1/15 Benny, AMPS 182

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Erin & Scott, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Erin & Scott

Erin & Scott Member

Quite pleased with Benny's numbers the last couple of days! If these hold for a few more days we'll attempt a small decrease.

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

That was a very nice cycle yesterday. Have you had a chance to read the stickies the
    TR or SLGS method? It will help guide when to do reductions.

3. Tracey&Jones (GA)

4. Erin & Scott

Erin & Scott Member

Yes, I have - we were really in over our heads the first week or so with trying to get the dosing right; much of the info out there pertains to the faster-acting insulins, so it took us awhile to find good information specific to Lantus (we knew absolutely nothing about managing feline diabetes!). Now our goal is to follow the TR protocol, and we're hoping that we're among the lucky ones and can get our little guy into remission.

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  5. Tracey&Jones (GA)

We have all been there. The mind is just numb! Hang in there ...it does get easier!:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Ok, we will see if he earns a reduction under TR then over the next few days.

6. Erin & Scott

Erin & Scott Member

Well, now I really need some advice - Benny's BG was down to 43 at last check (+6). According to the info in the sticky, this earns a dose reduction since it's <50 for a newly diagnosed cat. But the info on Tilly's page says reduce the dose if BG drops to between 40 & 50 three times on separate days.

I'm trying to keep a cool head, and have fed Benny a half-dozen Greenies along with about 1/3 packet of BFF chicken tickles, and will test him in 15 minutes. But faced with conflicting information, I'm not sure what to do. He has been as low as 57, and even at 43 he seemed quite bright and bouncy, but I'm not comfortable with the numbers going so low, even if he's not symptomatic.

ETA: BG back up to 85 at +7, so it looks like +6 is the nadir for his curve. Will continue to monitor, but definitely breathing more easily!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Reason for edit: Update BG numbers.
    Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  7. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hey there and congratulations, Benny just earned a reduction. He is a newly diagnosed kitty ( under 1 year) and reductions are taking when they go under 50. What you quoted on Tilly's page is for kitties over 1 year to wait until the BG drops between 40 -50 three separate days.

Erin & Scott likes this.
  8. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Congrats on the reduction!!!

That 43 is a take action number...just like you did...give some carbs, test again to see if he is going up. We usually suggest 20 mins, I have done every half hour until the number increases. As you learn his MO, you will know his nadir time and how fast he reacts to carb input...if in a panic - up date your thread title with the test result number and change the tag to 911. Someone will respond quickly and stay with you.

It is all new but you handle it...pat yourself on the back!

9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The three times between 40 and 50 is actually a reduction method here for kitties who don’t hold reductions well and are following TR. Long term diabetics (over 1 year diabetic), earn reductions by going under 40 or one week in normal numbers, ie. moatly under 80 on a human meter. Here is a post on earning reductions. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ng-reductions-and-starting-otj-trials.150160/

However, since you have dry food in the picture, you need to follow SLGS and reduce at below 90.

Good luck with the new dose,