? 1/15 Meme amps 100 +4 119 +8 161 ( descussion with Vet about Metacam??)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by rawia, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rawia

rawia Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...gh-blue-during-the-cycle.189472/#post-2108799

Hope everyone is doing fine today,

Before going through my descussion with the vet i would like to say that i am not happy with her BG today, it is always going high after the shot and i do not know why, seems like insulin is not effective :(. Even if her numbers are in green it is on high green ( around 90’s). @Marje and Gracie

She was doing well on both 0.1 and drop dose and now she is not, i have no explanation why this is happening ( is the dose too low ??).

Aftet these disappointed numbers i went to my vet to discuss her tooth extraction which will be next week.

The major discussion was about Metacam, some members told me not to accept Metacam but my vet was so confident about it.

She told me that Metacam is completely safe if the cat blood and urine test was good and as long as we are not use it for long term.

She said that they will give her injectable one and give me a syringe with very low dose to take it with me and give it at home if she needed.

Well i did my reading and there was different openion about this drug ( and i think that the dose in Europe is lower than the dose in US).

She said that other options may take longer time in healing process and at the end it is my decision but she recommend it.

I am little confused, i trusted my Vet but little nervous when told not to accept.

Did any one use Metacam and was fine with it ? Please share your openion with me and sorry for the long post.

Alicia & Maggie (GA) likes this.
  2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

There are a number of people who have used Metacam with no issues. There are a number of people who have used Metacam and their cats went into renal failure as a result. In the US, the Federal Drug Administration has a black box warning on it's use in cats. (A black box warning is a "use at your own risk" and it's one step below having a drug pulled off the market.) My vet, who is a cat only vet, will not prescribe it. Most of us ask for buprenorphine rather than Metacam because even at a low dose, we don't want to take the risk. Generally, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Metacam have a risk for acute renal failure.

As for MeMe's numbers, it's not unusual for a cat's numbers to rise for a couple of hours after a shot. You are dealing with the influence of food. Typically, the numbers come back down. As for today, you have one number that's outside of normal range. It could be due to anything. Was MeMe stressed or frightened by something? Did she manage to find some bit of high carb food? (We've had cats lick a plate in the sink that had dessert on it or find some other form of contraband that affected numbers.) See how the cycle plays out.

3. rawia

rawia Member

I do not think that she had any different food but sometimes she had bites of kittens dry food before i catched her but it was ok not rising the BG, the only case i expect when i see this mumber is upset stomach and hairball coming bit nothing until now.

I do not know what kind of alternative that my vet has because i do not live in US but is it like she said that any other pain killer will sliw the healing process??

And does Buprenorphine contain steroid?? I read that some people refuse steroid too?

4. rawia

rawia Member

And also is there any different between orally and injectable Metacam??

I read that oral one is non approved in US??

5. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

As far as I know neither is used by most vets in the US. Sienne explained why.

6. rawia

rawia Member

Ok should i named other painkiller or any other replacement would be fine??

Also is ot ok to contain steroid ( i read that it can affect BG and even take some cats out of remission)?

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I am in Canada, and my vet will not prescribe Metacam either. We also used buprenorphine, which is an opiod, not a steroid. You might wish to read or share the 2015 AAHA/AAFP Pain Management Guidelines for Dogs and Cats. I have seen some vets give a short course of Onsior (no more than 3 days as per manufacturer), but it is also an NSAID like Metacam.

8. rawia

rawia Member

Ok then i think i will email her and said No for Metacam.

She scared me when she said that other availabel painkillers are not effective as Metacam and it will make the healing process more slow than Metacam.

I histate at beginning because i trusted my vet but now with all this reading and feedbacks even if the risk is 1% i fo not want to take it.

9. rawia

rawia Member

Also it is one teeth extraction, i hope that the pain is not that much as my cat is very sinsitive to pain. She stayed more than one week not feeling well after getting her spayed , all my other cats recovery very well in less than two days.

10. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

The amount of pain could depend on which tooth, and whether the vet sees anything else in there at the time. I hope the vet is doing dental x-rays first. A couple of Neko's tooth issues were not visible to the eye, but showed up on x-ray.

11. rawia

rawia Member

They will remove her front teeth, she said it is ok because she is not using this for eating and chewing.

She told me that she will take more closely look when she is under surgery to tell if anything more is need it.

12. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I have used buprenorphine as well with success. It was used after a tooth extraction and for pancreatitis. My vet game me bupe for tge kittens after they were spayed as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.