1/18 Asia no shot +12 79, +1.25 104

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Stacy & Asia, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stacy & Asia

Stacy & Asia Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...pmps-89-1-68-1-5-70-2-89.189763/#post-2113406

Well I’m exhausted. Last night was another shoot low to go much lower cycle, she had been doing all this gentle stuff recently, I thought the cycle may play out differently (which is why I didn’t carb load PMPS, just to give her a chance to see if the pattern could carry) but it didn’t. It was a struggle keeping her numbers up last night. “Too much insulin, hooman” she said. Okay. Back to 1.25, hopefully the 1.50 gave her cycles a kick in the pants to stay a bit lower and she can work with 1.25 now! Not sure if it works like that, but I don’t think she’d have had that string of greens without it. Perhaps I should have tried an increase in between 1.25 and 1.5.

Carb loaded the 79 AMPS with 2 tsp gravy and 3 drops of Karo, gave me a 117 +1, much better.

I feel like when I give her carbs (in addition to sustaining food) to work from a higher number (like today) it’s very short acting, as in she just wants to go wherever she has in mind to go, let’s pretend it’s 55, and if she’s dropping like that, feeding, HC, karo, it’s like throwing a speed bump in the road, it trips her up, but she’s determined to go down anyway, it doesn’t seem like the carbs turn that would be 55 into a 75, it feels like it gives a fake high number and she slams right back down to that 55 as soon as she can.

I just don’t see it slow her down any, on a gentle cycle, yes, it really works to the point of put the brakes on, but on these types of cycles, not one bit. Almost all of her cycles in good numbers have been these types of cycles. I don’t know why she had that string of gentle and flat cycles, but the greens seemed to scare them off. Hope the gentle cycles come back and make friends with the green numbers.

2. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

I hope that the 1.5 gave her cycles a kick in the pants and that she holds the 1.25u this time round getting back on track with those numbers.

I haven't had a chance to look the CKD P stuff up, been unexpectedly busy this morning. I'll go see if I can find it now.

:cat::cat::cat:
    Yo Asia, cousin and Dep BFG here,
    Youz keep out of da deep wata,
    Or izz makes u wear da floaties,
    but weez wantz to see u practicing da surfin skills in da lagoon every day.
    Dep BFG

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  3. Stacy & Asia

Thank you so much, take your time, I’m so sleep deprived my brain isn’t working right now anyway. Spent many hours on Tanya’s site last night, while brain wasn’t working, not sure if it did me a bit of good. :facepalm:

What does BFG stand for? All I know is the Roald Dahl book, The BFG (big friendly giant), is that George’s nickname?

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Asia will surf safely for you today and you can get a nap in. She sure does keep you on your toes.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  5. Gill & George

Here are the values from Tanyas site, here's the link to the page

http://www.felinecrf.org/phosphorus.htm#phosphorus_goal_bloodwork

These values apply to adult cats. If your cat is very young (6-12 months old), then a higher phosphorus target is appropriate, because kittens need phosphorus for their bones to grow properly. Check out the tableabove and discuss with your vet what would be an acceptable level.

Phosphorus Goal: US Values

IRIS Stage 2
    Creatinine Level in mg/dl
    Between 1.6 and 2.8
    Phosphorus Target

2.7 - 4.59 mg/dl

IRIS Stage 3
    Between 2.9 and 5.0
    Phosphorus Target

Below 5.0 mg/dl

IRIS Stage 4
    Over 5.0
    Phosphorus Target

Below 6.0 mg/dl

It is a reference to the Big Friendly Giant, he is a big boy, and it's his nick name.
    One of our friends in the UK used to call him Big Fat George, we think it's more polite to refer to him as Bif 'Fluffy' Georgre, he's a bit sensitive about his excess fluff:rolleyes::)

Myagi (GA) and Heidi likes this.
  6. Stacy & Asia

Yes she does! :facepalm: I really, desperately need a nap, it’s not looking possible anytime soon.

7. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry to see Asia put you to the test last night. Wishing you smooth, green seas for lovely sailing and no sharks in sight. :cat:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  8. Stacy & Asia

Right, I did see this last night and also about how you can get aluminum toxicity with too much p binder. She’s getting the upper end of what they recommend already 1/3 tsp. Have to figure out what to do about that, when brain is working, of course.

