1/16 Silver AMPS 288 PMPS 333

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Juliet, Jan 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Nothing new today....yellows and pinks.

Alicia & Maggie (GA) likes this.
  2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope you see some lower numbers soon.

Beth 73 and Juliet like this.
  3. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Come down a little, Silver, you can do it! :cat:

Juliet likes this.
  4. Juliet

Juliet Guest

5. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I saw this on Asia’s condo yesterday:

Juliet...if you are not making the effort to find a low carb, canned diet for Silver, it could very well be the reason why you are seeing such high numbers and feel like you are not making any progress. We used to have a member here who used Temptations to bring her kitty up from really low numbers. One Temptation did the trick. Feeding him a LC diet is not “obsessive”. It’s part of the treatment for feline diabetes. If you don’t want to make sure you are feeding him a LC diet, you might be stuck taking him to a much higher dose.

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

The even more cost effective treat would be cooked chicken. A boiled/microwaved/roasted chicken breast will go a long way if you cut it up into "treat" sized pieces. Using Temptations as a treat is about as effective in getting your cat regulated as shooting yourself in the foot.

Stacy & Asia and Juliet like this.
  7. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Expanding on what Marje said, when you start a LC wet diet for Silver, do it on a day that you are around to monitor. As the numbers can significantly drop. Fancy Feast CLASSICS are lower carb. The Roasted ones are more medium carb and any of the Gravy Lovers are going to be really high carb. You will want some higher carb if the event you need to steer up from a low number. Hint: Use a marker and put on the top on the higher carb cans that they are HC so you don't mistakenly give at meal times.

Oh, It looks like by your signature that you are all ready giving FF Classics. That's great. And yes, those temptations are like giving the kitty a candy bar.

8. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

AFAIK Juliet has been giving this low carb wet food forever. I knows this as when I started I looked at this FF classic product via her signature but they are too high phos for my cat.

Juliet likes this.
  9. Juliet

Juliet Guest

He IS on low carb canned food. Listed in my signature.

10. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Yes. Not sure where the idea came from that he’s not on lowcarb canned food. People sure jump to conclusions here. He gets one or two temptations at shot time. When I next have money I will look into something else. When.

11. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Thanks @PussCatPrince. People misinterpret like crazy! Jump down people’s throat without checking facts right in front of them.

12. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Thanks. I’ll try that. Can I buy packaged chicken slices?

13. PussCatPrince - GA

I do this as is suggested by @Sienne and Gabby (GA) . I buy chicken breast and poach it. Then chop it into treat size and freeze them.

You may not have facility to do all that so I would think cooked chicken slices would do the trick. Isn't it chicken that Silver does that melting moment lovely ,head on one side, look for

The vet gave me a MONSTER HUGE NO for the temptation treats when Ty's CKD was diagnosed. Shame for Ty as he liked them and we used them to play a hide and seek game with him. Ironic to think he then gave the monster huge yes for the prescription dry renal diet !

14. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Yes you’re right but I can’t give him that. It’s barbecued chicken. I don’t cook at all. I couldn’t poach an egg let alone chicken. I’ll look for the packaged stuff then. Thanks.

15. PussCatPrince - GA

Yes. I remembered you & cooking don't go hand in hand .

:smuggrin: That's no bad thing.

Juliet likes this.
  16. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Deli chicken, either packaged or sliced at the counter MAY be fine. Read the label carefully and/or drive the person at the counter crazy with questions. You need to be sure that the chicken isn't brined before it's cooked. Brining is soaking the chicken in a combination of sugar and salt. It can't be cooked with onions or garlic (onion family) since onions can contribute to aplastic anemia. And, obviously, no honey roasted chicken, barbecued chicken, etc. What you want is naked chicken or turkey. And ham is too salty. Depending on where you shop, they may have plain, unadulterated chicken or turkey breast in the prepared food case.

You may want to try to figure out if freeze dried chicken vs something that's already prepared are much different in price. I wasn't giving my kitty's big hunks of the freeze dried stuff. It lasts a while.

Another option as a treat is baby food. Many cats adore the stuff! You would want to buy either Gerber or Beechnut Stage 2 -- it's only broth and a protein. Beechnut does not contain any cornstarch whereas the Gerber's does. (The Gerber's is about 7% carb due to the cornstarch.)

Girlie's mom, Stacy & Asia and Juliet like this.
  17. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Some deli type meats are broiled using brine with sugars in them. So when you are looking make sure that you look at the ingredients and composition.

