hungry we was, he just didn't consider it "food".

6. Bear & Lora

Rofl! I think my cat's nightmares are about vacuum cleaners. All I have to do is move the vacuum to unwrap the cord and they run, like the hounds of hell are at their heels, to the back bedrooms. I am sure it raises their BG numbers. That is my excuse for not vacuuming the floors often. ;)

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  7. Bear & Lora

8. Hogan

Hogan Member

Oh sorry, I can't cook dinner tonight, the Cuisinart scares the cat, and we don't want his BG numbers to go up, do we? I could get a lot of mileage of it! :D

Bear & Lora and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  9. MrWorfMen's Mom

My motto when the vacuum cleaner (or Cuisinart) becomes an issue for the cats.........
    180767-Instead-Of-Cleaning.jpg

10. Bear & Lora

Ha,Ha, Ha, you are sooo funny! I think we should have pizza tonight, I've noticed the car exhaust is a bit loud and disturbs the cats, so I think I will skip going to the grocery store until Bear's BG numbers are blue or green.

11. MrWorfMen's Mom

This a frequent question that comes up and while 90 is used for both meters, it does lessen the "safety cushion" allotted by SLGS for pet meter users.
    In Hogan's case today, I think it was the right decision to hold the dose as two reductions back to back are often times less likely to hold. I'd let him hit 90 again before reducing again.
    If Hogan keeps up with the reductions, you will likely need to move the reduction point down a bit at a time anyways to get all the way to the proverbial finish line.

Bear & Lora likes this.
  12. Hogan

Hogan Member

Thanks so much! I will do that.

13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

SLGS was developed here, before people used pet meters to the extent they are used now. We have a LOT of data that backs the SLGS method with human meters. Not so much with pet meters. And there is no way to convert numbers from one to the other. Having said that, the last year or so we've had several people use pet meters with SLGS, so the data is growing.

Since last night was just the first cycle at 1.0 unit, it was likely the 1.25 unit depot influencing the numbers. I am glad you held the dose.

Bear & Lora likes this.
  14. Hogan

Hogan Member

I just realized I was thinking about this in reverse! So forget everything I said, I had it in my head that 90 was higher on pet meter than on a human meter, I have no idea why. I'd rather have less of a cushion based on everything I've read - if he is indeed heading for remission, then the longer I can keep him on insulin, the better for the long term. I'm not overly worried about him going too low, since I'm lucky that at least for now until the end of March, I can be with him all of the time.

15. Hogan

Hogan Member

PMPS 196. Can't blame that one on the vacuum cleaner!;)

Bear & Lora likes this.
  16. Hogan

Hogan Member

I see some bouncing in our future! I gave him 2 HC treats to slow him down and I'll recheck in 30 minutes.

17. MrWorfMen's Mom

Wow that's quite the drop for +2. That boy is on a mission!:D

18. Hogan

Hogan Member

He went up a little bit, but then back down to 60 at +4. I'll give him two more HC treats, I think? Or is that too much too soon? Should I space out the HC treats a bit more?

19. Bear & Lora

I hope Hogan's bounce isn't like Bear's Wednesday Bounce. His BG went up over 400 more in two hours. Arg....

20. MrWorfMen's Mom

Given it's the middle of the night for you, I'd give him the high carb treats as he is just now approaching a normal nadir time and 60 is too low on your AT meter. You're going to be monitoring for awhile longer yet. You could also give him some high carb canned food or if you don't have high carb, put a 1/2 tsp of honey or karo syrup into low carb food.

21. Hogan

Hogan Member

Thanks, I gave him two more, to his absolute delight. He won't eat any canned food yet. I do have karo if needed, but usually the HC treats bring him up a decent amount. I'll test again at +4.5.

22. Hogan

Hogan Member

That is crazy! Every time I think things are somewhat stabilizing, he does the complete opposite of what I'm expecting. It definitely keeps you on your toes!

Bear & Lora likes this.
  23. MrWorfMen's Mom

I didn't read the "Primal Turkey" all the way to "frozen raw" and was thinking that was canned. I should have clued in after all the kibblehead discussions today! My bad!:oops:

24. Hogan

Hogan Member

I need to update my signature, as I've given up on the canned for now. I'll definitely return to trying soon though. I have made a small amount of progress, so I think I will eventually convert him, but I think it will take a pretty long time to get him 100% off kibble.

25. MrWorfMen's Mom

You probably need a giggle about now. I found out the hard way that my extra sweet girl liked sugar donuts so my low BG rescue remedy while she was a "kibblehead" was sugar donuts. Kept them in the freezer and if she seemed to be dropping during a cycle, I'd pull one out to thaw just in case I needed it. If I didn't need it, I had a snack to munch on. :D

26. Hogan

Hogan Member

Hah, another "silver lining" to FD! Donuts, yum! "Not only can I not use the vacuum cleaner lest I scare the cat into high BG numbers, I also need to keep donuts on hand at all times in case of emergencies. And no, you cannot eat them, they are exclusively for the cat."

27. MrWorfMen's Mom

It's wonderful to see Hogan surfing along so nicely but would be nice if he'd do it during the day. Kits! :cat::rolleyes: No rest for you tonight. How are you doing? I'm guessing it's around MN where you are. Hopefully he'll come up a bit and stay up for you very soon. :)

28. Hogan

Hogan Member

Yes, I'm on EST, so just after midnight. Fingers crossed for the +6. If it's decent, then I'll set the alarm for the +7, because I am definitely starting to get sleeeepy.

29. MrWorfMen's Mom

Looks like he's finally rising a bit. Hope he lets you hit the sack soon. I'm heading to bed myself now so sweet dreams.

30. Hogan

Hogan Member

Thanks for checking on us!