1/17 Bailey AMPS 486 +6 248

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Wendy&Tiggy(GA), Jan 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Tiggys Previous post - Baileys previous post

Happy new year everyone!

Its been a busy time for me and I miss you guys - I have no time recently even to check in!

Anyway Iis also been busy for the boys. Early December I noticed Bailey was continuing to slowly lose weight- in a year he has lost a pound!. Prior two blood tests showed nothing except his thyroid creeping up and the test on December 19th showed he was at 60 which means treatment time - he is officially hyperthyroid. Something else to deal with along with the diabetes and EPI. Anyway we were leaving that day for two weeks to Florida for Xmas so decided not to treat until we got back. Also told the pet sitter not to shoot unless he was over 250 since he is a microdose cat and can easily hypo.

While we were away the pet sitter tested and he was over 250 twice and his BG seemed to slowly drop - I was very pleased and wondered if he was going into remission! So I was excited to get home.

Until I saw him. OMG he was skin and bones and I weighed him - 4.2lbs. He had lost a whole pound in two weeks!! I am now thinking that was the cause of the low BG too - not eating enough. When we are home he gets treats and LC dry food and so on and I guess that helps keep his weight (and BG up).. and without it he loses weight rapidly.. plus the hyperthyroid issue didn't help.

So day after we get back we start him on a low dose of felimazole pills. Day one was fine. Day two he stops eating entirely. I freaked out but I know its the pills so we stop the pill but its another 2 full days before he is eating again and I am freaking about him losing any more weight. 48hours and after a dose of combo anti-nausea and appetite stim pill, and he is finally eating again.

A few days after that and we start on transdermal ear gel. And so far (touch wood) the gel is working great, he is tolerating it fine. PLUS he has put that pound back on again. yay!

But now look at his BG... I don't know if its the dry food (its natures variety instinct raw - i am giving him a lot more to try and get weight on) but I also wonder if the thyroid med could be causing this.. any thoughts?

Wendy

PS Tiggy is doing fine - his BG isn't bad and his legs continue to worsen. He is still walking right now so we take comfort in that - but not sure how long for... He can't run any more - fast walk is best he can do which is sad - but he can still jump onto low furniture..

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I was thinking of you guys earlier today, so it's good to hear from you. :bighug: Sorry about Bailey's hyperthyroid, it can really mess with getting the regulation until you get it under control. But we have a few cats here with either hypo or hyperthyroid (Michael/Paula and Tiger/Ruth come to mind). And I remember Bruce/Simon, currently OTJ again, but has gone back on insulin when the thyroid numbers went off.

As for the food, we did have one member (Denise and Honey I think?), anyway, she went on vacation leaving the natures variety instinct raw dry food out for her kitties and came back to Honey falling out of remission.

Scritches from me to Tiggy and Bailey. I'm glad Tiggy is still walking and jumping. Neko doesn't run much anymore due to her arthritis. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.