Stacy & Asia and Juliet like this.
  18. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Will do, thanks. I stopped the Temptations tonight so will see. That could explain why he has such a food hike at +2 and takes half the cycle to get back to preshot number. Tonight I just gave him a teaspoon of his FF as the pre test treat until I can get to the store.

19. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I'm in Canada - where would I find freeze dried chicken? Really I have very very little $ and spend more on the cats than on me. It may last a while - but you have to spend the full amount at once. I am about to run out of syringes and that's more of the priority for the budget. I unfortunately bought a big economy bag of Temptations that I can't now use. I just need a wee small thing to encourage him to come for his test and one after.

20. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You can buy "Pure Bites" freeze dried chicken at Pet Smart stores. The dog version is better value and you can break those larger chunks into small treats for your kitty. I don't recall the exact price - maybe around $7 CAD for a bag.

21. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Thanks! I get my cat litter there so I’ll take a look.

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  22. Kris & Teasel

Just thought of this: Canadian Tire carries a similar product called "Pure Snacks" in the pet food section of the store. There are chicken and fish versions. I've only seen the cat packages and they're about $4 CAD. They might have dog packages in their food section.

Tracey&Jones (GA) and Juliet like this.
  23. Juliet

Juliet Guest

And they are ok to give?

24. Kris & Teasel

Yes, they’re an American product and look exactly like the Pure Bites type.

Juliet likes this.
  25. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

Paws crossed for less of a food spike tonight!

26. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Check the ingredients list of the treat packages. It should just have one word, chicken, fish, turkey or whatever plain meat.

Girlie's mom and Juliet like this.
  27. Juliet

Juliet Guest

I’ll check when I go to bed. He was quite high at PMPS tonight.

28. Marje and Gracie

No one is jumping on you Juliet. Consider this:
    • people change things all the time and don’t update their signature block
    • you said "I don’t measure carbs by % and calories. I’m not that obsessive. I have no time or energy for that. He is off dry food and that’s all I plan to do re his diet”.
    If we misunderstand, you should look back at what you’ve written. I’m trying to help you figure out why he makes little progress and you very pointedly said you don’t pay attention to % carbs. Based on the number of times I’ve seen signature blocks with old info, I’m not going to take it for granted that’s still what you are doing after you make such a statement.

29. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Maybe ask next time what I am feeding him before responding. I was clearly referring to the treats in my reply to Stacy. And maybe re read your post to me. Kinder tone would have been better received.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  30. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Same hike actually...will see what happens over next couple days without the Temptations and if same, then we know its not making any difference to his numbers.

31. Marje and Gracie

Unfortunately, you didn’t say it was regarding treats and there is nothing in your signature block about treats.

There was nothing unkind in my tone.

32. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Juliet, you might want to consider Young Again Zero carb treats. My cats and dogs like them. They run about 7 bucks a pouch and last me one month and that is feeding treating 4 animals with them. I use them as my bribe for Bubba's test if he runs from me, I just have to shake the pouch. You can only get them directly from the company. They give free shipping with an order of $49 or more so I order enough to get the free shipping.

Please understand that everyone here is trying to help you. Sometimes things slip in the cracks and without everyone's brainstorming to offer ideas to me for Bubba, I don't think Bubba would be here now. I get that you are frustrated with not getting lower numbers and maybe that frustration is causing you to come across defensive and with a chip on your shoulder. Suggestions shouldn't be taken on as an attack. We are all on the same team to help you and Silver succeed. No one is trying to make you wrong; we are just trying to help you. . Remember, we are all volunteers and some of our veteran ones like Marje and Sienne remained here to help after their babies have passed. Obviously you love Silver so much or you wouldn't be here to seek help.

I have never met nicer kinder people than the family here on the board.

ETA: I checked your signature and wasn't sure where you were from. I just read up the post where you said you were in CA and I don't think Young Again ships to CA, but they might have changed that.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Reason for edit: ETA
    Marje and Gracie likes this.
  33. Juliet

Juliet Guest

We don’t get YA here.

I know people want to help but their tone is sharp and not kind on many occasions. It is very off putting and makes me want to quit this forum. As I already commented, encouragement while making a suggestion to do something different goes a lot further than the sharp dismissive comments I have received. @PussCatPrince and @Tracey&Jones and @Stacy & Asia know how to do this. We should follow their example of how to speak to people.

Anyways. I think the rules are not to comment in the previous day’s post.

34. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Actually I was talking to STACY about treats do if you read the full conversation in her condo it was clear. Signing off from this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.