Aw, big fluffy George, I love it!

Gill & George likes this.
  9. Stacy & Asia

35! :stop: I think she’s figured out which food I hide the b12 in. She eats it, but takes her time, I offered her new food sans b12 and she chowed down. I think I’m going to have to get the injectable. I don’t think she would have gone that low if she was doing more eating and less nibbling.

10. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Myagi (GA) and Heidi Well-Known Member

C'mon up Asia! That is the wrong green my beauty!!

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  11. Stacy & Asia

25 minutes later after 20% gravy, 4 fat drops of Karo and 3 tsps of radcat, only 69. By comparison, on the 12th at near +3...she went from 77 to 129 on half tsp of just HC gravy in just 15 minutes AND she stayed up over the number I raised for 4 hours. What in the world? :confused:

12. Stacy & Asia

+6 88, can we be over the Karo intervention hump now, please?

Myagi (GA) and Heidi likes this.
  13. Tasha & Darwin

Tasha & Darwin Well-Known Member

Goodness me Asia - we like green, but not that green sweetie!

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  14. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Hope she surfs the rest of the day. Typically a number in the 30's is a reduction but of course you just reduced today so likely not a good idea to reduce again tonight. However if you have to keep fighting her numbers I'd consider it.

Just an observation/ suggestion for next time around. Have to love that there is usually a "next time". After an increase if you see green (even if just for a wee bit) in the first 6 cycles hold the dose a little longer before increasing. I know you want her in all green with blue but sometimes they need a little extra time to settle into a dose. We say it's ok to increase during a bounce but not on a bounce cycle. IMHO she was clearing a little mini bounce yesterday that went into the evening and the little extra juice has created the extra momentum. Also realize advise was given to go ahead and increase when you did. None of us have a crystal ball of course. Remember patience is often rewarded.

15. Stacy & Asia

Hi Karen! :)

Thank you for your insight. Yeah, she sure did get a lot of momentum. :facepalm: I hoped that it would jump her cycles away from the kidney unfriendly numbers. I couldn't tell what she was trying to do after the vet visit, it really threw her off and I felt bad about messing with her bupe dose because that didn't help. :(

16. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

I do hope you get some sleep. Looks like a rotten night {{hug}}

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  17. Stacy & Asia

+12 79, she hasn’t been eating well all day, she’s eating, but only nibbles and I think that’s why her numbers have been lower than they would have been. I don’t think she’s feeling great but I can’t pinpoint any specific symptom, she’s just not herself. :(

18. PussCatPrince - GA

:(
    Nothing tempting her?

19. Stacy & Asia

She would probably eat some gravy if I gave it to her, but she’s not a very interested in food cat in general, she’s been eating today but it’s just a bite or two and she walks away. Could be her teeth or she could just be feeling bad. When I pick her up she groans and that’s not usual for her. She seems to feel worse after I give her fluids as well.

20. Alicia & Maggie (GA)

Alicia & Maggie (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry she feeling off. Healing vines for sweet Asia. :bighug:

21. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Vines and prayers....

22. carfurby (GA)

I'm sorry Asia is not feeling well. I hope you can get her to eat something. Sending prayers.

23. carfurby (GA)

I'm sure you've seen it, but here is the list of things to tempt a cat to eat.

Do you have any parmesan cheese? If you maybe sprinkle a little of that on her food, she will perhaps eat? usually ondansetron is better for nausea than cerenia but it doesn't hurt to give her the cerenia....it can help.

Can you finger feed her....either see if she will lick food off your finger or will she let you dab some on the front of her tongue or on the roof of her mouth? Just be careful that it's only a small amount and that you don't get it down her throat.

Here's some info Jill often posts when a kitty won't eat:Here are some things you can do do entice your cat to eat:

-sometimes in order to get a cat to eat you even have to resort to dry it is more important that they eat. there are a couple low carb / grain free brands -- EVO and wellness core.

