1/12/18 - AMPS 334 (!) I feel like we're backing up!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sue and Luci, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Why are her numbers so high on the last two BG tests? Why does it seem like we're going in reverse? Why hasn't she peed on the plastic pebbles all night? She's eating some FF broth right now - could not interest her in beef broth (from the package) -warmed it up and put it in her dish - snubbed - added one of her freeze dried chicken treats to it - she licked that about 3 times - snubbed. I wish she could tell me what's going on. I'm worried sick that it's ketoacidosis...since that was the discussion yesterday...today I'm waiting for pee.

2. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Sending pee catching vines:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Try not to worry she may come down into yellow and blue

Sue and Luci likes this.
  3. Sue and Luci

Luci finally peed on the pellets - Ketones NEG this morning! I was worried sick since she hadn't peed all night! 3+ BG is coming down. Whew...
    Question: Are her ears getting scars from all the lancet stabs? Seems like it's getting harder and harder to get that drop of blood. We know she's getting a good poke...

4. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Yay no ketones and lowering BG! I'll say that Maggie does have, I'm not sure what to call them, "callouses" on both ear tips. I've always had a hard time getting blood, but it sometimes helps to use a sock filled with rice and warmed in the microwave. Do the wrist test to make sure the sock isn't too hot, then hold on cat's ears for a while, maybe stroking from the base to the top to encourage blood flow. You could also try using a larger gauge lancet. The smaller the number the larger the gauge. Then you might have to watch out for the opposite problem of too much blood!

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  5. Sue and Luci

Thanks for the tips...and the reassurances. Yes, we use the sock with rice - have done that from the beginning. That method was the ONLY way to get the poke without sticking myself! :)
    I've found that warming it for 13 seconds in my microwave is just right...just barely warm enough to be pleasant...and I rub my fingers out toward the edge of her ears...we finally do get a blood ball..and then some...dabbing with a kleenex and a bit of Neosporin usually gets the bleeding under control in seconds...but she has been known to fling a few drops around when she's eating her treat.

Now she's PLAYING with her 'bird' toy. She actually just walked by my chair hauling it - and the string/stick apparatus...time to play!

Myagi (GA) and Heidi likes this.
  6. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

If my daughter has watched Asia for awhile, I notice a hard knot almost, I don’t know if it’s her technique or what, she uses the 4 setting on the lancet, I use the 2 setting, but I only let her test on one ear so I can use the other ear until that goes away. I try to use one ear for a day or two and then switch, and I move around on the tip, left, middle right. No serious keeping track or anything, I just try to remember to change it up. I gave her those knots and some bruises in the beginning and it doesn’t happen anymore when I’m testing her. I also have a cloth that I press the blood drop area when I’m done, that seems to help too.

ETA: I don’t use the rice sock, I use a washcloth folded into 4 and that provides enough padding that I don’t poke myself, plus I can apply pressure with it after. I have a stack of them just for her and use one for the whole day and then grab a new one.

7. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad she's playing! How cute to bring you the toy! :D
    I free-hand the lancet, so I must be doing something wrong to get the knots. IDK. I use a cotton round to protect myself and to hold pressure on the wound. Occasionally, Maggie chooses to fling excess blood in my face... :eek:

8. Stacy & Asia

I wish I could pinpoint exactly what causes it, but I just don’t know for sure. I can give you all the info I know though, because I used to give them to her and no longer do. My daughter can’t get blood on less that 4 setting, if I did a 4 setting, I’d have enough blood for a days worth of tests! I did freehand for a bit, but if she decided to move, it would rip at her ear, the lancing device is much quicker coming back out than my hands will ever be (she can’t hear, so the click noise doesn’t phase her).

I have the TRUEdraw lancing device, really inexpensive, like under $3 on ADW. 28 gauge lancets. The fancy freestyle lancing device I had before had ridges on the tip that I think hurt her, the TRUEdraw is nice and flat and smooth at the tip. I put it on 2, put her ear on the washcloth and push the device firmly on her ear where I want it before pressing the button. Sometimes I have to gently press both sides around the drop if I don’t get enough blood, usually I do. Then I take the washcloth and press it firmly on both sides of her ear for a few seconds (usually the 7 seconds it takes for my meter to read the blood. That’s what I do, I don’t put salve or anything anymore, it isn’t needed. I don’t know what my daughter does other than she uses a 4 setting, sometimes there is a crust on Asia’s ear after she monitors, dried blood (black ears, hard to tell)? Maybe she doesn’t hold the cloth as firmly to stop the blood after?

I have many a head shake and flung blood on my face. Ew!

Alicia & Maggie (GA) likes this.
  9. Sue and Luci

I may try the folded washcloths - we have a good supply! Is it wet or dry? I'll try warming it in the microwave...if that doesn't work, I'll have the rice in the sock ready - but a washcloth for pressing her afterwards might be a good idea! Sure going through a lot of kleenex. I tried the little facial pads...they seemed to be the wrong size...I could use those up I suppose.

I'm was so glad to see her playing for a bit! Here's her 30 seconds of fun!

And as usual the response from her vet today: "Still really high" ... does anyone know on which day after dosing has begun should I see a decline in her numbers?

10. cmb

cmb Member

We're testing in Archie's paws - it's a lot easier to stomach for us and him - the drops of blood are on the smaller side and pool better because no fur. But then also - he doesn't mind being hold like a baby, not sure if every cat likes that.

11. SMM

SMM Member

I have the little 'knots' on Martini's ears too. I hope I'm doing it right, she doesn't seem to mind (most times). If you rub the 'knots' I find they start relaxing a bit.
    I am no expert, but you just may be getting good and even gooder ;) numbers in the evenings but without testing one cannot tell. The dose may also be a bit low but again without knowing how low kitty is going it's hard to say. These numbers could be a lot of bounces from lows.
    Hopefully an expert will chime in soon!

12. Stacy & Asia

I just use them dry, I warm her ears up with my hands if it’s needed, but I have warm hands and our apt is constantly almost tropical temperatures because of radiators so ymmv. I started out with tissues, that got out of hand quickly, wash clothes much more economical, I got 24 basic white ones on amazon for very cheap. Their ears also learn to bleed better, I know that sounds weird, but it’s true. After a short time it gets much easier.

13. Sue and Luci

Yes, I noticed the first few pokes we did - it was really hard to get that little droplet to show up. So I switched to 28 Gauge lancets...sometimes there's a little 'pool' in her fur...but not enough to get it on the meter...The last poke went pretty well, tried the washcloth and have it ready for the next two pokes - one at 5 and one preshot...then we'll toss that one in the laundry because I'm exhausted.

I found a bunch of washcloths at Walmart for a few dollars - very low end cloths, nothing fancy...but they'll do nicely! Thanks for that tip :)

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  14. Sue and Luci

Sounds like an idea - but no way Luci is going to be held 'like a baby' - we tried that once...she was not a happy camper...came out swinging!

15. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Unfortunately, with many of our cats, it's the night, not the day when they chose to show their lower numbers. Which could have happened and as a result you are seeing a bounce now.

I used an old film canister container, some use pill bottles, filled with warm water, as the heating device. Neko would come running when she heard me running the hot water. You might find a small dot of vaseline on the ears before the poke will help the blood well up. Here is a list of shooting and testing tips that might have something for you. It's a link in the post Where Can I Find? that has links to all sorts of useful posts.

Sue and Luci and Kathy and TiTi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.