1-12 Ozgood AM+2 170

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ozgood, Jan 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ozgood

Ozgood Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/1-8-ozgood-amps-288.131173/

Thanks for the information on the insulin everyone. We plan to call the vet and have her give us the prescription for Oz's insulin so we can order it. Should I take a picture of our current vial of insulin? Just in case anyone is curious as to what the vial looks like.

Julie- Yes, Wedgewood is the correct name. As far as the protocol- we're just trying to get the poor guy the best we can! :) TRP would be ideal, but we're happy anytime he's in the 100s.

For today, 1-12:

Ozgood has been all over the past couple days again. We had a fur shot during the PM dose on 1-9. He was high for the next 18 hours; until AM +6 on 1-10. He was 53 at +6 today. I gave him a can of Fancy Feast after the +6 test. He shot up to 360 by +8! 388 at +10. Probably bouncing from the 53 earlier today?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Quite a bounce today from that 53! Fur shots can make for wonky cycles. Here's a post on Counting Cycles.

I know I'd be interested in seeing what the vial looks like, in case we see anyone else with something like that.

3. Ozgood

Ozgood Member

Here is a front and back picture of the vial. Note the barely visible "1ml" on the right of the back view. The rest talks about using within 28 days and how it's for use in non milk producing animals only.

So I wonder if his weird numbers are still related to the fur shot then? He was holding so nicely in blue and now he's all over the map again. The fur shot is the only difference between the blue days and now.

Attached Files:

4. Ozgood

Ozgood Member

537 at PMPS just now! Tomorrow morning we are going to switch to a new vial of insulin we have in the refrigerator. I want to get the insulin ordered from the Canadian pharmacy because I don't know how long it will take to get here. The vial we used tonight is getting near the end. In the past, his BG numbers have went weird when we get toward the end of the vial. It's almost like the last 1/6 of the vial is useless.

5. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

thanks for posting those pictures. I've been out of town and thinking of you guys and wondering what happened with his insulin. I'm noticing in that photo that it says that it's compounded (which should not be true of Lantus) and also that it's for veterinary use only. Lantus is a human insulin.

You also can get those crazy extreme bounces when the cat's body has gotten very unused to normal numbers. Spending so many days in solid pink numbers is likely to mean that he's gotta get re-accustomed to good numbers again. The good news is that he is clearing the bounces in just a day or so, so hopefully that's an indication that it's not going to take too long for him to settle back down again.

When you say you gave him a can of fancy feast at +6 - was that a can of high carb food or regular food?

How do you feel about complaining about the vet and this insulin issue? the thing that makes it so significant is that time is of the essence in helping a newly diagnosed cat's pancreas heal. The sooner they get into normal numbers (under 120) the better their chances are for becoming diet-controlled. I would be really unhappy about this, not to mention that this was illegal to repackage & resell the Lantus, making an enormous profit for the vet in doing so. I had to go to my vet and tell him the people on the diabetic cat forum online were telling me that I was using the wrong syringes (u-40) for the Lantus and thereby giving punkin 2.5x as much insulin as he was "supposed" to be getting. That wasn't a happy moment. I really liked my vet and it was a huge error on his part. It's not fun calling the vet on something like this, but I hope for the sake of every other diabetic cat in the practice and those coming after Ozgood, that you can do so.

Thank you very much for sharing the pictures. It may help someone else. I believe Wedgewood Pharmacy is a chain and I know I've heard people mention it on FDMB before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.