-making a buffet to give him choices
    - heating food

sprinkle food with :
    - forta flora -- a probiotic you can get at vets or online. is very smelly and cats love the taste of it.
    - parm. cheese
    - smashed crumbles of dry food
    - Purebites Duck Liver -- crushed and put on as a topper.
    - bonito tuna flakes
    - halo chicken treats -- crumble into dust over food
    - poor a little water from tuna in water over food ( I use low sodium/no sodium added as other kinds in water has veg. broth in it and I assume that means onions, which are toxic to cats-- check labels)
    -powdered oregano. yep sounds weird . but some cats like it and it will entice them to eat.

other ideas of foods to offer your kitty to stim appy:
    - trader joe tuna for cats
    -baby food -- beechnut turkey and broth or chicken and broth. they have no onions or other additives. some babyfoods have onions . please read labels if you can't find beechnut.
    - kentucky fried chicken
    - deli turkey /chicken
    - plain cooked ( boiled or baked ) chicken breast
    -canned chicken for people (watch the label that their are no onions)
    - chicken broth -- low sodium

24. Stacy & Asia

Thanks Carla, I gave her a choice of all the foods I have on hand. She ate a couple bites of one of them. She’s not refusing to eat, she just won’t eat very much and I don’t feel safe giving her insulin right now because I can get gravy and Karo in to her, but she’s just not eating real meals. I’ve dumped out so many barely touched bowls of radcat today.

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  25. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Would she take the B12 in a pill pocket?

26. Stacy & Asia

I haven’t tried them in years, but she didn’t like them before, she’s never liked any sort of cat treats, she does sometimes like the freeze dried chicken, but sometimes she flat ignores them. She’s never been food motivated which makes this all a bit tricky.

27. PussCatPrince - GA

Could she be just out of sorts after the trip to the vet ?

28. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Well I guess you could just open her mouth and drop it in like I have to do with my civvie?

29. Stacy & Asia

It was a full week ago, so I don't think so.

30. Stacy & Asia

I wish, can't go in her mouth, she's extremely sensitive about it, that's pretty much the only thing she wouldn't let me do, vet can't even get in there for a look.

31. PussCatPrince - GA

Soz Stacy. I thought it was yesterday for some reason. :(

32. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Ok as lame as this may sound, sometimes the only way i get Myagi to eat when He won't is to go behind him and scratch his neck and sides and give him kisses (almost like I'm laying on him). He'll usually start and eat until i stop. :rolleyes: so far it's been good in a pinch, even if being bent over liked that hurts my back! ;)

Susan&Felix(GA) and Stacy & Asia like this.
  33. Stacy & Asia

She ate part of a freeze dried chicken treat. Put catnip and parm on her food, she liked the catnip, but didn’t eat the food.

34. Stacy & Asia

That’s really cute. Usually if she’s dead asleep and I wake her up she goes right for the food, not today though. She ate after the 35, so that’s good, she knew she needed to, but it still wasn’t a lot and she’s just not interested in eating, don’t know why.

35. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

Sending appy vines and love! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  36. Stacy & Asia

Thank you. I’m sad to skip her shot tonight but it’s too risky if she won’t eat. I hope she doesn’t go too high. :(

37. Myagi (GA) and Heidi

She's got her depot and increase and very little food on board. I hope she doesn't go too high either, but I don't think she will. Prayers :)

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  38. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

She's determined to let you get some sleep. Hope you both have a good night.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  39. Stacy & Asia

Thanks, Susan! Sleep is much needed.

40. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Get some good sleep tonight Stacy. :bighug:Tomorrow is another day. I might ask about a nausea med (ondansetron, Cerenia). good stuff to have around. Neko would do the nibble a bit and walk away thing, but nausea meds helped pick up the pace.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  41. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

It’s smart that you skipped tonight...you are exhausted and a break would be great for you both.

It’s possible the 1.5u just gave her a swift kick. I was interested in your observations because I often felt the same way about Gracie’s cycles. It was if she was on a mission to get to a specific number no matter how I tried to manage it. I interpreted that’s her depot was just really full.

Sending many vines and white light. I hope she’s better tomorrow. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

42. Gill & George

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.