? 1/15 - Bandit - AMPS(272) +3(114) +4(88) - Reduce dose AGAIN?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Bandit's Mom, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Previous post - http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...1-10-92-11-103-amps-109-dosing-advice.224232/

Bandit has fallen below 90 and is due for a dose reduction as per SLGS. I reduced her dose by 0.25 just 4 cycles ago. Can I take another reduction so quickly? Do frequent dose reductions prevent an eventual strong remission in any way?

I expect further reductions necessary thanks to the food transition (16% carb kibble to Young Again zero carb kibble). She is fully transitioned and has no GI issues. I don't want to continue to feed her the old kibble just to prevent dose reductions.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

As it was 4 cycles ago I think you can take the reduction.
    The only problem is if the reduction fails you will have to wait the 7 days before doing the increase.
    But as you have been transitioning the food to L C I think it will be fine to take the reduction. Congratulations

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  3. Si am cat mom

Si am cat mom Well-Known Member

This would have been her first reduction that she earned. You gave her a reduction the other day because she was lower than you were comfortable and it was close to 90. I don't think you need to worry she is getting too many. I would just give her the space to earn her next reduction if she does need one. Like Bron said, you can always go back up if you need too but the time on this dose might give Bandit a chance to get used to some nicer numbers- and you used to shooting lower numbers and shot time :)

4. Bandit's Mom

I took the reduction because 92 was not much higher than the cut-off of 90. It possible I would have got an 88/89 if I had tested her a few minutes earlier or later. So I didn't want to split hairs.

You have a point about my being uncomfortable about the lower numbers. But the main reason I am keen on taking reductions is because of the food transition. 16% carb to zero carb is quite a fall in carbs being fed to her.

5. Bandit's Mom

@Si am cat mom Bandit is up to 95 at +5. (+3=114, +4=88 , +5=95). On the night of Jan 12th, she could very well have fallen below 90 in between readings since I didn't check her every hour (+8=121, +10=92).

6. Si am cat mom

Si am cat mom Well-Known Member

True- she might have. I just doesn't look like she is earning reductions too quickly so far. Those are steadier decreases in BG than we saw when I transitioned my guy to a no carb/ LC diet- which is a much better way to get reductions I'd think. Makoto was already on such a low dose that we ran out of space for reductions and that was the time I needed to worry about taking too many in the span of a few days.
    I just think if a person starts thinking about numbers you might have gotten or numbers that are close to the number you are getting when it comes to dose adjustments a person might drive themselves crazy. I would- especially with the variance in the glucometer readings already. Looks like these better numbers will likely become more frequent which will give you more data to use in determining how to handle her doses.
    She is looking quite wonderful lately ! I'm glad the food transition has worked out so well.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  7. Bandit's Mom

You are so right. Like Bandit's body, I too have gotten comfortable at higher numbers! :)
    But I am learning. Last time she hit 92, I gave her a few pieces of HC kibble. This time I just gave her a little zero carb ones. Next time I will just stall without feeding her.

Anyway,she stays at those low numbers only for 3-4 hours at best before she bounces and how!