1/12 Alley AMBG 97 - Not eating

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Dan & Alley, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan & Alley

Dan & Alley Member

Still looking good on BG but not all is well.

Alley's appetite is weak the past few days. First it was her leaving maybe 20% of her food uneaten, then 40%, then half. This morning, she turned down her bowl entirely. She's behaving normally enough, she's just not very interested in food, which leads me to ask, "Who are you and what have you done with my cat?".

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Alley's appy picks back up and it's nothing serious. Have you seen these tips on getting a cat to eat?

Do you have any parmesan cheese? If you maybe sprinkle a little of that on her food, she will perhaps eat? usually ondansetron is better for nausea than cerenia but it doesn't hurt to give her the cerenia....it can help.

Can you finger feed her....either see if she will lick food off your finger or will she let you dab some on the front of her tongue or on the roof of her mouth? Just be careful that it's only a small amount and that you don't get it down her throat.

Here's some info Jill often posts when a kitty won't eat:Here are some things you can do do entice your cat to eat:

-sometimes in order to get a cat to eat you even have to resort to dry it is more important that they eat. there are a couple low carb / grain free brands -- EVO and wellness core.

-making a buffet to give him choices
    - heating food

sprinkle food with :
    - forta flora -- a probiotic you can get at vets or online. is very smelly and cats love the taste of it.
    - parm. cheese
    - smashed crumbles of dry food
    - Purebites Duck Liver -- crushed and put on as a topper.
    - bonito tuna flakes
    - halo chicken treats -- crumble into dust over food
    - poor a little water from tuna in water over food ( I use low sodium/no sodium added as other kinds in water has veg. broth in it and I assume that means onions, which are toxic to cats-- check labels)
    -powdered oregano. yep sounds weird . but some cats like it and it will entice them to eat.

other ideas of foods to offer your kitty to stim appy:
    - trader joe tuna for cats
    -baby food -- beechnut turkey and broth or chicken and broth. they have no onions or other additives. some babyfoods have onions . please read labels if you can't find beechnut.
    - kentucky fried chicken
    - deli turkey /chicken
    - plain cooked ( boiled or baked ) chicken breast
    -canned chicken for people (watch the label that their are no onions)
    - chicken broth -- low sodium

3. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Dan. It is always alarming when a cat who loves food stops eating. Carla gave you a list of all the tricks of the trade. My go to was always Beechnut baby food, all meat. And if that didn't work, az bit of oregano worked like a charm ( I think it smells like cat nip )

Pooping okay? If she doesn't pick back up today, I think a vet visit would be in order. Maybe something is going on like a bad tooth.

4. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hope Alley's appy picks up today. I'm having a similar issue with Maggie.

5. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

My 9 yr old has been giving me fits and has lost 10oz since August. As much as it pains me I’ve pulled out the Fortiflora and it’s working.

Eat your fuds Alley.

6. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Appy vines for Alley!

7. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Alley - time to eat, not messing around here, sending appy vines.

Good luck on finding a good trick. Jones loves a crunched up freeze dried treat on his food.

8. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Pancreatitis maybe? Any signs of nausea such as licking lips, drinking the liquid but walking away?:bighug:

9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

From my experience, if you can't tempt her to eat, it's time for a vetty visit. Maybe threaten her and see if that makes her eat. You don't want her to go 48 hours without food.

Sending appy vines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.